• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Long Range Forecast

4aprice

About time I usually find hall of fame picks a bit nutty.

I think I was more surprised that they weren't all ready in then I am that they made it. Talk about longevity.

BG: Wild things on the models and like you I hope they pan out. Having a great time following Typhoon Tip on Americanwx and Big Joe Bastardi. BTW you should change your name to Benedict Parise. (Oh yeah forgot the NHL is irrelevent now).

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

ScottySkis

I think I was more surprised that they weren't all ready in then I am that they made it. Talk about longevity.

BG: Wild things on the models and like you I hope they pan out. Having a great time following Typhoon Tip on Americanwx and Big Joe Bastardi. BTW you should change your name to Benedict Parise. (Oh yeah forgot the NHL is irrelevent now).

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
I agree that why I'm only thinking about the 1994 Stanley cup champions as my picture on here.:)

BenedictGomez

I'd say it's a near certaintly some storm passes through somewhere during that time given the agreement with both models, just a question of whether it will be cold enough. Even places like the Poconos could pick up a foot if it pans out, but that's a big if. It looks pretty good for n.VT, n.NH, and ME to score though. I dont know about Typhoon Tip, might have to add him to the rotation of Met-wonks I follow.

No way, Parise was nowhere near as bad as Gomez. Totally different scenarios. Gomez will always be loathed (and possibly by every franchise's fanbase he's played with ironically).

BenedictGomez

They will be, but if the snow comes like some models say. It will be a skin to the summit.

I leave for Florida this year early on the 21st, which absolutely GUARANTEES the European ensemble verifies, and there will be a massive snowstorm on the 20th.

BenedictGomez

Scotty will love this.

This is a few days after the potential 2-footer storm next week. If the stars align, this could be one helluva snow week.

Worst-case scenario, there's finally going to be tons of cold air for every ski resort in the east to work with.

192ia.jpg

BenedictGomez

Pulled the trigger on an MLK 4-day vacation of Gore/Whiteface based on the long-range prognosis. After the coming warm-up (which I think is getting WAY to much "air-play" for regions other than the Poconos), substantial cold might pour into the entire Northeast with a -NAO and pv with a potential setup that would be very favorable to snow even though it's too far out to see.

Sure, the long-range guess work is probably going to be wrong, but any excuse to visit Lake Placid is a good excuse in my book. Would love to listen to the thoughts on this by our 2 or 3 resident weather-wonks (who have sadly been very silent this winter :(). I miss them! Whether right or wrong, weather speculation is fun!

ScottySkis

Pulled the trigger on an MLK 4-day vacation of Gore/Whiteface based on the long-range prognosis. After the coming warm-up (which I think is getting WAY to much "air-play" for regions other than the Poconos), substantial cold might pour into the entire Northeast with a -NAO and pv with a potential setup that would be very favorable to snow even though it's too far out to see.

Sure, the long-range guess work is probably going to be wrong, but any excuse to visit Lake Placid is a good excuse in my book. Would love to listen to the thoughts on this by our 2 or 3 resident weather-wonks (who have sadly been very silent this winter :(). I miss them! Whether right or wrong, weather speculation is fun!

This new weather forecast site upstatesnow.com on FB really sees potential for really big snow storms coming with the big freeze hope there correct and Whiteface might seem like Alta when your their.:)

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

WinnChill

Oh sure, tell us we're always wrong and of course we'd love to accomodate you! Sure know how to sweeten the pot. ;) I help out because you actually do express genuine weather interest...just a real funny way of showing it. Of course, if we were always wrong, you wouldn't waste your time here, right? Ok, gotta give you some jazz about that.

Anyways, mid to late January does seem to turn colder, but not based entirely on the NAO--remember, the NAO was positive during the last two significant snowfalls. The trough/ridge interaction out west has more effect, or more specifically the PNA pattern, which was transitioning to a more favorable (positive) configuration at the time. The west US trough should carve further eastward later this month and some other model data is supporting that. I would imagine you'd still have variable/icy conditions immediately following a warm-up before getting more fresh snow to mix in...perhaps a transitional mixed/snow event or two through that week/weekend. Later in the month we could think about more snowy storms.

BenedictGomez

Oh sure, tell us we're always wrong and of course we'd love to accomodate you! Sure know how to sweeten the pot. ;) I help out because you actually do express genuine weather interest...just a real funny way of showing it. Of course, if we were always wrong, you wouldn't waste your time here, right? Ok, gotta give you some jazz about that.

Of course it's not "always wrong", and I do have a genuine interest in learning, but I'm simultaneously well-cognizant of the current limitations of weather prediction beyond a handful of days, (especially with precipitation) which is all that I was referring to. It wasn't in any way an insult, just an acknowledgement that this is a science that is essentially in its' historical infancy. It's so fledgling that I'm not even sure how to characterize it. I'm not suggesting it's as primitive as Wright brothers infancy or even Sopwith Camel infancy, but I don't think I'd put the field past Charles Lindbergh infancy in terms of the evolution of how great it will likely become as compared to what man currently knows and understands.

ScottySkis

Of course it's not "always wrong", and I do have a genuine interest in learning, but I'm simultaneously well-cognizant of the current limitations of weather prediction beyond a handful of days, (especially with precipitation) which is all that I was referring to. It wasn't in any way an insult, just an acknowledgement that this is a science that is essentially in its' historical infancy. It's so fledgling that I'm not even sure how to characterize it. I'm not suggesting it's as primitive as Wright brothers infancy or even Sopwith Camel infancy, but I don't think I'd put the field past Charles Lindbergh infancy in terms of the evolution of how great it will likely become as compared to what man currently knows and understands.

I think Mr Winnchill has been correct over 90% of the time and our north east is so hard to predict, I thank him because he told me the weather for my ski trips and it did what he said it would at the exact time.;-)

nvuono

I'm also setup for 3-days at Whiteface that weekend for my birthday. This will be my first time there so do you know of any superstitions or incantations that might work to bring snow?