• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Loon Intel

skiMEbike

After many years of being a Boyne pass holder, we have decided to take advantage of our season passes to "experience" Loon. I've only been once to Loon (many years ago) & it was barely open, so looking for some intel on how to best experience the mountain, trails/glades to hit, places to avoid. I am well aware of the "negatives" associated with Loon ("crowded", "intermediate Mtn", etc...), but looking to form my own opinion. My family along with another family will be there Friday - Sunday, and the skill level is all over the board with some beginner adults & kids, to intermediates to advanced. I expect my typical day of skiing will be somehting like ski with the kids on beginner trails/easy intermediates in the morning followed by lunch, and then maybe get a few hours of alone time late day to explore the more advanced stuff.

I have some specific questions, but appreciate any and all advice/tips on anything from where to ski/what to avoid/where to eat: Any recommendations on where to ski for beginner/easy intermediates (especially on Sat & Sunday morning)?
Recommendation for quick/easy lunch spot? It seems like South Peak could be an area to "escape" the crowds with some decent expert trails or am I wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Edd

My advice is to ski there Friday and somewhere else on Sat and Sun, but that's probably not helpful.

The Gondola line is my nightmare. Unfortunately, it serves some fun cruisers in the middle of the ski area.

The North Peak lift serves some steeper terrain, and is usually ski on during the week. Good amount of vert and bumps to be had but there's really only two routes down (three if you take Sunset and wind back around). People say they lap North Peak all day but that sounds really boring to me.

South Peak has a good mix but, FYI, the two blue cruisers are really mild and the blacks are genuinely steep. The tent over there serving as a base lodge has a surprising amount of food, drink, ect.

The Kancamagus chair is pretty good for intermediates to lap. Shorter vert but not super short and a few of the trails are pretty fun.

The Octagon bar in the main lodge has a lot of beer taps. At one point it was easily the most in the east. Some other areas have stepped it up in recent years.

Have a good time and bring all of the patience you can muster.

Last edited:

Smellytele

I would try to avoid the gondola base area and start at the governor adam's lodge. Ski off the Kanc if you want to ski blues with the kids. You can ski over to North/Camp III from there as well. Ski that area and from the top you can ski over to the tote road quad to get to South. The Gondola area can be a shit show

MikeTrainor

I disagree on the Governers base area but have a somewhat limited experience at Loon. I find being at the Octogon and hoping on Seven brothers to North Peak to be much faster. The lift hardly ever has a line. Also the east basin trails are probably some of the best on the mountain and the least crowed. The lift is painfully slow but you can cut across from north peak and just skip the upper portion.

I usually lap south peak and north peak most of the day. Make sure and cut over to east basin trails for a few runs.

Edd

I do think Triple Trouble is the funnest trail there, if it has the snow it needs, which is a lot.

machski

Personally, I start my days at South Peak. Makes it feel like your own private ski area in the mornings on weekdays. Loon has some fun glades that many overlook and should still be skiing good even after today and tomorrow's warm up. The one glade on South (undercut) is good but scope out the entrance from the Quad, can get boney fast. Mike's way, Bucksaw and Walking Boss woods are great and scaler on the lower angle is great for the kids. There are some very good local cuts too, not sure if Loon has had enough natural to make them any good or not this year though.

Smellytele

Personally, I start my days at South Peak. Makes it feel like your own private ski area in the mornings on weekdays. Loon has some fun glades that many overlook and should still be skiing good even after today and tomorrow's warm up. The one glade on South (undercut) is good but scope out the entrance from the Quad, can get boney fast. Mike's way, Bucksaw and Walking Boss woods are great and scaler on the lower angle is great for the kids. There are some very good local cuts too, not sure if Loon has had enough natural to make them any good or not this year though.

The glades were very boney 2 weeks ago when I was there and they haven't had any snow since.

machski

The glades were very boney 2 weeks ago when I was there and they haven't had any snow since.

Ahh, they have not gotten as much as VT and Maine this year. If that is the case on the marked glades, DO NOT seek out the off map stuff. It is steeper and gets skied out fast even in an epic snow year, which Loon has not really had this year.

deadheadskier

Staff member

Loon gets that much less snow than Cannon? I didn't know that. I guess elevation helps Cannon. The coverage in the glades on Saturday was outstanding.

skiMEbike

I appreciate all the tips/advice...Of all the lodges, which one would you recommend for trying to get some lunch during the day Saturday?

My priorities for picking a lodge would be efficiency...Not too concernded with quality or sit down service....It's all about getting a chance to sit down, take in some calories & minimizing the time inside the lodge. Thanks

Puck it

I appreciate all the tips/advice...Of all the lodges, which one would you recommend for trying to get some lunch during the day Saturday?

My priorities for picking a lodge would be efficiency...Not too concernded with quality or sit down service....It's all about getting a chance to sit down, take in some calories & minimizing the time inside the lodge. Thanks
North Peak Base Camp