• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lack of capital improvements this year?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
It's looking like it'll be an awfully quiet off season this year around the northeast ski hills. What's going on this summer? Any new lifts going in? Can't think of any. No new terrain? The hills always seemed busy when I went this year. Were energy costs really as high as resorts claimed them to be? Is this why we're not seeing much of anything in the way of improvements? Heck, there's less improvements happening then after the horrible 2011-2012 season.

Hope this was a one time deal and we won't get a repeat next summer.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Personally, I think this is the new normal. It's a flat industry regarding participation. Not a lot of incentive to invest and I'd imagine most ski industry investors are probably a bit leery of upcoming major contraction in participation. Pretty soon, if not already, baby boomers are going to "retire" from the sport due to age. I don't believe the generations behind them have the same economic potential to drive rapid capital expansion at the resorts. Pains me to say it, but I think it's true.

Edd

I think DHS is correct. My guess is fewer ski areas will be around and more areas will close more weekdays, which would make me ski less.

Savemeasammy

I think DHS is right. The aging of the boomers will have a number of implications. Dropping out of the skiing scene is going to be one of them.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

Tin

Are you guys forgetting about the new high speed quad at Sundown and the new gondi at Berkshire East?

:popcorn:

Warp Daddy

DHS is spot on !

Flat or even declining demand coupled with population demographics AND the relatively flat salary curve for MANY , TOGETHER with the potential longer term impact of global warming for lower elevation venues make for a very sketchy ROI for the Investors in this industry .

Since this requires the use of discretionary spending by consumers the future may well be more high end UMC consumers while a decline in the MC participation due to OTHER more pressing demands on their marginal income

drjeff

Are you guys forgetting about the new high speed quad at Sundown and the new gondi at Berkshire East?

:popcorn:

Berkshire East is actually upgrading a fixed grip triple to a fixed grip quad though!

You did overlook the new bubble 12 packs that both Yawgoo and Blue Hills are installing ;-)

gmcunni

Personally, I think this is the new normal. It's a flat industry regarding participation. Not a lot of incentive to invest and I'd imagine most ski industry investors are probably a bit leery of upcoming major contraction in participation. Pretty soon, if not already, baby boomers are going to "retire" from the sport due to age. I don't believe the generations behind them have the same economic potential to drive rapid capital expansion at the resorts. Pains me to say it, but I think it's true.

agreed. neither of my kids has the same level of passion i have now or had for the sport at their age. my daughter actually asked last time we went why we keep going since it is so expensive.

deadheadskier

Staff member
agreed. neither of my kids has the same level of passion i have now or had for the sport at their age. my daughter actually asked last time we went why we keep going since it is so expensive.

It's weird how some catch the snow bug and some don't. My folks started skiing a year after I did when I fell in love with the sport participating in an after school program and begged them to join me on the snow. They grew to love it and skied 40+ days a year for a good 15 years. Looking back though it might have just been their love of doing something with me that I enjoyed so much. Once they retired in their late 50s, they moved to Florida and never looked back on the sport. My older brother joined the family a bit through out high school, but didn't always go with us and hasn't skied since despite living in Colorado for many years near ski areas and now about 30 minutes from Killington.

Puck it

Cannon announced the new peak to peak gondola from Cannon to Lafayette. And the expansion onto Lafayette trail pods with three HSQ's.

WoodCore

Stratton and Okemo are spending some $$. New Gondola cars/cable and a major renovation of the Carlos Otis Clinic at Stratton. The new development at Okemo with two lifts and multiple trails/snowmaking.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
[URL=http://s305.photobucket.com/user/from_the_nek/media/Pictures%20for%20stuff/From_Haystack_zps9f60f356.jpg.html]
From_I-93-Basin_zpsb13bd12e.jpg
[/URL]
From_ArtistBluff_zps500ee801.jpg

sull1102

That would be one hell of a ride!

Waterville Valley should be starting some trail cutting on Green Peak, that was supposed to begin last year and nothing happened so we shall see.

wa-loaf

Announcing the Wachusett Landfill Project. All of Bostons solid waste is going to get piled on top of Wachusett until it reaches 2k vert, then they will work on building out the ridge. Methane generated from the waste will power new lifts ...

drjeff

Announcing the Wachusett Landfill Project. All of Bostons solid waste is going to get piled on top of Wachusett until it reaches 2k vert, then they will work on building out the ridge. Methane generated from the waste will power new lifts ...

And when the prevailing winds out of the West or NW blow, Worcester, Fitchburg and Leominster will still smell as "pleasant" as always ;) :lol: