• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Loon Mountain - April 16, 2006

Charlie Schuessler

Precipitation - 32° - 42°F

Lots of Trails Open – Nobody there to Ski on them!

Coverage consisted of grass & rocks to soft snow to hardpack-ice and dust on hardpack.

I didn’t get to the mountain until nearly noon where it was raining at the base. Being the last day I decided to ski anyway.

With the Kancamagus Quad, the Kissing Cousin double, the Gondola and the NorthPeak Express lifts operating, there were enough lifts operating to get around, just no skiers to get on the chairs. I skied onto both quads and the Gondola without anyone within two-three chairs in front or behind me the entire time I was on the mountain.

The lower elevation(s) weather consisted of steady raining; mid-mountain was a mixture of rain-sleet-snow and at the peak it was snowing. The upper trails were hardpack bases with some dust covering it. The top was also very windy and having left my goggles in the lodge, skiing up top was a challenge. Skiing the lower elevations was easier due to the soft snow but skiing in the rain was not much fun.

I skied a little more than 2-1/2 hours before I stopped. I was becoming a sponge.

My favorite run at the end of the day was off the Kancamagus Quad to Rampasture to Lower Northstar. It had soft snow with some bumps and open spots of grass & rocks feeling like spring conditions.

Summary for the day: Sorry to see the season end so soon…see ya next November with more trails and another lift…

Vortex

Charlie I sent you a PM. I was gone before you got there. It was snowing and Sleet earlier in the day. The snow was nice early. We left around 10.30. The Sunrise Service was the cloud rise service as the pastor stated. My kids got stuffed animals and enjoyed the Am events. Thankx to Loon ops for getting up early to help get the lifts going for the sercive.