• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Least crowded resort in NH or VT

tmcc71

Hi, I live in central ma. I am a decent skiier but I prefer groomers and cruisers. I am limited due to the fact that my gf is a newer snowboarder (gasp). I was wondering if anyone could recommend a mountain with varied terrain with reasonable lines. I don't need bells and whistles as I pack my own lunch and don't drink often. I prefer day trips (dogs at home) so southern vt or Nh would be great. I have been researching resorts such as ragged, bromley,sunapee, gunstock, okemo, magic,stratton and snow. I was wondering which of these, if any, is reasonably uncrowded. Any info or opinions will be helpful. Thanks all. Tim

jerryg

Hi, I live in central ma. I am a decent skiier but I prefer groomers and cruisers. I am limited due to the fact that my gf is a newer snowboarder (gasp). I was wondering if anyone could recommend a mountain with varied terrain with reasonable lines. I don't need bells and whistles as I pack my own lunch and don't drink often. I prefer day trips (dogs at home) so southern vt or Nh would be great. I have been researching resorts such as ragged, bromley,sunapee, gunstock, okemo, magic,stratton and snow. I was wondering which of these, if any, is reasonably uncrowded. Any info or opinions will be helpful. Thanks all. Tim

Out of your list, I would say that Ragged, Bromley, and Magic would be least crowded, but note that Magic will operate on a limited schedule this season. Ragged may be perfect for you.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Out of the places you listed, Magic will hands down be the least crowded. And while I contest that Magic's groomers and cruisers are vastly underrated, you probably will not find enough variety in groomer terrain to satisfy if you are going for groomers and cruisers only.

I find Ragged handles crowds pretty well though an even better option for you might be just slightly further north at Tenney which is cruiser haven and has a pitch that someone new to the sport would find perfect. The double chairlift at Tenney is slow so perhaps avoid very cold days.

The other places you listed are a step up in crowds. I suspect you may want to remove Mount Snow and Sunapee from your short list for crowds.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Also, a lot depends upon where in Central MA you live. If you live closer to the I-495 metro belt, then the NH areas are doable. If you live closer to the I-91 locales, then your VT options should merit more consideration if time away from your dogs is a concern. When I think of Central MA, I think better to go 91 than 93 so Bromley would be the best option from your list. However, I think the recommendation of Ascutney is a very good addition to your list.

Ski Diva

Website
www.skidiva.com
The size of the crowd largely depends on when you go. If you ski non-holiday mid-week, you're not going to find massive crowds anywhere. I ski Okemo mid-week, and only rarely do I encounter a line or what anyone would call a crowd.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
The size of the crowd largely depends on when you go. If you ski non-holiday mid-week, you're not going to find massive crowds anywhere. I ski Okemo mid-week, and only rarely do I encounter a line or what anyone would call a crowd.
+1
What is your game plan? Weekends/weekdays?
BTW, those $3.50 rollback the price days are often the most crowded.

hammer

If you want to ski on weekends/holidays, then you will have crowds...in that case, you need to find places that handle crowds well. Crotched's a bit on the small side (and not on your initial list), but I think it handles busier days better than many other ski areas.

Gunstock may be OK if you don't need/want to do a lot of runs from the summit...I've been there mostly on less crowded days when the summit HSQ didn't have a line, but one time I went over the XMas holiday week and I found myself avoiding the HSQ because of the lines.

If you want to avoid crowds, then avoid Sunapee...in addition to the crowds, most of the trails from the summit aren't all that novice-friendly. If you don't mind handling some crowds, though, Sunapee is a great place for intermediate groomers and cruisers IMO.

Can't speak for the VT ski areas, I live too far east to make those a reasonable day trip with a family and a dog at home.

xfactor58

How about Pat's Peak in New Hampshire? I remember going a weekend in January and i think we rode Saturday and Sunday and i don't recall more then a 5 minute wait for a chair. The terrain was good, and cover was awesome (it had just snowed late that week). Lot's of beginner terrain but enough to keep a seasoned skier amused for the day.

Just my .02

4aprice

If it's a weekend and the snow is good, Dartmouth Skiway is a nice choice. On the weekdays you have to be careful as to what they are operating but when the entire mountain is open it can be a fun laid back place and not too harsh on the wallet.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

zinger3000

If you want to avoid crowds, then avoid Sunapee...in addition to the crowds, most of the trails from the summit aren't all that novice-friendly. If you don't mind handling some crowds, though, Sunapee is a great place for intermediate groomers and cruisers IMO.

Does Sunapee get crowded during the week? I'm thinking of going there some Friday in Jan or Feb.

jaywbigred

I second the Bromley recommendation. I've been there on holiday weekends, where, given the parking lot and lodge scenes, you thought you were in for a rough day, only to find that there was rarely more than a chair or two of people in front of you.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com

This is a good point. If you're looking for a non-holiday mid-week, just take your pick of any resort on the East coast. Even if there are a lot of people at a larger resort like Okemo, Loon, or Sunapee, they'll have the uphill capacity to more than deal with it, so you won't be waiting.

Now if you're considering going on a weekend, that's when things get tricky. My vote in NH is for Ragged or Gunstock. You'll get a much better value than Pat's Peak.

hammer

Now if you're considering going on a weekend, that's when things get tricky. My vote in NH is for Ragged or Gunstock. You'll get a much better value than Pat's Peak.
I'd agree...in a good snow year. If the WX is uncooperative, though, then you won't get as much of an advantage because Pats Peak can blow snow on just about the whole hill...and Pats Peak is closer.

Highway Star

Stratton is great too, fast 6-pak lifts, plenty of wide open groomers, and good tree skiing when you get some time to yourself.

I would suggest getting a CT ski club membership for $25, www.aeskiclub.com. Its too late to buy vouchers this year but you can take advantage of the ski council awareness days. They will get you on the hill for $30-$40, on a weekend, at many of the of the resorts already discussed, including the ones that would normally have a $70+ ticket. Check it out:

http://www.skiclub.com/documents/CSC-Awdays0910.pdf

SKIQUATTRO

Bromley for sure, never had a crowd there...all comes back to 1 base area...has all you are looking for

arik

you didn't ask about areas in Massachussets but you might consider Berkshire east, it is uncrowded, has good snowmaking and grooming, isn't expensive, and has a nice variety of terrain

tmcc71

great replies!

Thank you all so much for the great responses. I think I might try Bromley and Ragged and a few others based on recommendations. I have been skiing Wachusett regularly for many years. I like it for night skiing, early and late season. Any other time it is near impossible to ski on. The crowds it generates Mid season weekends is maddening and dangerous. I don't mind a bit of a wait but 30 minutes in line every run is common there. No more clicking and messing around with bindings before and after EVERY run. If you've skiied with a boarder you know what i'm talking about. You lose several runs a day to clicking. These bindings coupled with the fact that she greatly improved last season will open up our options.
We live in Worcester. Both 93 and 91 will work. Since we have two dogs shorter day trips like snow (2 hours) work best. I think ragged is about two hours as well. I'm not sure about Bromley but i'll check google maps after I send this. Thanks again people, keep the replies coming. Tim

deadheadskier

Staff member
One recommendation I'd have is to check out www.liftopia.com for lift ticket deals. They haven't loaded up their inventory for this season there yet, but you typically can save some pretty good coin at many areas, especially Sundays and midweek.