• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

looking for advice, maybe getting back to skiing after 15 year break

302pony

Hey all, looking for advice, maybe getting back to skiing after 15 year break, I skied for about 20 years in the Northeast and a couple trips out west , but that was about 15 years ago, My youngest son (13) now wants to ski , so I'm looking for advice , I'm so out of the new technology below are some questions maybe someone could help with??

1- whats "in" now? I remember Parabolic Shape skis were coming out when I left skiing
2- could you recommend a used ski to look out for on Craigslist / ebay ? I don't want to spend allot till I know I will stick with it ($100-200)
3- Is it better to just rent? what do I watch out for in rental skis?
4- would you buy your own boots and then rent skis?
5- What would you recommend for my 13yr old son ? never skied before, 5'8" athletic

Any tips would be much appreciated !!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

BenedictGomez

You should probably just go to a reputable ski store that also handles rentals, and go from there. Skiing equipment is very expensive, and I wouldnt buy unless you're 100% committed that you're getting back into skiing.

Perhaps rent the rest of this season, and if you decide you're back for good, take advantage of the September/October 2013 sales when most everything is marked down.

For your 13 year old son, take advantage of many mountains "first time on skis" packages that typically include a beginner lift ticket, daily rentals, and a 1.5 hour lesson at a very affordable rate. That should be sufficient for him for the first 2 or 3 times on skis. And above all else, BEGINNER LESSONS ARE KEY.

Smellytele

You should probably just go to a reputable ski store that also handles rentals, and go from there. Skiing equipment is very expensive, and I wouldnt buy unless you're 100% committed that you're getting back into skiing.

Perhaps rent the rest of this season, and if you decide you're back for good, take advantage of the September/October 2013 sales when most everything is marked down.

For your 13 year old son, take advantage of many mountains "first time on skis" packages that typically include a beginner lift ticket, daily rentals, and a 1.5 hour lesson at a very affordable rate. That should be sufficient for him for the first 2 or 3 times on skis. And above all else, BEGINNER LESSONS ARE KEY.

January is also learn to ski month with a lot of learn to ski deals. Not sure where you are from so I can't tell ya what the best place(s) might be to ski at.

AdironRider

Here is where I think a lesson would be beneficial for what its worth.

After that, for your 13 year old, I wouldnt even buy used. Go season long rentals (1-200 bucks in my neck of the woods) as he is probably still growing.

For you, I would pick up a set of used Volkl Mantras. Mid 170's should be good. This is an intermediate semi fat ski that can be found anywhere on the cheap.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Yeah, January is "learn to ski and ride month", designed to promote skiing and snowboarding. Lots of mountains offer incredible deals this month.

302pony

Thanks for the great responses! , I'm in Orange County NY, Never been to Mount Peter but thinking of taking my son there to take lessons.

WWF-VT

For you, I would pick up a set of used Volkl Mantras. Mid 170's should be good. This is an intermediate semi fat ski that can be found anywhere on the cheap.

I hope you aren't serious. OP hasn't skied in 15 years and you're recommending an unforgiving, stiff expert ski.

AdironRider

Those are the current form of shaped skis.

Theyve progressed to wider widths and less extreme parabolic shape.

ScottySkis

Thanks for the great responses! , I'm in Orange County NY, Never been to Mount Peter but thinking of taking my son there to take lessons.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
It not much of a hill, but first time probably be great. I live in orange county and love Potterbrothers ski shops they have several in the Hudson valley.

AdironRider

I hope you aren't serious. OP hasn't skied in 15 years and you're recommending an unforgiving, stiff expert ski.

Since when is a Mantra an unforgiving stiff expert ski? Also, Im talking used here, so even if they are as stiff as you say they are (which they arent), theyve probably softened up by the time hes on them.

Unless theyve changed recently, the Mantra (at least back in the mid to late aughts) was a milder form of the Gotama, etc.

wtcobb

Try demoing some skis and see what you like. Most shops will offer a demo for about $25-35, similar to what you'd pay for rentals but with a better quality product. Then you can try out a couple styles and see what you really like before buying. Some shops will roll in your demo costs into a purchase, too.

holmes

After nearly 30 years off I rented. The second year I did a season rental.

Don't buy anything unless you're back in the sport.

Last year I went for a purchase. Bought good boots NEW locally and used boards on the inter webs. End of this year I may buy some new skis.

Equipments is different from this year to maybe 10 years ago. From the time I learned it's like night and day.

Boots forst IMO. Depending on your ability and what/where you like to ski, then you think about the stix.

Good luck, and welcome back. Your back.

gmcunni

seasonal rental, don't buy, for both of you.

take lessons, have fun.

rent again next year, even if you are getting better. find a shop that cares about their customers, they'll set you up with appropriate equipment. if you are getting better tell them you want better skis for the seasonal rental. it may cost you a few $$ more but it will help you progress once you've gotten back into the swing of things.

if the shop doesn't offer better skis find a new shop.

ERJ-145CA

Mt. Peter was the first place that popped into my head when you said Orange County. Nice friendly place with free beginner lessons on weekends and holidays.

goldsbar

Agree not to buy. Rent for the season. You don't even know what type of skiing you'll like if you like it at all. Do you want to carve groomers all day or maybe you'll be posting in a couple of months about which areas have the best trees. Totally different skis.

302pony

Good luck, and welcome back. Your back.

Funny last time I heard that I was back to motocross racing (vintage class) at 39 years old in 2004

Thanks again everyone for the great advice , my son and I are going to Mt Peter this weekend will rent on site and take lessons, if all goes well we will head to Potter Brothers and do seasonal rental.

Thanks!!!!!

Scruffy

Since when is a Mantra an unforgiving stiff expert ski? Also, Im talking used here, so even if they are as stiff as you say they are (which they arent), theyve probably softened up by the time hes on them.

Unless theyve changed recently, the Mantra (at least back in the mid to late aughts) was a milder form of the Gotama, etc.

No way, not even close. Mantra has always been an expert ski, and it's not a tamed down Gotama; GOTs are different ski, for a different purpose altogether. Geez, where the hell did you get that idea from?

Volkls web site for Mantra:

Ability
Advanced, Expert

Conditions
40% Groomed - 60% Powder

Core
"Sensor Woodcore"

Construction
Power Construction