• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic Mountain 04-06-08

loafer89

Area skied: Magic mountain, Vermont.

Date skied: April 6th from 9:15am - 4:20pm

Surface conditions: machine groomed, frozen granular (early ungroomed) spring corn

Weather: cloudy, fog near the summit, 35F at 9:00am, 37F at 4:20pm

Today was not a planned ski day, but we thought we would get in some spring snow and weather today at Magic Mountain, what we actually got was something altogether different, but still fun.

We arrived to a cloudy and sullen looking Magic Mountain, with the top 1/3 of the mountain socked in the clouds, and quite alot of bare spots showing on Black Magic and Black Line, Red Line and Sorcerer. Some people actually pulled into the parking lot, looked up at the mountain and then drove away:blink:.

Magic:

Magic.jpg

We started out skiing down a groomed Upper Magic Carpet to Wand and then down Hocus Pocus. Dipping into the ungroomed snow on the edges was a teeth rattling experience and I started to question the logic of skiing today.

Next up was a run down Betwixt which had just been groomed and we followed the groomers track down Trick and Kinderspiel which had nice soft corn snow that made for easy turns.

We took a test run down an ungoomed Upper and Lower Wizard which was starting to soften up even with the cloud cover due to the high April sun angle with high solar radiation coming through the clouds. Some parts of the run where very thin with a few mud/bare spots and underlying ice.

We did Wizard to Broomstick to Heart Of Magician, which had bare areas of grass, but lovely corn snow as well, but there was a water bar to side step over at the bottom of the run, no big deal.

Heart Of Magician:

HeartOfMagician.jpg

By 11am, corn snow was to be found nearly everywhere and it was time to explore the mountain with my son. We skied Twilight Zone which has very deep cover and fairly large hard moguls:

TwilightZone.jpg

Warren had this suicidal wish to ski Red Line which was more rocks and moss than snow, but we did it anyway:

Redline.jpg

We did runs down Talisman which had very deep cover and was fun to ski with plentiful corn snow. Sorcerer was much thinner and with narrowing areas of snowcover in spots:

Sorcerer.jpg

Me at high speed:

:lol:

Wheresthesnow.jpg

Today is closing day at Magic and despite some bare areas on the steep and extreme stuff, the mountain does have alot of snow on it's major snowmaking runs and Magic Carpet has edge to edge cover that will probably be skiable for a few more weeks:

LowerMagicCarpet.jpg

We did 14 top to bottom runs including three down Boomstick/Heart Of Magician/Lower Magician and a run down Black Magic/Black Line. We both like the mountain and will be back next season.

Last edited:

2knees

i like the pic of you grass skiing. cool that magic still had that stuff open. let the skier decide!

Greg

Staff member
i like the pic of you grass skiing. cool that magic still had that stuff open. let the skier decide!

Indeed! And Warren rocking Redline? Nice!

loafer89

amazing how the blacks whithered away within only two weeks. Nice place. nice pics & report, thanks. How deep was the mud in the parking lot?

Not very as the sun never came out yesterday and it stayed cold (37F) during the afternoon.

loafer89

My son is the poster child for late season skiing, the thinner and less snow that a trail has on it, the more he wants to ski it.

Greg

Staff member
My son is the poster child for late season skiing, the thinner and less snow that a trail has on it, the more he wants to ski it.

Good for Warren. I love picking around late season thinness.

loafer89

Good for Warren. I love picking around late season thinness.

I think that you would have really enjoyed the moguls on Goniff Glade and Twilight Zone yesterday, they had perfect spacing with great corn snow and where deserted all day long.