• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killllington ๐ŸŽฟ๐Ÿ‚๐Ÿ‚๐ŸŽฟ๐ŸŽฟ๐Ÿ‚๐Ÿ‚๐ŸŽฟ๐Ÿ˜€

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I don't park at Skyeship for the skiing (nor does anyone likely). I park there because it's closest to me, there is always ample parking, no lines, and in 10 minutes you're sitting pretty smack in the middle of the resort and can go off in any direction. At the end of the day you have another 10 minute easy ride down GE or Home Stretch as a cool down. Different strokes for different folks.

Ditto. I would daytrip to K 2-5 days a season. It's 3.5 hours to K1. Shaving 15 minutes off each direction is a big win for me. And lower GE is probably my guilty pleasure trail. Also my ski club house was 25 minutes to Skyeship from Weston. 40 minutes to K1. So skiing K 2...3...4 days in a row it certainly saves some time.

I've done plenty of days at each K lodge though. Probably 30% Bear, 30% K1, 20% Skyeship, and yep...I've done plenty of Ramshead and Snowshed starts too.

Pez

Skyeship Closed; tentative opening Friday, Jan 21. Stay tuned above for updates on snowmaking progress on Lower Great Eastern.

Pez

It's just closest for me and during the week there aren't too many people there.

Geoff

So out of shape skiers who skid turns need snow tires?
I have Nokians on an Outback. After selling my Killington place of 26 years, I now qualify as out of shape skier and I probably skid my turns a bit. So you need both snow tires and AWD if youโ€™re out of shape.

Geoff

Ditto. I would daytrip to K 2-5 days a season. It's 3.5 hours to K1. Shaving 15 minutes off each direction is a big win for me. And lower GE is probably my guilty pleasure trail. Also my ski club house was 25 minutes to Skyeship from Weston. 40 minutes to K1. So skiing K 2...3...4 days in a row it certainly saves some time.

I've done plenty of days at each K lodge though. Probably 30% Bear, 30% K1, 20% Skyeship, and yep...I've done plenty of Ramshead and Snowshed starts too.
Since they put in the K1, I always bought the season parking pass and parked in the pay lot as close to the rock at the Snowdon quad/bubble as possible. The exception was tailgate season when I parked at the snowcat gate closer to the gondola shed. And on the road getting eaten by black flies when it shrank to just the Superstar lift.

Great Bear

It is interesting - I honestly can't ever remember parking at the base of Skyship. I tend to go K1 close to the bubble, Vale lot or Bear. With that said I can see why people would like the Skyship base as their starting point, and I do really enjoy doing the peak to creak run here and there through the ski season (especially when our kids were younger).

Razor

Coming from south of Boston, we love parking at the Skyship base. We can park right next to the lodge, boot up in a quiet, relaxing lodge with few people (we're midweek skiers), and hop on the gondola with no line for a warm ride up, allowing time to buckle up with no hassles. And we love ending the day with the long run from the top of Killington Peak down to route 4. Plus we're 15 minutes closer to home than if we were coming from the main base.

Geoff

Coming from south of Boston, we love parking at the Skyship base. We can park right next to the lodge, boot up in a quiet, relaxing lodge with few people (we're midweek skiers), and hop on the gondola with no line for a warm ride up, allowing time to buckle up with no hassles. And we love ending the day with the long run from the top of Killington Peak down to route 4. Plus we're 15 minutes closer to home than if we were coming from the main base.
10 minutes closer but yeah. On a day trip, that helps. In the Preston Smith era, I pretty much always parked in the Bear upper lot by the Fiddle quad. Back then, Bear was the only place with uphill capacity so you could ski Wildfire, OL, and Fiddle using the Fiddle chair with minimal lines. The K double would be 45 minutes.

cdskier

Do they run needles quad midweek if the sky ship is running?
Last year in the spring when I was there Needles Eye Quad was running midweek even though Skyeship was running (sadly that day Canyon wasn't running and that was when I learned they alternate Canyon quad days midweek).

Rogman

Nominal Killington Midweek Schedule:
North Ridge: Tuesday Thursday, Friday
Canyon: Monday Wednesday Friday
South Rudge: Friday?

Wedkends and Holidays they run everything.

They ran the Needles chair daily last year due to the pandemic, and have continued to do that this year. However, that may change come Monday with Skyeship open T2B.

Staffing shortages have occasionally affected scheduling, but I think/hope that is behind them. AFAIK, they do not publish a weekly schedul, itโ€™s just thatโ€˜s how it works out.

Last edited:

nh2maboarder

Nominal Killington Midweek Schedule:
North Ridge: Tuesday Thursday, Friday
Canyon: Monday Wednesday Friday
South Rudge: Friday?

Wedkends and Holidays they run everything.

They ran the Needles chair daily last year due to the pandemic, and have continued to do that this year. However, that may change come Monday with Skyeship open T2B.

Staffing shortages have occasionally affected scheduling, but I think/hope that is behind them. AFAIK, they do not publish a weekly schedul, itโ€™s just thatโ€˜s how it works out.
Thanks for the detailed response. Looking at their live map today, every lift is spinning except for South Ridge, Snowshed double and one of the carpets. Maybe they were bracing for a busier than usual Friday given the good conditions.

Rogman

They havenโ€™t run South Ridge yet this season, so I donโ€™t know if weโ€™ll see it this weekend all, everything else is pretty normal for a Friday.