• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lift line cable railings

legalskier

Hunter's summit lodge has had a cable railing ever since I can remember.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I wonder if they coat or otherwise seal the cables in some way.

The first thing I actually thought of when I saw this was that ridiculous movie where those kids get stuck on the ski lift and they try to traverse the cable but it's so sharp it cuts their hands. I can't imagine that is really the case, it's just a wound cable, why would it cut you.

Glenn

That's a cool idea. We have a quad chair from Mt Snow in our backyard in VT. I've thought about running a cable from the peak of the roof...to the chair...kind of a liftline look. A real cable would be a bit too much. I'm thinking more along the lines of a dog run line.

bvibert

Staff member

The first thing I actually thought of when I saw this was that ridiculous movie where those kids get stuck on the ski lift and they try to traverse the cable but it's so sharp it cuts their hands. I can't imagine that is really the case, it's just a wound cable, why would it cut you.

That movie is like the most ridiculous piece of crap ever made, and not just for that one point. The haul rope is not sharp and it won't cut you.

jerryg

First, yes, the haul rope sections have a coating of sealant on them.

Second, the sheer number lift inaccuracies in the movie Frozen could probably be made into a game. But it is a ski-related movie, so it's good! LOL!

Third, since when did a haul rope become a lift cable?

jerryg

It's actually a true story that took place at a remote ski hill in CT! :grin:

The most ridiculous ski-related movie ever made would likely be Ice Spiders, but due to the locale, Icebreaker may be the worst! :wink:

That movie is like the most ridiculous piece of crap ever made, and not just for that one point. The haul rope is not sharp and it won't cut you.

bvibert

Staff member
It's actually a true story that took place at a remote ski hill in CT! :grin:

The most ridiculous ski-related movie ever made would likely be Ice Spiders, but due to the locale, Icebreaker may be the worst! :wink:

Actually I think it took place in one of the open bowls in MA... ;)

jerryg

^ Wasn't that movie set in Wachusett?

Was filmed in either Wastern MA or NY along with some scenes filmed in Utah. You'll notice that in some shots, the terrain is above the treeline and others it isn't. The lift itself is an old Hall Triple, but when they show from a distance, the bottom terminal is for an HSQ. Too funny.

Once you get over the wolves and the slicing haul rope, it's really not that bad. It's entertaining.

KD7000

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com

Telemechanic

Was filmed in either Wastern MA or NY along with some scenes filmed in Utah. You'll notice that in some shots, the terrain is above the treeline and others it isn't. The lift itself is an old Hall Triple, but when they show from a distance, the bottom terminal is for an HSQ. Too funny.

The movie was filmed in Utah at Snowbasin. The director is from Massachusetts and during the media coverage before Frozen was released he mentioned skiing at Wachusett while growing up. The lift used in the film is the Wildcat Triple a Thiokol which is the company CTEC spun away from in the late 70s:

http://www.skilifts.org/old/images/resort_images/ut-snowbasin/wildcat/wildcat.htm

Snowbasin has enclosed many of its lift, fixed grips and detachables, in the same kind of mid-90s style Doppelmayr terminal. It a uniformity thing.

ceo

Cannon has a stretch of track rope from the original tram as a railing in the summit lodge. It's been there since before the original tram came down, so I think it's a leftover piece that was put there after it was built.

darent

I worked around spun wire cable in the military. you can really cut your hand or get jabbed by a wire splinter. we always wore gloves and sometimes that didn't help!

ripzillia

I worked around spun wire cable in the military. you can really cut your hand or get jabbed by a wire splinter. we always wore gloves and sometimes that didn't help!

That's right,goes right through leather gloves.Gets easily infected too. But as a rule haul lies are not sharp.