• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lost my skis up on Stowe kitchen wall, want to attempt to go get them back,advice?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I'd just grab a good backpack you can attach skis to, ski out there with a new pair, grab 'em, and ski out the way you did before with the second pair on your back, assuming you need the hands to climb back out of wherever they are.

Although it sounds like there is more to this story than meets the eye.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think a local has a new, pre-owned pair of skis.

fixed

as of Monday I'm certain.

That is one of the most heavily trafficked off map areas at Stowe. Pretty much every square inch of the Kitchen Wall gets covered. People head out the traverse and make attempts at lines that aren't really good or dead end.

I'd be shocked if they made it more than a day or two.

Don't mean to be a downer OP, I'm just speaking from experience as I was a local at Stowe for 6 years.

Last edited:

snoseek

Are they buried? Metal detector

went back and reread. Yeah those are probably gone...

atkinson

Website
www.sugarbush.com
The resort should not be prepared for these situations. The guy that suggested he call Stowe, did it to make fun of the OP. The fact that he actually called and asked for them to go get his skis after he left them out of bounds in the woods shows the level of thinking involved here.

Let Greg P. get them for you. He'll come back safely and probably with your skis. With your record so far, I'd stay out of the cliffy spots.

Mtn Xer

The resort should not be prepared for these situations. The guy that suggested he call Stowe, did it to make fun of the OP. The fact that he actually called and asked for them to go get his skis after he left them out of bounds in the woods shows the level of thinking involved here.

Let Greg P. get them for you. He'll come back safely and probably with your skis. With your record so far, I'd stay out of the cliffy spots.

I never said I called them specifically only to ask for someone to go up and get them, so dont go assuming. I called them that next day (not now after the post) to actually report a lost ski to the resort in case someone turns them in for them to give me a call. There actually are nice people in this world too you know. I also called to ask someone who works at Stowe as a grounds keeper who is a friend of a friend actually if he knew someone who could go up there and he said Stowe wont send any of their employees up there. I obviously was NOT expecting them to SEND someone to retrieve my skis, im not that much of a NOOB to mountains.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com

This

wa-loaf

i'll get them for you. i know that area well. i like otter creek sampler packs. PM me the type of skis and as much info as you can on location

Hey if you think you can go up there and fetch them out for me that'd be GREAT! You will certainly be compensated. I will be PM you with the details and as much info as I can regarding the location.

As far as if they're stolen, I have no clue, BUT considering the location I doubt anyone would see them, they are NOT visible from the overhead traversing trail. You would have to end up in there either lost or skiing down a completely unbeaten path to come across them.
I will attempt to see what ski patrol can do for me. I contacted the mountain and they said they cant send any of their staff up into that area as it is "out of bounds."

This has got to become a trip report on FIS! Please share here after you find them. :LOL:

deadheadskier

Staff member
I never said I called them specifically only to ask for someone to go up and get them, so dont go assuming. I called them that next day (not now after the post) to actually report a lost ski to the resort in case someone turns them in for them to give me a call.

I hope that happens for you. I thought about that after my post. I know if I was skiing through there and saw a set of sticks, I'd most likely turn them into lost in found. My conscience wouldn't allow me to just take them away.

I'd actually probably be somewhat freaked out if I ran into a set of skis in the woods. Only times I've run into a apparently abandoned set of skis in the woods has been accompanied by the smell of ganja in the air....safety meeting. If that wasn't the situation and it was clear no one was in the area I'd be more concerned that the owner of the skis clicked out and had some sort of health issue and might be face down in a tree well nearby.

good luck Mtn. Xer

vdk03

im not that much of a NOOB to mountains.

You took your skis off, threw them over a cliff and then hiked off the mountain...sorry to break it to ya but you are a NOOB IMHO

I wish you luck retrieving them though.

Last edited:

filejw

I think you you should rent till spring as it is snowing on the mountain and has since last night.

C-Rex

I bet Bear Grylls would have made it out WITH the skis...

Les Stroud would have made it out with them too, but he'd be too smart to get in the situation in the first place.

BenedictGomez

You took your skis off, threw them over a cliff and then hiked off the mountain...sorry to break it to ya but you are a NOOB IMHO

I wish you luck retrieving them though.

Let he who has never thrown his skis off of a cliff cast the first stone.

Les Stroud would have made it out with them too, but he'd be too smart to get in the situation in the first place.

Les Stroud is a snowboarder. Seriously. He lives around the corner from me and rides at our local hill.

I too, am looking forward to the FIS report.

Last edited: