• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic 1/4/13

Kleetus

After much deliberation last night between skiing at Black Mountain in NH or Magic I settled on Magic and left home base early this morning for Vermont. I pulled into the parking lot around 8:40 and was skiing by 9 after getting my ticket. I had never been to Magic before and was excited to get a chance to try it with all the snow from Thursdays/Fridays storm.

Magic skied excellent. Pretty much everything that was open had good coverage and was mostly chopped up remnants from yesterday but there were still some powder stashes here and there (especially in the woods if you were careful). I spent most of the morning skiing Magician, Slide of Hans, Broomstick, Heart of Magician, Sorcerer, and Talisman. All were excellent with the exception of Magician which was good but needs a little bit more snow before you can rip down it without fearing you'll be kicking up rocks. Later in the morning they dropped ropes on Twilight Zone and Witch, both of which had been skied pretty heavily prior to opening but still had good snow. Black Line also skied very well and had good coverage, but I only skied it a few times because everything else was so good. Pick of the day was Twilight Zone which had TONS of snow on it (not that everything else didn't). While it was cold in the morning (-10 when I pulled in) it warmed up nicely and felt almost balmy this afternoon compared to the morning (15 when I left) with no wind. I departed around 3 for a few beers at the bar before heading back to NH.

This was my first time going to Magic and I will definitely be back. It truly is a hidden gem and lives up to all the hype I have read about it on AlpineZone. I expect this will be my new default place to go on a powder day or after a big dump in Vermont.

Last edited:

Kleetus

I see now that I was an idiot and am still living in 2013.....This was in 2014...aka today...I tried to change the name of the thread but can't. I'm kinda new to posting on here so if anyone knows how to change thread names please let me know and I will fix it.

xwhaler

Magician open?! Nice. Magic is awesome.....glad you discovered it. Welcome again to AZ

Sent from my VS980 4G using AlpineZone mobile app

Cornhead

I see now that I was an idiot and am still living in 2013.....This was in 2014...aka today...I tried to change the name of the thread but can't. I'm kinda new to posting on here so if anyone knows how to change thread names please let me know and I will fix it.

Don't sweat it, you've been writing 13 for a year, we all do it. I had planned skiing Magic today, but opted for Plattekill instead, no regrets, but Magic is high on my to ski list. I've driven past several times while traveling to ski elsewhere. Thanks for the TR.

Kleetus

Thanks for the report. We're any of the unmarked trees in play?

This was my first time at Magic and I did not get a chance to hit any of the unmarked stuff (much less find it). I did hit some of the marked glades and they had good snow but could use a little bit more base. Once every run it seemed I would scrape down to moss somewhere but didn't do any damage to my skis. Given the unmarked stuff was likely skied less they were probably good.

dlague

Click on Edit then click the Go Advanced. Modify and stir then Post!