• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Loon South Peak Expansion

KustyTheKlown

I use my tracker mainly for the mapping, but I like to know the vertical too. The mapping is pretty damn boring early season tho

Granite1

Wildcat is definitely the place to go to rack up vertical. Probably the fastest lift per vertical served with the least amount of terrain run out in the East. There's a reason why the 100k vertical challenge used to be held there

Not sure why anyone really cares about how much vertical they ski in a day though. Pretty nerdy
A lot of skiers have been tracking their vertical/number of runs they ski ever since skiing began, especially since apps like skitracks came around-makes it very easy. It's the same as keeping track of how many days and where you ski and there's nothing nerdy about it. Just like there's nothing nerdy about collecting paper trail maps.

2planks2coasts

A lot of skiers have been tracking their vertical/number of runs they ski ever since skiing began, especially since apps like skitracks came around-makes it very easy. It's the same as keeping track of how many days and where you ski and there's nothing nerdy about it. Just like there's nothing nerdy about collecting paper trail maps.

That's oddly specific..... 😁

deadheadskier

Staff member

No, it's definitely nerdy. I don't care about quantity of vertical, I care about the quality of the day. The amount of vertical skied has little to do with that.
One of my best days ever was three runs skied off the Chin at Stowe. So, maybe 9k vertical? That day tops any 50k vertical day I have had skiing off the Forerunner.

As for day count, some years I keep track, some years I don't. That's also nerdy

thebigo

Load test has been completed, opening day is Saturday December 17th.
Was cool to watch, loaded the chairs, ran it in every condition thinkable for a few hours. Max speed forward, emergency stop, max speed reverse, etc.

Rise between bottom terminal and first tower appears significant, looking forward to riding it.

skiur

No, it's definitely nerdy. I don't care about quantity of vertical, I care about the quality of the day. The amount of vertical skied has little to do with that.
One of my best days ever was three runs skied off the Chin at Stowe. So, maybe 9k vertical? That day tops any 50k vertical day I have had skiing off the Forerunner.

As for day count, some years I keep track, some years I don't. That's also nerdy
I never really kept track of days, but most of my ski days are at K and since they went RFID the screen at the gate tells you how many days you have for the year. Since they are keeping track for me I guess it is t nerdy. Does iKon and epic keep track for you?

bigbob

Great upgrade, that should help.
I rode it today 2 or 3 times. The tower head numbers where never corrected till you get near the top, what do you want for a million bucks!. It does make lapping North Peak alot faster. No line and the RFID reader works better than the Kanc 8 reader.

thebigo

First day since 7 bros opened, significant improvement moving people out of the base area, gondola line appeared shorter than would be expected. Did not realize it was going to have a loading carpet, also there are lighted guides that show where to load - first time I have seen this.

Forgot this from last year but loon is overrun with college kids this week, guess school is out and their pass may be blacked out next week? Parking was across the river by 9:00. Saw everything from a dude in natty light onesie smashing 24 oz cans while skiing to a snowboarding unicorn. Bars must be printing money this week, line ten deep to buy $10 plastic cups of beer; feel for the staff though, apparently some still feel change is a decent tip.

Fortunately the kids stayed out of the trees and there was still something left over from the storm.20221219_104611.jpg20221219_101946.jpg

parahelia

First day since 7 bros opened, significant improvement moving people out of the base area, gondola line appeared shorter than would be expected. Did not realize it was going to have a loading carpet, also there are lighted guides that show where to load - first time I have seen this.

Forgot this from last year but loon is overrun with college kids this week, guess school is out and their pass may be blacked out next week? Parking was across the river by 9:00. Saw everything from a dude in natty light onesie smashing 24 oz cans while skiing to a snowboarding unicorn. Bars must be printing money this week, line ten deep to buy $10 plastic cups of beer; feel for the staff though, apparently some still feel change is a decent tip.

Fortunately the kids stayed out of the trees and there was still something left over from the storm.View attachment 55406View attachment 55407
Nice - thanks for the report! I was going to head up for a day trip later this week and was hoping there’d be some trees/bumps available. I want to demo new skis but if there’s only groomers it’s a pretty incomplete picture.

mbedle

I never really kept track of days, but most of my ski days are at K and since they went RFID the screen at the gate tells you how many days you have for the year. Since they are keeping track for me I guess it is t nerdy. Does iKon and epic keep track for you?
Epic tracks everything for you (if you let it) - vertical, lifts, distance, highest elevation and map of the day. Even if you don't let it, it tracks everything but which runs you took!!!

SteezyRob

Nattie Light Onesie dude is a legend, I have seen him at Mt Snow

View attachment 55427
haha that's awesome. i love this type of stuff, these well known people throughout the area just because of some gimmick they do. i guess what comes to mind is the mall guy at bush or the blue guy at hunter (only read about him though). i guess i don't know many but the thing is cool to me.