• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Loon 12/18

xlr8r

Killington, Sunday River, you both have been dethroned as the snowmaking kings of New England. Loon now has the best snowmaking system in the east.

They claimed having 19 trails open, which actually for once felt like a relatively accurate count for early season trail counting. Walking Boss and Sunset were open off of North Peak. Bear Claw, Picked Rock, Flying Fox and Haulback were open off of Loon Peak. At the base, Bear Claw, 7 Brothers, were open at Octagon; Rampasture, Snubber were open at Governor's, and Picked Rock was open going to both. They were making snow on most existing open trails for resurfacing. They also had snowmaking going on Brookway, Flume, Upper Rumrunner, and Coolidge Street which should all be open in a day or two. They should be able to get South Peak open by next week.

The best runs were Rampasture which had guns on it all day, and Upper Walking boss which was avoided by most people until you got to the the Haulback intersection. Most runs had edge to edge cover, where there was usually great loose snow on the edges. Bear Claw, and Lower Walking Boss got skied off the most, and both became pretty scratchy by mid day.

Day 2 on my new boots as well. Got the left foot dialed in very nicely but had trouble matching it with the right foot. So most of the morning was spent adjusting my right boot buckles after each run until I became pretty satisfied in the afternoon.

So if you want to ski more than a WROD, head to Loon before the crowds show up next week. They have multiple runs and lifts open when almost everyplace else has 1 or 2 runs open off of a single lift. This is pretty amazing considering their low elevation.

Last edited:

WJenness

"The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated."
-Mark Twain

Loon: 20 Trails 125.5 Acres 9.6 Miles 6 Lifts
SR: 25 Trails 125 Acres 9 Miles 6 Lifts
Killington: 33 Trails 133 Acres 13 Miles 7 Lifts

No doubt Loon's roll out has been impressive! (As a Boyne passholder I really appreciate it!) Their firepower has been increased quite a bit over the past two years...

But I think Killington still has the edge...

SR will be bringing more terrain on pretty shortly as well. But yes, Loon belongs in the discussion of impressive snowmaking systems in the East.

-w

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I'm not a big fan of the Loon and that's mostly to do with the afore mentioned crowds. I like it there mid-week best.

How was the parking situation? Do the have that temporary bridge working for the main entrance?

xlr8r

Killington has a 1000ft advantage over Loon. Killington still only has 1 way down from the top open, Great Northern, to get beyond North Ridge and onto Snowdon. Loon seems to have more individual, separate long runs open.

Temp bridge is open, not enough people for parking to be an issue today; parked in main lot at 10:00. Not crowded at all today, only the gondola had a line, everything else was ski on.

Last edited:

WJenness

I think Loon gets an undeserved bad rap in terms of the crowds... The only times I've skied there and had it been 'busy' are MLK weekend... and almost EVERYWHERE is busy that weekend... Other than that, I find it totally manageable. You won't be alone on most trails, but I have yet to experience the skier density being awful or long waits at the lifts.

-w

mlkrgr

I think Loon gets an undeserved bad rap in terms of the crowds... The only times I've skied there and had it been 'busy' are MLK weekend... and almost EVERYWHERE is busy that weekend... Other than that, I find it totally manageable. You won't be alone on most trails, but I have yet to experience the skier density being awful or long waits at the lifts.

-w

Well, I was there New Years Day '11 and it was still crowded w/ the Gondola 10 minutes ish wait and the Kanc Quad being a bit under that. Thought it would be pretty quiet all and all. I also went in March 2010 on a Sunday and that was mobbed. There was no way to avoid waiting 10 minutes for the lift other than if you wanted to take the East Basin Double. But taking the Kanc Quad is unavoidable to get your day going if you take the bus to the resort (which is about the only way to get a good price on Loon tix anyway for those who don't want/can't commit to a Boyne season pass). At least you can make the most of your day by staying on North Peak/South Peak otherwise.

I couldn't imagine how mobbed Loon would be on a normal Saturday; especially on a holiday.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
You've been very fortunate. I've had a few weekend days at Loon when things were not terrible. But those days were usually late season following a rain/freeze type event. I've experienced the longest lines I've ever waited through at Loon (with exception of the Single at MRG which is worth the wait and you get uncrowded trails for it).