• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Kinda of Appropriate for the Things Going on Right Now

Puck it

All of the recent issues could have been avoided if step 1 was followed.

and the rest!!!

jack97

yep, it is appropriate.

one serious q, how is a police officer suppose to handcuff a suspect weighing over 300 lbs and over 6 foot tall if he is resisting arrest?

bigbog

Thought that was always the place for the squad car taser? ...but I think they'd better revamp their procedure if they want any tourism next spring/summer...:lol: Then again the use of the brain never was high on the list of NYPD prerequisite behavior..

deadheadskier

Staff member
yep, it is appropriate.

one serious q, how is a police officer suppose to handcuff a suspect weighing over 300 lbs and over 6 foot tall if he is resisting arrest?

In this case? You don't

He was selling loose cigarettes. That's like arresting someone for J-walking. Write the dude a ticket and move on. Seriously, the crime isn't worth the gas in the tank to bring the guy down to the station. If I found out a cop in my town was wasting his time and tax payer money arresting people for such petty crimes, I'd want him regulated to traffic duty for 3 months. That is of course if my town had traffic.

Don't get me wrong, the dude screwed up by resisting arrest. However, he never should have been arrested in the first place. We have got a serious problem with over policing in this country and are incarceration rate is a joke. Part of the reason why is stupid crap like this. It's a cop justifying his pay check; not protecting and serving.

jack97

In this case? You don't

He was selling loose cigarettes. That's like arresting someone for J-walking. Write the dude a ticket and move on. Seriously, the crime isn't worth the gas in the tank to bring the guy down to the station. If I found out a cop in my town was wasting his time and tax payer money arresting people for such petty crimes, I'd want him regulated to traffic duty for 3 months. That is of course if my town had traffic.

Don't get me wrong, the dude screwed up by resisting arrest. However, he never should have been arrested in the first place. We have got a serious problem with over policing in this country and are incarceration rate is a joke. Part of the reason why is stupid crap like this. It's a cop justifying his pay check; not protecting and serving.

Without hearing what was said by the police, you can't tell that the intention by the police was to arrest him in the first place. Maybe they told him to move on and the guy started shouting, leave me alone. And thats when the sh!t hit the fan.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If there was no intention to arrest, I think that information would have been revealed by now.

JimG.

Staff member
In August I was driving up to Cornell with my second son to start his freshman year. We were both driving, me leading and Peter behind me. We were going 65 on route 17. Cop pulls my son over. I of course pulled over also just ahead. I got out of my car and started walking to my son's car. Cop (young guy, probably a rookie) jumped out of his car and started yelling something at me and gesturing. I stopped and stood there watching him scream at me and making gestures. Finally, he gets in his car and both he and my son drive to where I was.

Now he starts screaming at me again. Tells me I am to stay in my car until directed otherwise and then tells me that he has the authority to draw his gun on me and shoot if I had come closer. So I told him that I will get out of my car anytime I want, especially when it concerns my son getting pulled over for nothing. And I told him I am happy to die by his hand if it means my son is safe. Nobody is going to tell me I can't do this or that when it comes to my family.

He let my son go with a warning but never acknowledged what I said or said I'm sorry. Not that I expected it.

This is what you are dealing with today, paranoid cops with itchy trigger fingers looking to shoot something. My suggestion is to stay away from them and do nothing to antagonize them. Because if you do anything outside the law this is what you can expect. And if you like to tempt fate or challenge the cops, prepare for a bad outcome for yourself.

Puck it

In this case? You don't

The mayor's office told the police to crack down on this since they were loosing taxes. Cops are not suppose to do worry about taes not being collected. There are other agenices for it.

snoseek

In August I was driving up to Cornell with my second son to start his freshman year. We were both driving, me leading and Peter behind me. We were going 65 on route 17. Cop pulls my son over. I of course pulled over also just ahead. I got out of my car and started walking to my son's car. Cop (young guy, probably a rookie) jumped out of his car and started yelling something at me and gesturing. I stopped and stood there watching him scream at me and making gestures. Finally, he gets in his car and both he and my son drive to where I was.

Now he starts screaming at me again. Tells me I am to stay in my car until directed otherwise and then tells me that he has the authority to draw his gun on me and shoot if I had come closer. So I told him that I will get out of my car anytime I want, especially when it concerns my son getting pulled over for nothing. And I told him I am happy to die by his hand if it means my son is safe. Nobody is going to tell me I can't do this or that when it comes to my family.

He let my son go with a warning but never acknowledged what I said or said I'm sorry. Not that I expected it.

This is what you are dealing with today, paranoid cops with itchy trigger fingers looking to shoot something. My suggestion is to stay away from them and do nothing to antagonize them. Because if you do anything outside the law this is what you can expect. And if you like to tempt fate or challenge the cops, prepare for a bad outcome for yourself.

Way to stand your ground.

I feel like if all policeman were required to wear body cameras with footage being stored via third party a lot of these problems would go away. Always been a problem, we're just seeing in now with fancy cells and cameras everywhere. The majority of cops are good people looking to protect and serve but there's an unacceptable amount of bad ones and depts. covering up mistakes too often.

I carry a gopro charged and ready to go when I drive cross country. The state of Illinois made me that way. Last year I got stopped and shaken down (drug running?) twice in 45 minutes...without that camera there would be dogs and my shit sprawled on the roadside. Teir tactics are criminal IMO.

Tin

The other side of it though... You're a cop, you pull someone over and a second car pulls over with you. Then a guy gets out of the car and walking towards you.. What are your thoughts? I completely agree we live in an essential police state with few rights anymore but in the situation you described, if I were a cop, I would be quite on edge.

One of my biggest issues is the drunk driving check points they have set up where they write more tickets for brake/head lights than anything else. I'm all for getting drunk drivers off the road, I have had several immediate family members get hit by drunk drivers, but those check points are just out of control.

Anyone see the stories on civil forfeiture laws? They love assuming you're running drugs when you have cash on you.

JimG.

Staff member
The other side of it though... You're a cop, you pull someone over and a second car pulls over with you. Then a guy gets out of the car and walking towards you.. What are your thoughts? I completely agree we live in an essential police state with few rights anymore but in the situation you described, if I were a cop, I would be quite on edge.

I should have added that he looked a little scared as well as being young. I understand what you are saying.

BUT...it's one of my kids. Not going to drive off and leave him. That's not happening. Ever.

jack97

just wondering where was the outrage when this happened......

deadheadskier

Staff member
I saw it and I was pissed. Were the cops indicted?

There was a police brutality case in Seabrook, NH recently. I was pissed about that too. http://www.wcsh6.com/story/news/loc...rs-fired-in-seabrook-brutality-case/13067021/

Kelly Thomas might be the worst of them all: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Kelly_Thomas
Cops weren't indicted for that either and because of it numerous Fullerton politicians were voted out of office. There were several protests in California following the murder of Kelly.

skiNEwhere

I have one of these in my car, although it's more for insurance purposes though
http://driveproof.com/shop/drive-proof-car-camera-touch-screen

Although I did hear a case in NY this year where a cop hit a parked car with a person in the passenger seat, and they arrested him and charged him with a hit and run. That guy found a camera that they overlooked and got the case completely thrown out, and I believe those cops got fired.