• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Least crowded resort in NH or VT

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Berkshire East is actually another great recommendation for the original poster's needs.

Though, in reference to DHS's post, I would not drive three hours to BEast and would not choose it over a mountain like MRG. It is a good mountain for its geographical location but I would rank it lower than Ragged Mountain but better than Tenney for a general comparison.

+1

Edd

I imagine he would take I95 to I495 to Route 2. Or perhaps Route 101 to I-91.

From Portsmouth? 495 doesn't enter the equation when going to Killington or MRV. I can't imagine a faster route than 101 to 93 to 89.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
From Portsmouth? 495 doesn't enter the equation when going to Killington or MRV. I can't imagine a faster route than 101 to 93 to 89.

That's what I was thinking. 495 is too far south, It takes 2 hours from my house on Rte 2 to Greenfield, MA, no matter what you do, then an hour+ to MRV. It's nearly an hour from Portsmouth to my house. You're looking at least 4 hours with that route.

Even on the worst of weather days 101 is a better choice.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Berkshire East not Killington

yes

and the route would be 495 to route 2 for sure. I can make it to Greenfield in about 2 hours without traffic. I go there every summer for a music festival.

101 West of Manchester is very slow going. It's unfortunate because that essentially takes all of the Southern half of VT off my radar unless I was going for a weekend.

tmcc71

B east

I think B east will be on my radar this season as well. I whitewater kayak in Charlemont in the Deerfield river. Its less than 2 hours from my house. 200 mile round trip. Thenew 2010 vw jetta sportwagon diesel will come in handy. almost 50 mpg highway. I think it's going to be a good season (as long as it drops below 50). I'm bummed Okemo delayed their opening. I need to ski soon. Maybe Killington but its a little far for a day trip from Worcester Ma.

Razor

Dogs

Re. the dogs. Have you ever considered bringing them? We bring our golden retriever all over New England. When we arrive at the lot, he gets out and runs around and does his business. Then he sleeps in the car until we have lunch, when we let him out again. Then he goes back in and stays until we're leaving. At that time he gets out, eats, goes for a long walk or run, and he's ready for the trip home or to our overnight stop. He may actually get as much exercise as on a normal day home. It might cost you a couple of runs to take care of them, but if they can handle it, it really opens up more options.

tmcc71

dogs

I have considered it. I wonder how well the 10 year old pointer would take the cold. The 3 year old German Sheppard no problem.

deadheadskier

Staff member

I always go route 4 to 93 to 89 actually, mainly because 101 bores the heck out of me.

Edd

I always go route 4 to 93 to 89 actually, mainly because 101 bores the heck out of me.

I prefer that too but it can be slow, particularly during commute times so I go 101 just in case, but that's always from work in Portsmouth.

This weekend coming from Concord I did take 152 which veered directly off of Route 4 and goes right in front of my place. I've never gone Concord to Newmarket before. That was pretty slick.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I prefer that too but it can be slow, particularly during commute times so I go 101 just in case, but that's always from work in Portsmouth.

This weekend coming from Concord I did take 152 which veered directly off of Route 4 and goes right in front of my place. I've never gone Concord to Newmarket before. That was pretty slick.

yep

that's the way my wife takes everyday to get to work in Rochester.

hrstrat57

okay BEast (still beast to me)

I think B east will be on my radar this season as well. I whitewater kayak in Charlemont in the Deerfield river. Its less than 2 hours from my house. 200 mile round trip. Thenew 2010 vw jetta sportwagon diesel will come in handy. almost 50 mpg highway. I think it's going to be a good season (as long as it drops below 50). I'm bummed Okemo delayed their opening. I need to ski soon. Maybe Killington but its a little far for a day trip from Worcester Ma.

Just do me a favor and wait for 100% open and preferably some fresh snow.

Enjoy - it is a sweet hill with some real old school vibe. Surprisingly challenging in spots and some great NE cruisers....including some decently steep cruisers.

Slow lifts but nobody in line makes up for it.

tmcc71

B east

I'll keep that in mind. I'll hold off until Late December or so. I'll start off the seaso where the major fan guns reside.