• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Latest moron on the slopes video.........sigh

Funky_Catskills

How did he know nobody was above him when he looked and saw a bend in the trail? He was sitting in a blind spot and exited that spot poorly.

1) He should have been looking up as he entered the trail
2) He should have went down the trail instead of across it

He looked up the trail and saw nobody at 00:13 of the video - this is a fact..
Once seeing that there was nobody above him he started to get up - in the process he had forward momentum across this narrow runout..
AND it happened in 3 seconds...

fcksummer

Website
fck-summer.tumblr.com
He looked up the trail and saw nobody at 00:13 of the video - this is a fact..
Once seeing that there was nobody above him he started to get up - in the process he had forward momentum across this narrow runout..
AND it happened in 3 seconds...

When entering a small side street from a blind spot, do you look down at the pedals for 3 seconds then cross the street horizontally as slow as possible without ever looking up?

thetrailboss

Staff member
People see what they want to fill in the blanks of their own imaginations to make a point...

Exactly. In this case, you are assuming that the snowboarder is completely in the clear because you are a snowboarder. I don't think that it is that simple. I think he should have looked up again before proceeding any further.

I watched it again. At :13/:14 it does look as if he looked up, but honestly we don't know how much time elapsed because he added a comment and paused the video. He also is facing upslope, but is bent over. When he proceeds to slide, he looks up in reaction to the skier saying, "hey". The skier does avoid the collision.

Another factor is it looks as if the accident took place in a turn and we do not see the skier until he is in that turn. Probably just an unfortunate spot to have fallen and one last look up might have made a difference. Then again the skier might have just been a hot head and, regardless, would have still been an asshole after since it does not look like the snowboarder slid that far before the skier reacted.

In the end of the day nobody was hurt. The skier avoided the collision as he should. Both made asses of themselves and lost their tickets. And we are all sitting at work or at home commenting about it here because we have nothing better to do.

Funky_Catskills

When entering a small side street from a blind spot, do you look down at the pedals for 3 seconds then cross the street horizontally as slow as possible without ever looking up?

Driving a car and getting up on a snowboard are two vastly different things...

Do you drive fast down twisty roads that you know other people will be driving at different speeds?

Funky_Catskills

Exactly. In this case, you are assuming that the snowboarder is completely in the clear because you are a snowboarder. I don't think that it is that simple. I think he should have looked up again before proceeding any further.

I watched it again. At :13/:14 it does look as if he looked up, but honestly we don't know how much time elapsed because he added a comment and paused the video. He also is facing upslope, but is bent over. When he proceeds to slide, he looks up in reaction to the skier saying, "hey". The skier does avoid the collision.

Another factor is it looks as if the accident took place in a turn and we do not see the skier until he is in that turn. Probably just an unfortunate spot to have fallen and one last look up might have made a difference. Then again the skier might have just been a hot head and, regardless, would have still been an asshole after since it does not look like the snowboarder slid that far before the skier reacted.

In the end of the day nobody was hurt. The skier avoided the collision as he should. Both made asses of themselves and lost their tickets. And we are all sitting at work or at home commenting about it here because we have nothing better to do.

I counted - 3 seconds..

And no - I'm just saying "he looked up"

fcksummer

Website
fck-summer.tumblr.com
Driving a car and getting up on a snowboard are two vastly different things...

Do you drive fast down twisty roads that you know other people will be driving at different speeds?

Yes, definitely two vastly different things, however there's something you can use when doing either activity, a concept that perhaps you're unfamiliar with...common sense.

Funky_Catskills

Yes, definitely two vastly different things, however there's something you can use when doing either activity, a concept that perhaps you're unfamiliar with...common sense.

I don't think that you need to get nasty with me..

I have a lot of common sense.
I'm a very experienced rider/skier/telemarker..
I'm AIARE Level 2 certified..
I've skied routes on 5 continents...

And have only been in one real ski accident..

thetrailboss

Staff member
I counted - 3 seconds..

And no - I'm just saying "he looked up"

But he edited the video to insert a comment. We have no idea if he cut out video or what the actual time was. It does look like it's a matter of seconds though. And as you said in the end no harm no foul.

Funky_Catskills

But he edited the video to insert a comment. We have no idea if he cut out video or what the actual time was. It does look like it's a matter of seconds though. And as you said in the end no harm no foul.

right - I stopped counting when he stuck the comment in...

Lefty4514

This thread is getting better than the confrontation in the video![/QUOT

Haha I agree. After reading everyone's opinion the fact becomes clear that no matter the code/video, etc, the snowboarder was wrong the minute he strapped the board to his feet and the guy was wrong the minute his face started taking shape...

VTKilarney

It's not at all clear to me if he was looking for traffic at the 0:14 mark. It looks to me like his head was bobbing as he was getting up, and that is all. The biggest safety risk to me is how the snowboarder crossed the entire width of the trail at the end of a curve in the trail. The skier was definitely a jerk, though.

thetrailboss

Staff member
right - I stopped counting when he stuck the comment in...

If it was 3 seconds or so then I'd think that the snowboarder acted reasonably. It is too bad that the skier was such an asshole. Certainly both now know to be a bit more careful from now on.

VTKilarney

It would be funny if we found a video posted by the skier about the douchebag snowboarder. :p