• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Looking for a Lake Placid like town other then Lake Placid in the North East

VTKilarney

I think people don't think to cross the bridge when they visit downtown Stowe. The Vermont Ale House, Rimrocks & Backyard Tavern (affectionately known locally as the Barmuda Triangle) are all 5 minutes walk from the Green Mountain Inn. You also have Pickwicks Pub, O'Grady's and the newly opened The Bench (formerly Pie in the Sky) that are right there as well. Village proper has Harrisons, The Whip, Blue Moon.

And yes, the Mexican restaurant Fridas has closed. It's been replaced by a new restaurant - Mi Casa.
Yeah, we are definitely far apart on this one. I think one reason is that, while you can walk to the places you mentioned, it's not like just strolling down the street in North Conway. While North Conway has lots of restaurants beyond walking distance, there are still more than you think downtown. Having the Flatbread Company right downtown is really nice.

For me it boils down to this. Stowe is a ski area with a village. North Conway is a village with some ski areas. You can't lose with either, but for "village" living, North Conway is the clear winner IMHO.

But there is one big catch. North Conway does't have lodging right in the village that rivals the Green Mountain Inn.

yeggous

Yeah, we are definitely far apart on this one. I think one reason is that, while you can walk to the places you mentioned, it's not like just strolling down the street in North Conway. While North Conway has lots of restaurants beyond walking distance, there are still more than you think downtown. Having the Flatbread Company right downtown is really nice.

For me it boils down to this. Stowe is a ski area with a village. North Conway is a village with some ski areas. You can't lose with either, but for "village" living, North Conway is the clear winner IMHO.

But there is one big catch. North Conway does't have lodging right in the village that rivals the Green Mountain Inn.

Lodging is downtown North Conway is a bit limited. There's maybe half a dozen inns within walking distance. There are many, many more within a 10 minute drive. There is way more lodging in that area than near Stowe. There are also a lot more places to ski.

deadheadskier

Staff member

My perspective is probably different than yours. Not only did I live in town for the better part of ten years, I lived right in the village of Stowe for a year. All of those places I listed were a "stroll" down the street for me. Anyone who lives in town considers Baggy Knees plaza and surrounding restaurants to be an extension of the main village area. It's a five minute walk over a scenic covered Pedestrian bridge. There are businesses along the way as well.

Being a NH resident, I now visit North Conway frequently. Their pedestrian area does not feel as expansive as Stowe does to me.

SteveT

Looks we are doing Stowe and staying at the Green Mountain Inn. Maybe spend a day in Burlington. Thanks everyone!!

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

AdironRider

My perspective is probably different than yours. Not only did I live in town for the better part of ten years, I lived right in the village of Stowe for a year. All of those places I listed were a "stroll" down the street for me. Anyone who lives in town considers Baggy Knees plaza and surrounding restaurants to be an extension of the main village area. It's a five minute walk over a scenic covered Pedestrian bridge. There are businesses along the way as well.

Being a NH resident, I now visit North Conway frequently. Their pedestrian area does not feel as expansive as Stowe does to me.

I would argue you are a bit biased considering you spent a large percentage of your life there, and only visit NC occasionally.

You said it yourself, lots of folks miss a lot of Stowe's downtown, how you think its comparable after that admission is beyond me.

Thats not to say Stowe sucks, I still think its the best ski area in the East, but its not Lake Placid or North Conway.

deadheadskier

Staff member
And why per tell is your opinion of North Conway vs Stowe more informed than mine? How much time have you spent in either place over the last ten years? Most of it you have lived out west.

Call it bias if you want. I'm up in North Conway far more these days than I am in Stowe. I know what it has to offer.

VTKilarney

And why per tell is your opinion of North Conway vs Stowe more informed than mine? How much time have you spent in either place over the last ten years? Most of it you have lived out west.

Call it bias if you want. I'm up in North Conway far more these days than I am in Stowe. I know what it has to offer.
I think it's fair to point out that when you live somewhere you experience it differently than someone who is just visiting for a couple of days.

ScottySkis

Sugarloaf walking and condos bus comes to get you not a village but cool init self big mountain to their.

4aprice

The options aren't great.
- I'm getting pretty done with the Brewery. It seems to fit the bill, but the service is reliably terrible and the beers & food are sub par.
- Common Man, as you said opens late. And as soon as it opens it is packed. If you happen to score a couch or bar seat there aren't too many places better. But if you end up standing, there aren't many places worse.

- Gypsy has great food and a small selection of good beers on tap. Hostess/owner is absolutely whacked and turns a lot of people off. Once you get to know her everything changes. She's like an abused dog that way.
- CJ's (Lincoln) and Truants (Woodstock) are the more local's places. Nothing special at either place. But reliable service, cheap, without crowds.
- El Charro (newish Mexican place) has good food and decent bar. But the atmosphere is more geared towards dinner. I'd feel weird sitting there right of the slopes.
- Black Mountain Burger. Good atmosphere for getting a beer at the end of the day. But nothing on tap! Decent selection of bottled beer.
- Gordi's claims to be great Apres. I've never been in there.

As I said, the options aren't great.

Know this is a pretty old bump but I had lunch here yesterday and thought it was pretty good. They have a small bar and some people were there watching football and there was a small lunch crowd. Table set up's were pretty fancy which may give the impression of it being more of a dinner place but the food and prices were good.

I think I've been to Gordi's apres and it was ok.

One great thing about Lincoln is they have a Dunkin Donuts. (love their coffee)

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ