• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Latest moron on the slopes video.........sigh

makimono

The old guy totally had the chance to knock the boarder right backwards over the snow fence when he was standing there going "oh yeah?" while still buckled in but he blew it...then I thought for sure the old guy was going to get gut-punched with the end of the board once the boarder did get it off...but again nothing happened. Anti-climatic.

dlague

Well my opinion, the snowboarder was stuck in the trees and was trying to get on the trail. The skier skiing down the trail had to see him. It was a flat trail/run out and there was no one else around. If he can ski the run that lead to that point then the skier should be able to react and move on and that is all that should have become of this. The skier stalking him - well he was being an ass! I think the snowboarder, engaged in a verbal exchange which was a mistake but he moved on - the other ugly dude said his piece and should have moved on too! That was an example of skier hating on a snowboarder plain and simple!

VTKilarney

Well my opinion, the snowboarder was stuck in the trees and was trying to get on the trail. The skier skiing down the trail had to see him.
I agree that both are criticism worthy. But snowboarder definitely did not enter the trail properly. There was nobody coming behind the skier, yet he cut off the skier and crossed the entire width of the trail in the process. Good thing the skier guessed correctly and passed on the right. Had the skier guessed that the left side was better there would have been a very different ending.

thetrailboss

Staff member
As to the original vid, the snowboarder is in the wrong because he did not look upslope before starting/merging onto the trail.

Funky_Catskills

But it's also the uphill persons responsibility to avoid downhill people.. I've always hated this grey area.. And the people that use it to prove their points...

To me - it's no harm no foul... But I could care less what people ride..

VTKilarney

But it's also the uphill persons responsibility to avoid downhill people.. I've always hated this grey area.. And the people that use it to prove their points....
Skier's responsibility code #4:
"Whenever starting downhill or merging into a trail, look uphill and yield to others."

I truly believe that the skier had one of those "oh shit" moments where they thought that they might be leaving the scene in a sled being towed by ski patrol. Not that this excuses the skier's subsequent behavior.

Funky_Catskills

Skier's responsibility code #4:
"Whenever starting downhill or merging into a trail, look uphill and yield to others."

I truly believe that the skier had one of those "oh shit" moments where they thought that they might be leaving the scene in a sled being towed by ski patrol. Not that this excuses the skier's subsequent behavior.

Right and this too...
1 - Always stay in control, and be able to stop or avoid other people or objects.
2 - People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them.

I think it's designed not for laying blame but for those "oh shit" moments.. To help noobs understand that skiing and riding is fluid and stuff happens.. People that hide behind these "codes" are idiots in my book... Just give people room... Keep your eyes open. And let stuff go unless there's contact and someone gets hurt.. don't be a dick....

Lefty4514

You can't quote the responsibility code without acknowledging that #2 and #4 clearly make each party responsible. I love skiing fast but there are trails where you should and shouldn't do it. If this snowboarder cut the skier off and he went off the trail and into a tree he's going to wish he wasn't going too fast to not be able to avoid him, no matter who's fault it is. In this case the uphill skier was in enough control to avoid him and decided he need to go on a power trip. IMHO people really shouldn't be allowed to ski with headphones because hearing others can be the best way to avoid them

Funky_Catskills

You can't quote the responsibility code without acknowledging that #2 and #4 clearly make each party responsible. I love skiing fast but there are trails where you should and shouldn't do it. If this snowboarder cut the skier off and he went off the trail and into a tree he's going to wish he wasn't going too fast to not be able to avoid him, no matter who's fault it is. In this case the uphill skier was in enough control to avoid him and decided he need to go on a power trip. IMHO people really shouldn't be allowed to ski with headphones because hearing others can be the best way to avoid them

So does that mean my friend that is a killer bump skier and deaf isn't allowed to ride?
Or my friend that skis 100 days a year but lost hearing in one of his ears can't ride??

Audible signals are NOT to be trusted... too much other auditory input going on.. Plus helmets cover your ears as well..

The uphill skier has SOOOOO much room and he could see the rider well up the "trail" or runout as it looks..
I think the rider got in his line against the trees and he threw a hissy fit...

Lefty4514

No obviously not, but skiing safely (esp on crowded trails) requires your senses to be on point. So my point is why would you take away another key sense (if you are blessed to have it) that can help everyone be safe? If everyone is out there with headphones then unless you are constantly looking around you wouldn't know someone else was near you.

Funky_Catskills

No obviously not, but skiing safely (esp on crowded trails) requires your senses to be on point. So my point is why would you take away another key sense (if you are blessed to have it) that can help everyone be safe? If everyone is out there with headphones then unless you are constantly looking around you wouldn't know someone else was near you.

If uphill people follow the code why would you worry so much?

I wear headphones all the time... Only been in one accident.. Ski patrol saw it - wasn't my fault.
I'm super aware of my surroundings in and out of bounds..

I'm also dyslexic which means if you say "on your right" - there's a big chance I'll turn into you..

And guess what - I'm still going to be out there enjoying myself... Beastie Boys cranking.. Smiling all the way...
Could care less about what people think - I'm being safe and I've proven it by my actions.

dlague

Wait the snowboarder was not technically merging onto the trail, he was trying to get up - big difference. Getting up on a snowboard in sft snow is not as easy as it is with skis. The skier HAD to have seem the struggle!

thetrailboss

Staff member
But it's also the uphill persons responsibility to avoid downhill people.. I've always hated this grey area.. And the people that use it to prove their points...

To me - it's no harm no foul... But I could care less what people ride..

It is indeed a grey area. From the video though it appears that the snowboarder (or person merging onto the trail) did not look back until the skier said something. I can't tell if the skier is out of control or not, but he was going at a pretty good clip. The skier did avoid the collision.

As to the skier's antics after, he is an asshat.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Wait the snowboarder was not technically merging onto the trail, he was trying to get up - big difference. Getting up on a snowboard in sft snow is not as easy as it is with skis. The skier HAD to have seem the struggle!

He got up in the woods and then rode out to the trail.

Funky_Catskills

That too - dude was tangled up in trees just trying to get back on the runout...
Skier was on far side of the trail opposite of the rider - he totally saw him from a distance...