• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lowered my DIN setting

tarponhead

Turned 50 this year and received an unsolicited AARP card. Meh, don't care. Got my skis back from their preseason tune and the shop informed me they were required to lower my DIN setting by one due to my age. THAT bothered me...

hammer

Turned 50 this year and received an unsolicited AARP card. Meh, don't care. Got my skis back from their preseason tune and the shop informed me they were required to lower my DIN setting by one due to my age. THAT bothered me...
Can you change your skier type or are you already at 3+?

Warp Daddy

Listen just get out a big motha screwdriver and change the damn thing :daffy: o whatever ya want , im 70 and set my own and at this stage just go for it , if u can handle it don,t sweat the details " live life age is but a damn number !!

wa-loaf

Why are they changing your binding settings on a tune?

tarponhead

Preseason special at Heinos; tune and check bindings. Chucklehead here still in my first decade of skiing so was ignorant to 50+ rule

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
These rules are probably rooted in well meaning but seem flawed. It's not like something magical happens at 50. There's a curve where you should probably turn down your DIN's but I seriously doubt at 49 1/2 you have some astronomically higher risk than you do at 50 1/2.

hammer

Preseason special at Heinos; tune and check bindings. Chucklehead here still in my first decade of skiing so was ignorant to 50+ rule
Just curious...did the shop require you to provide both of your boots? I recently had a shop request that and in the past I used to just provide one boot for a binding check. The rationale, which I completely understood, was that the shop wanted to know that both boots worked properly with both skis.

These rules are probably rooted in well meaning but seem flawed. It's not like something magical happens at 50. There's a curve where you should probably turn down your DIN's but I seriously doubt at 49 1/2 you have some astronomically higher risk than you do at 50 1/2.
I can think of at least a few medical tests that one can apply that argument to...including the one that everyone should have at age 50 (and I do not look forward to).

tarponhead

Just curious...did the shop require you to provide both of your boots? I recently had a shop request that and in the past I used to just provide one boot for a binding check. The rationale, which I completely understood, was that the shop wanted to know that both boots worked properly with both skis.

Both boots; they test each binding independently.

Bumpsis

I've been dialing up my own DIN settings for years now. Every now and then, when I rent some new ski I want to try, the shop will set the bidings so I see what they dial up. There were times when I felt I should have released but did not, so came up with my own system.
I follow a simple rule: I set it to a point where I twist out of the toe with some pronounced effort. The same for the heel. I have my wife or my son step behind the heel of my binding so there is weight on the back of my ski and I do my best to lift out of the back. For the front, I bend my knee to about 30 degree, put forward pressure on the toe piece and try to slide out of it by sideways twist.
The settings actually work out to be just below what a ski shop would actually set it.

So far, I've never released when I shouldn't have. I ski fairly fast (skier type 3, using the DIN setting descriptions). I am reasonably confident that my knees will be spared and manage to stay in even when going fast. I have Marker and Look bindings. I have less trust in Salomons but that's probably a historical prejudice. Very long time ago Salomons 404 bidings held me in when they should have released and messed up a western ski trip for me. Bad memory.