• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington will Open Before Sunday River This Season

skiersleft

The only reason killington opened first last year was because SR allowed it. It was a respectful gesture after hurricane Irene. It wont happen again.

It opened before SR because they are in a better position than SR to open early and stay open. SR can't open earlier than K and stay open because K's elevation advantage is too much for SR to counteract. So, on a normal year, K will have a better window for snowmaking than SR now that K has the stairway. That's a fact. The only reason why SR competes is because they have the will to open as soon as possible and paint the trails super thin and close right after they open if that's what it takes. K, on the other hand, takes a more conservative approach. They will open first if they can do so with a quality product and if they can open and stay open. If not, they will open second. But they have better tools to get it done earlier than SR. It's just a matter of will.

And since I'm an optimist, I think they will open first again for two reasons. First, because they can and they have the advantage over SR in terms of elevation and temperatures. Second, because they tasted what comes with opening first and early and they liked it. Bet they want to taste that again. SR's days as the king of fall are over.

tt431

It opened before SR because they are in a better position than SR to open early and stay open. SR can't open earlier than K and stay open because K's elevation advantage is too much for SR to counteract. So, on a normal year, K will have a better window for snowmaking than SR now that K has the stairway. That's a fact. The only reason why SR competes is because they have the will to open as soon as possible and paint the trails super thin and close right after they open if that's what it takes. K, on the other hand, takes a more conservative approach. They will open first if they can do so with a quality product and if they can open and stay open. If not, they will open second. But they have better tools to get it done earlier than SR. It's just a matter of will.

And since I'm an optimist, I think they will open first again for two reasons. First, because they can and they have the advantage over SR in terms of elevation and temperatures. Second, because they tasted what comes with opening first and early and they liked it. Bet they want to taste that again. SR's days as the king of fall are over.
I think Woodburry could be the King this year.

jaytrem

Hasn't Sunday River been open a lot more early season days than Killington in recent years? Not just open for an early day or two. I seem to remember them being open for a boat load of days when nobody else was. Or is my memory failing me?

skiersleft

Hasn't Sunday River been open a lot more early season days than Killington in recent years? Not just open for an early day or two. I seem to remember them being open for a boat load of days when nobody else was. Or is my memory failing me?

Recently, SR has opened and then closed, whereas K opens and stays open. In any case, the point is that the stairway at K is a game changer. It was closer in the past because it was difficult for K to open top to bottom having to blow down to K1. Now that we have the stairway, K can concentrate on blowing snow from 4200ft down to 3600ft. That's a huge advantage for Kton vis a vis SR. And it shows. K just has a natural advantage over SR now. Props to SR for having the will to open, but more often than not, K will have a better window. And that actually allows them to open early and stay open.

ScottySkis

Recently, SR has opened and then closed, whereas K opens and stays open. In any case, the point is that the stairway at K is a game changer. It was closer in the past because it was difficult for K to open top to bottom having to blow down to K1. Now that we have the stairway, K can concentrate on blowing snow from 4200ft down to 3600ft. That's a huge advantage for Kton vis a vis SR. And it shows. K just has a natural advantage over SR now. Props to SR for having the will to open, but more often than not, K will have a better window. And that actually allows them to open early and stay open.
Vermont gets more snow then Sunday River yes we all know that, but I love that Sunday River is having such a long season that is great, but I still will not travel almost 4 hours unless at least hallf the hills are are open.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

steamboat1

I think the earliest I ever skied was Nov. 28 so it really doesn't matter to me who opens 1st.

1st ski day planned this year with friends is Sat. Dec. 1. I'll probably go up myself a day or 2 early so I might be skiing in Nov. again this year.

Vortex

Love These. It will be a couple of hours either way most likely.

I was the first down Sunday River last year. :) My avatar was the picture in the paper.

K has all the advantages. Sunday River does what ever it can to get open. Both make good runs at it. Sr does not have the early season base to need to open midweek.

K seems to have enough business to open early midweek.

SR skiesr seem to have little concern about the early mid week closures. More talk by those not there about this, than those at Sunday River. See all on the hill in Oct. The Phoenix?House and Well has events planned the last weekend of Oct. I will be there. Maybe earlier.

Last edited:

oakapple

Has there ever been a year when Sunday River had more total early-season days open than Killington? Aside from bragging rights, I don't see a whole lot of meaningful benefit if you open first, but then promptly close up shop again.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The winter prior to the Stairway being installed at K? IIRC the Stairway was put in because Killington wasn't able to open until after Thanksgiving weekend the prior year. I think Sunday River was the only place in the east that had November skiing that season.

Vortex

SR Skiers are happy with what is going on. It Sells passes, and Real Estate. I like Oct and Early November turns. This is done to keep pass holder happy, At least a large part of it. SR is usually top to bottom a few days after opening too.

bzrperfspec77

It was my first year last year looking for early season tracks and I appreciated Killington being open on November 1st! When we were snowed in (Berkshires - My house had 20 inches) and no power at work, My buddy and I drove up to Killington and got 11/1/11 tickets! Pretty cool deal, wish I got an October ticket, but that is by far the earliest for me... I will be watching again this year which resort opens first! Great bragging rights and something to do while waiting for others to open!

Riverskier

A few things:

1) Cannonist is right about last year. They opened on the same day. When K announced they would open at 10:00, SR announced they would open at 10:01. It was a respectful gesture after Irene. That day SR actually started loading the lift at their usual opening time of 8:00, but the "official" opening time was 10:01. It doesn't matter anyway, the same day is tie.

2) SR does not paint the trails. They put down a good base on T2 and in my experince rock skis aren't required.

3) SR does not close right after they open. They utilize a weekends only operating schedule early season. It makes sense from a business perspective, and in my experience, most SR regulars (myself included) don't care. Sure, some mid week passholders complain, but most people ski weekends anyway, and I don't know too many people who want to burn vacation days to ski one trail in October.

4) You are correct that K has a huge elevation advantage (about 1500 feet) and could win a race to open 9 times out of 10. I am not sure anybody would really argue that point. That said, SR skiers can sit back and know that as soon as there is an 18 hour window (this happened around 10/12 back in 2009) of below freezing temps that SR will fire up the guns and open. I think most people would agree that the jury is still out on how aggressive K is willing to be.

5) Personally I don't care who opens first. I am just excited to know that based on the last few years, I will likely be skiing at SR in a month!