• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Kings of Spring

dlague

First who cares about King of spring in the first place?

I could care less!

Second, doesn't the trail count say a lot?

h'ya!

Which has the best value proposition?

I have to say Sugarloaf, with the exception of distance!

Sugarloaf currently 39 trails open closing May 4th $49
Jay Peak currently 29 trails open closing May 11th $49
Sugarbush currently 18 trails open closing May 4th $50 (includes golf)
Killington currently 10 trails open closing TBD $54

The other three are close enough from my starting location such that i probably would have to pick Jay Peak because I know there will be some glades in play!

So this King of Spring - is it really about who has one trial left over for the longest or is it the mountain that has the most open in May?

IMO as stated in another thread - Kudos to those still open in May!

abc

I thought the definition of KOS is the one closes the last?

As for "value", that's always an individual thing. What's the closest to YOU might be far for someone else. Same with trail count. Some people wants glade, others think only groomers. Still, there're those who will happily dance over the single bump run all day long...

I think I just answered your question as to "who care", which is no one except the marketing department of the resorts!

The rest of us, we either ski in one mountain, or another. And as some had pointed out, majority of people skiing this time of year are skiing either for free (passholder) or some other discount (deeply discounted packages). So the day ticket is as meaningful as the walk-up window price in mid-season in defining "value", which is very few pay that amount!

VTKilarney

I wonder how many hotel rooms Sugarbush would have sold if they allowed you to ski and golf over two adjacent days this weekend?

For "King of Spring", I generally think of who stayed open the longest. But, frankly, having the most diverse terrain open the longest is more important to me personally.

WWF-VT

King of Spring - who cares?

No one really...except the hardcore Killington base who demand that the mountain be open as long as possible.

WWF-VT

I wonder how many hotel rooms Sugarbush would have sold if they allowed you to ski and golf over two adjacent days this weekend?

Not enough to make that choice an option. I will be at Sugarbush this weekend and expect that 90% of the people on the mountain will be passholders.

skiur

Sugarloaf claims 39 trails open but you have to hike to to a good number of them as they are only running the superquad but have much of the trails off the skyline lift requiring a hike.

spiderpig

You can get 25% off at Killington with a season pass OR TICKET from another resort. I can't remember that second part being part of the deal in the past. So that price is going to be lower for almost everyone.

Domeskier

So this means you do care some what. I think you mean "I couldn't care less".

I could care less about people misusing common expressions on the internets, but then I probably wouldn't experience that smug sense of superiority that I enjoy so much when the mistake is pointed out to them, so I will try my best not to care less about that.

bobbutts

I am expected to do yard work on Friday, otherwise my next opportunity to go. Also looks like it may rain. I hate it when the season ends without an official last run, and I'm in serious danger of having that happen.

VTKilarney

So this means you do care some what. I think you mean "I couldn't care less".

It's an idiom. An idiom is what it is.

From the Chicago Tribune:
Harvard linguist Stephen Pinker contends that rather than being willfully ignorant, folks who opt for "could care less" are being ironic or sarcastic, according to Fogarty.

British etymologist Michael Quinion agrees.

"It is so clearly logical nonsense that to condemn it for being so misses the point," Quinion writes on his World Wide Words blog. "The intent is obviously sarcastic — the speaker is really saying, 'As if there was something in the world that I care less about.'

Quinion compares the saying to some popular Yiddish phrases.

"Perhaps the best known is 'I should be so lucky!' in which the real sense is often 'I have no hope of being so lucky,'" he contends. "There are other American expressions that have a similar sarcastic inversion of apparent sense, such as 'Tell me about it!,' which usually means 'Don't tell me about it, because I know all about it already.'"

See also: http://www.slate.com/blogs/lexicon_...irrational_or_ungrammatical_as_you_might.html

Savemeasammy

I COULD care less. It's just not very likely...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk