• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Loon Mountain - Monday - Thursday, 2/23 - 2/26

Greg

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Monday - Thursday, February 23 - 26, 2004

Resort or Ski Area: Loon Mountain, Lincoln, New Hampshire

Conditions: Packed Powder, Moguls!, Some Scratchies late in the day. Bright sunshine, comfortable temps in the 20's, and very little wind.

Trip Report: We checked in at the Mountain Club on Loon Sunday afternoon to the tune of some snow showers. Turns out our room was in a prime location; slopeside, and basically across the hall from a stairway leading to the ski lockers, which are right off the slopes just up from the Seven Brother Triple and the gondola. Turned out to be a great spot for quickly heading to the suite which was perfect since we had our daughter and my wife and I could ski in shifts. The weather throughout the week was perfect - lots of bluebird skies, mostly calm winds (except Thursday on North Peak), and some great skiing.

Woke up Monday to a few inches of new powder. As we began exploring the mountain, we found many intermediate bump runs, namely on Seven Brothers, Rumrunner and Sunset. We also hit the advanced bump runs on Rolling Bear and Lower Flume. I skied the morning with Joe and Charlie S and finished up around noon. Last run was down Triple Trouble with Charlie and while thin in spots, had some nice, although dense powder. I finished the day off with a hike around the base with the snowshoes on and my daughter in the Kelty Pack.

The rest of the week was either on the bumps when just Joe and me, or on the cruisers when the ladies were with us. Great packed powder on the blues and the bumps softened a bit later in the morning with the sun. Best bump run by far was Sunset - perfect pitch for my limited, but improving, bumping ability (check the video below). Some of the intermediate terrain was skied off in the afternoon, but the sides all remained in decent shape. I’ve read a lot of reports knocking Loon’s grooming this season, but to me all the trails were in excellent shape, especially considering the lack of natural snow lately.

All in all a great trip! We hit the Common Man in Lincoln and the Woodstock Inn for dinners. The Black Diamond restaurant in the hotel itself was fair, but the experience at the Mountain Club overall was excellent. Great suite and great skiing. The Loon liftie staff was always friendly too and many times wished us a fun run/day. All in all, more firepower for why I love Loon, especially mid-week.

Click HERE for lots of pics

Videos:
Greg on Sunset Moguls
Joe on Sunset Moguls (with wipe-out)
Greg Jump
Joe Jump

skijay

It looks like you guys had a great time. I will have to wait until Monday to view the videos when I have a real PC and a broadband connection.

The Mountain Club at Loon is an awesome place to stay. I have stayed there for mountain biking and summer concert events.

Greg

Staff member
Looks like our trip happened just in time. They're calling for temps in the 40's and rain in Lincoln this week. The only thing that could've made last week any better was a big dump, but I'll glady take bluebird skies and bright sun for the whole week as an alternative any day! 8) I'm still smiling from that trip! :D

O

Oakley

Bet you got the trip for free for that Mountain Club at Loon ad you run, ya? :wink:

Greg

Staff member
Oakley said:
Bet you got the trip for free for that Mountain Club at Loon ad you run, ya? :wink:
Perks...

Joshua B said:
Lookin' good on the bumps playa!
Thanks, Joshua. I'm improving, but still a long way to go. Watching the video back has really helped me to see what I'm doing well, and wrong...