• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Loon South Peak Expansion

Smellytele

Interesting title to a thread, however can't agree with your vote. I like the gondola, like it as it 4 passenger cabin and do not really mind the line, as I feel it keeps the trails up top a little less busy especially when East Basin is closed. My vote for most hated would go to some of the older lifts still in operation, Madonna 1 or the Snowden Cripple. Can't say I'm a huge fan of the Trams at Cannon and Jay (for that matter at Snowbird Ut as well). To each his or her own.
Don't like having to take my skis off. The line for the loon gondola on weekends is horrible(worst in the state?). I'd rather take the slow east basin. Don't like the middle of loon. North (including east basin) and south is where the fun is.
Not a big fan of trams either.

machski

and it would pack even more people on the clusterfuck that is Grand Junction.
I believe there are plans to improve Grand Junction. At one time remember hearing tunnels/skier bridges akin to the ones K installed on Snowdon and Skye were planned to improve flow and declutter F it.

I would think Lincoln Express will be next up for lift upgrade prior to North. I say that seeing the Timbertown base development and think it will drive traffic to South. Those runs could handle a 6 much better than current North.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I wonder if Loon regrets not positioning the transfer lift such that you can get over from South via the Kanc lift to the quad.

doublediamond

Probably not. There’s snowmaking under the lift for a snow road for the groomers between the mountains. Lower down would mean you have to build a big bridge across the ravine and you’d spend more on snowmaking for the snow road.

RH29

Interesting title to a thread, however can't agree with your vote. I like the gondola, like it as it 4 passenger cabin and do not really mind the line, as I feel it keeps the trails up top a little less busy especially when East Basin is closed. My vote for most hated would go to some of the older lifts still in operation, Madonna 1 or the Snowden Cripple. Can't say I'm a huge fan of the Trams at Cannon and Jay (for that matter at Snowbird Ut as well). To each his or her own.
I can think of more hated lifts at least at the areas I frequent. Catamount's Ridge Quad (long, slow, huge lines, never loaded to capacity) and Waterville's Green Peak Triple (long, slow, only lift to access a ton of terrain) both come to mind.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Green Peak for sure. I typically only ski 2-3 runs a day over there because it's so slow. A HSQ and I would spend a few more runs for sure.

machski

Did find some fun glades on green peak right in the middle last year. I only take a few runs there as well. Northside is just as slow but like skiing that as well.
Enjoy Northside while you can. It's slated to close me out in their master plans and not be replaced. Green probably will be changed out if the Master Plan of linking Green to the Village ever happens.

Loon did consider extending the top terminal of the Kanc8 to allow access to Tote Road Quad. Ultimately, they thought that landing would cause more issues and elected to not move it uphill.

4aprice

I believe there are plans to improve Grand Junction. At one time remember hearing tunnels/skier bridges akin to the ones K installed on Snowdon and Skye were planned to improve flow and declutter F it.
When Killington announced they were doing that I was so skeptical but they really are an improvement and Grand Junction could use it. Get some flow between the top and bottom sections of Picked Rock for example, which is really something that I love about Loon, the long Gondola cruisers and still have the people crossing from the bubble to North Peak/East Basin.

Smellytele

When Killington announced they were doing that I was so skeptical but they really are an improvement and Grand Junction could use it. Get some flow between the top and bottom sections of Picked Rock for example, which is really something that I love about Loon, the long Gondola cruisers and still have the people crossing from the bubble to North Peak/East Basin.
I would call them short cruisers that all meet at grand junction. The middle of loon sucks!

machski

I believe Picked was noted to get a tunnel/bridge to allow for an uninterrupted run TTB. Not sure what the other plans were for GJ.

Does anyone know when they plan on opening South Peak? Will be in the area 12/18-12/20 and hoping to ski over there for a bit of variety.

machski

Does anyone know when they plan on opening South Peak? Will be in the area 12/18-12/20 and hoping to ski over there for a bit of variety.
Possible it opens then but not suppose to go super cold next week behind the unfavorable weather Sun/Mon. More likely they hold off til weekend before Christmas so you likely will miss it.

Thanks, that's what I figure as well.

The storm late Sunday into Monday looks brutal for early/mid week skiing next week, but I'll be back up in January on the way to SR, so I'll be skiing it then.

2planks2coasts

Green Peak for sure. I typically only ski 2-3 runs a day over there because it's so slow. A HSQ and I would spend a few more runs for sure.
I love my slow Green Peak chair. Keeps all the crowds over at the six pack or Valley Quad while I make my laps.

thebigo

Tomorrow appears to be gondola and north only. No kanc 8, entire reason you install a heated bubble is for days like tomorrow. NWS shows winds gusting to 35 mph, hopefully they can pivot quickly to east basin and kanc if necessary.

2planks2coasts

Tomorrow appears to be gondola and north only. No kanc 8, entire reason you install a heated bubble is for days like tomorrow. NWS shows winds gusting to 35 mph, hopefully they can pivot quickly to east basin and kanc if necessary.
Cannon & WV are closed entirely tomorrow. Honestly surprised Loon isn't as well. Keeping the Kanc closed will help preserve whatever snow is left there.

machski

Cranmore and Gunstock closed also.
Drove home around midday thru the Notch and stopped in Lincoln for lunch. Wind was almost calm on the highway by Cannon, couple fresh inches on the ground. Winds picked up quite a bit at the campground exit. New snow disappeared as soon as I exited notch where speed picks up. Completely bare ground along highway in Lincoln. South Peak had no evidence of any fresh natural and winds were not bad in town.

machski

Well, very unimpressed with lack of Kanc8 midweek this week. Fine, I;ll save some drive time and just go hit Sunapee. Nothing new at Loon since my last visit and stil no blacks offered.