• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington Trip 2-8-04

Joshua

Was out the door at 5am under beautiful moonlit skies. My temp gauge read 16 in the parking lot in Springfield when I left.

After an easy and bright (cuz of the moon) drive, arrived at Killington at 7:25am with a temp of ZERO!! Knew it was going to be cold. Roads still had some fresh snow on them from the recent storms.

Was at the K1 Gondola at 8am on the nose, and was the 5th person on the lift. Mountain looked plenty snow covered from the Gondola.

First tracks were amazing, with a mix of soft packed powder and powder. Spent most of the morning in the Canyonarea going through the woods. Some nice powder but could tell there was some ice the other day, wasn't pure powder all the way through, which made it a little sticky.

After the canyon, went to my secret places on Snowdon, and the not so secret low rider. Again, good powder, but not 100% pure.

After lunch, made my way over to Bear, Skye, and the woods next to super star. No wait on the chairs, however the Gondolas had huge lines. It was cold, but not brutal, and the winds died down very quickly so chair rides were not a problem.

All in all, a sunny, chilly, and great day skiing for my 11th time out this year, and 4th to Killington They could still use more natural snow, but no bare spots, and very little ice. Some trails were still closed, and realized 2/3 down why it was a bad idea to cut the rope on the closed Julio Zone when there was no snow to ski on.

Temp was 11 when I left at 2pm.

O

oldhippie

Killington

Joshua, excellent report. You are one dedicated skier to get up at that time of the morning and ski that cold weather!

big thumbs up on that one!!

Thanks!

skijay

I plan on skiing Killington on Tuesday. Thanks for the report.