• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington will Open Before Sunday River This Season

mister moose

SR can't open earlier than K and stay open because K's elevation advantage is too much for SR to counteract. So, on a normal year, K will have a better window for snowmaking than SR now that K has the stairway. That's a fact.

Nope.

There are seasons where warm air stays entrenched, and nobody makes snow. Then the first big cold front arrives, and SR can open overnight whereas K cannot. That happens about 40% of the time. Put down the Kool Aid, and start watching the weather.

skiersleft

Nope.

There are seasons where warm air stays entrenched, and nobody makes snow. Then the first big cold front arrives, and SR can open overnight whereas K cannot. That happens about 40% of the time. Put down the Kool Aid, and start watching the weather.

1. It doesn't happen 40% of the time.

2. Even if it does, by your own numbers it is still the case that K has a better shot at opening early in a "normal year" (read: in 60% of the years according to your made up stat).

3. Do you have a chest full of bogus stats at home or do you just make them up on the fly?

mister moose

1. It doesn't happen 40% of the time.

2. Even if it does, by your own numbers it is still the case that K has a better shot at opening early in a "normal year" (read: in 60% of the years according to your made up stat).

3. Do you have a chest full of bogus stats at home or do you just make them up on the fly?

1. I said "about" 40%. That's not a stat. That's an estimate based on decades of skiing. A stat is based on facts, like who carried the first public skier last year up a chairlift. Better check your own "stats".

2. You said, "that's why they can now easily beat SR if they are so inclined." To which I said it is still weather dependent.

I have a case of Long Trail that says SR will open before Killington this season, meaning the first lift served publicly available ski run. Not because I'm sure it will happen, but because it very well might happen, and I'm willing to give you a (approximate) 60/40 advantage just to have the chance of getting a case of beer based on a skiersleft proclamation.

skiersleft

1. I said "about" 40%. That's not a stat. That's an estimate based on decades of skiing. A stat is based on facts, like who carried the first public skier last year up a chairlift. Better check your own "stats".

2. You said, "that's why they can now easily beat SR if they are so inclined." To which I said it is still weather dependent.

I have a case of Long Trail that says SR will open before Killington this season, meaning the first lift served publicly available ski run. Not because I'm sure it will happen, but because it very well might happen, and I'm willing to give you a (approximate) 60/40 advantage just to have the chance of getting a case of beer based on a skiersleft proclamation.

Wager accepted, IF you agree to drinking the first bottle of the case with me at a place to be determined by you, my friend. We can toast to an awesome ski season. Are we on?

Newpylong

This argument is ridiculous. Sunday River beat the snot out of Killington until they built the stairway. Now the playing field is more level. It could go either way, depending on many conditions. Killington has the elevation advantage. Sunday River has the ideal setup for opening in 24 hours due to snowmaking, lift and trail config. So each has its advantages but they could be offset by the unknown.

WWF-VT

Sunday River opens ahead of Killington prompting Highway Star to launch his annual Killington = EPIC FAIL! thread.

slatham

My 2 cents.....

If there is a strong cold front that comes through, as it pertains to being open, elevation doesn't play that much of a role. Hence Woodbury in CT can open. Its firepower and will power that make the difference. On the other hand, if its a weak to moderate cold spell, the 1,500' of extra elevation that Killington has can make all the difference in the world, so Killington would win. Where the elevation really comes into play is keeping the base, and being above the rain/snow line during early season storms, which often sets up at 2,500 to 3,000 feet.

My bet is a tie. We get a solid cold front, they both crank it out and open on the same day (with maybe some company??) like last year.

And regarding the ideal set up for early, high elevation skiing? Sugarbush's Mt Ellen wins this hands down. 1,100' of vertical, including FIS, all above 3,000', serviced by a Quad with an easy download on a HSQ. But alas there is no will.........

THINK SNOW!

skiersleft

Wager accepted, IF you agree to drinking the first bottle of the case with me at a place to be determined by you, my friend. We can toast to an awesome ski season. Are we on?

Silence from Da Moose is deafening. Are you in or not?

thetrailboss

Staff member
And regarding the opening and then immediately closing argument: why is not mention made of Woodbury? I recall them doing that and closing for weeks until cold weather settles in for good.

skiersleft

And regarding the opening and then immediately closing argument: why is not mention made of Woodbury? I recall them doing that and closing for weeks until cold weather settles in for good.

Yes. And they suck for that. Just like SR sucks for opening and closing as well.

Puck it

Come on, we all know what mountain has the best set up currently for opening early. But it will never happen. Wish it would though.

mister moose

Silence from Da Moose is deafening. Are you in or not?

Of course I'm in, I made the offer.

There is life other than the internet you know. Sheesh, you gave me what, 3 hours, and declared the silence deafening?

skiersleft

Of course I'm in, I made the offer.

There is life other than the internet you know. Sheesh, you gave me what, 3 hours, and declared the silence deafening?

I had to strike while the iron was hot. Good. In 5 weeks, give or take several days, I shall be drinking a beer with you from the case that you bought me after losing the bet.

What happens, BTW, if for some weird reason they both open the same day?