• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mad River Glen 3/20/08

Zand

Live Report: Not pretty. Upper Antelope is open from the single and a couple of blues off the double. Below the midstation. Easy Way is the only groomed trail. The ungroomed stuff has a breakable crust on it but it's just a couple hours until it freezes solid. Every black is closed.

The good news: It's snowing pretty good with a couple inches down already with a temp of 23 so hopefully things shape up for Sugarbush tomorrow.

12:30 Update: Still snowing hard, but the base isn't getting any better. Some broken up places are skiing well.

1:50: Getting sick of skiing the same trail. Starting to second guess even coming today.

3:30: Conditions improving with the continuing snowfall. Still nothing open though, but the open ungroomed trails are all breaking up the crust nicely.

Last edited:

wa-loaf

In the Sugarbush thread it sounds like he's using an MRG computer in the base lodge.

Zand

Date(s) Skied: Thursday 3/20/08

Resort or Ski Area: Mad River Glen, VT

Conditions: Breakable Crust that broke nicely when people skied on it

Trip Report:

Probably the most boring day one could ever get at MRG, but it was fun anyway. Most of the day was spent hitting Easy Way off the midstation to either Bunny or whatever the next blue down is. Upper Antelope was the lone trail from the upper single which was all blown off for the most part and wasn't worth spending the extra minutes on the lift to get to. Waterfall had some nice bumps between Bunny and Easy Way. The very last part of Beaver was also open but was scraped.

Around 4:00, they opened Quacky which had some nice bumps and also allowed me to hit some decent woods and get a lot of Gazelle. The breakable crust on Gazelle was actually fun to ski on. Also on that side, One Way was a bit tough with some weird bumps.

Well, that's about all for this one... place should be in great shape now and it's 100% open again.

bvibert

Staff member
I was there today too, tried to take it easy, but I was still pretty beat by days end. I called it quits at around 3:30. I eventually was able to put together a pretty decent run of Quacky>>QuackyII>>Woods alongside Gazelle>>Across Easy Way to more woods>>Gazelle (bumped, even on the lower blue section)>>Steep little bump shot down to Easy Way>>One Way (bumped nicely)>>Cut through trees to Eaton's Run right under the double. I ended the day doing that several times. I did several laps off of the single, hitting the blue that peels off skier's right before Antelope crosses Catamount Bowl then traversing to some of the open stuff on the lower mountain, like Bunny>>Lower Beaver>>Bunny>>Rockefellars (some bumps). I made it over to Waterfall a time or two, which wasn't terrible.

Zand

I wish I would've found you Thursday... I wanted to explore a little more to get off the run I was doing all day but didn't want to hurt myself alone.

bvibert

Staff member
Sorry I missed the meet-up, I think I ended up taking a longer lunch than planned which caused me to be late..

snowmonster

Zand, sorry I missed you on Thursday. I was at the single chair at 12 and waited around for a bit. The snowfall was too tempting so I headed up. Anyway, on my first run, I ducked into some woods to the right of Bunny and ended up on Canyons (closed). As I was getting off Canyons, a ski patroller was standing right in the middle of the trail. He told me I wasn't supposed to be on a closed trail and all. I thought he was going to take my pass. He just let me ski away with a warning. Anyway, I kept skiing 'til the lifts stopped at 430.

I did runs mostly off the single (got off mid-mountain several times since only Antelope was open up top). Did two trips up the double. Quacky was severely icy. The glades were so tempting, I kept ducking into them in between Bunny and Porcupine. General condition in there was powder over ice. But the powder in there was begging to get tracked up so I gave in. Birdland was actually pretty good since there was nobody there.

Snow was coming down all day and it didn't stop until I was having a beer in the basebox pub. I hope to ski with you someday. All in all, a great day!

Zand

Zand, sorry I missed you on Thursday. I was at the single chair at 12 and waited around for a bit. The snowfall was too tempting so I headed up. Anyway, on my first run, I ducked into some woods to the right of Bunny and ended up on Canyons (closed). As I was getting off Canyons, a ski patroller was standing right in the middle of the trail. He told me I wasn't supposed to be on a closed trail and all. I thought he was going to take my pass. He just let me ski away with a warning. Anyway, I kept skiing 'til the lifts stopped at 430.

I did runs mostly off the single (got off mid-mountain several times since only Antelope was open up top). Did two trips up the double. Quacky was severely icy. The glades were so tempting, I kept ducking into them in between Bunny and Porcupine. General condition in there was powder over ice. But the powder in there was begging to get tracked up so I gave in. Birdland was actually pretty good since there was nobody there.

Snow was coming down all day and it didn't stop until I was having a beer in the basebox pub. I hope to ski with you someday. All in all, a great day!

I was there at noon too... guess we just didn't recognize each other.