• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic Mountain 1/6/13

reefer

Headed to Magic today with my son Mike, DoubleEject, and Makimono. I will refer my report to Mr. Tunas from yesterday. I'm too tired for anything like that, plus it was fantastic, and it was pretty much the same today.
Magic is skiing great. No hitches with Red today. No lift lines. Pretty quiet for the most part. Definitely got my ass kicked........again.
Kudos to the Moon Dog Cafe in downtown Chester. Great espresso stop for the ride home.

a few pics.

Makimono diving into Talisman

The boyz on Hans

Maki does rip that mono!

Yes I drink the cool-aid. Love this place.................

emmaurice2

Drove by on my way home from Bromley, coverage looks fantastic. I admit I felt a tiny twinge of regret, even though I had a great time at Bromley. We usually stop at Moon Dog for coffee and a snack, groovy place.

Cornhead

Looks good reefer, I think I may try to hit Magic on one of my trips this year, never been. Maybe do a Magic, Sugarbush, MRG trip. I've got vouchers to the others. I've driven by Magic several times in my travels, I think it's time I stop for a drink of Kool-Aid, oh yeah!
koolaid-man-copy.jpg

powhunter

Nice TR Reef!! Makimono can rip the bumps on that contraption as well! I gotta get up there !!

Steveo

bdfreetuna

Nice pics! Looks like the conditions there are going to remain excellent unless we get some terrible weather.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I will stick my neck out on this one and say, having skied Magic on Saturday and Loon today/Monday: Magic has way better conditions than Loon. Even with Loon running what looks to be about 70 snow guns.
Run, duck, hide. 'nuf said.

polski

Website
twitter.com
Lack of excessive skier traffic can do wonders for skiing quality. This is why I favor places like Magic (though when I'm going for lift-served, I do have to put my foot down and demand a minimum of one lift ...) and MRG (with uphill capacity to the summit of 500 skiers per hour, or maybe it's 600 now, I forget). It's also why I've come to get far greater satisfaction out of earning turns on local 100-200' hills than navigating boilerplate and crowds at a big resort.

Cornhead

I do have to put my foot down and demand a minimum of one lift ...)
Ha, nice. Yeah, maybe they should be persecuted for poor management and planning, but I hope they succeed. Love places with "soul" that cater to hardcore skiers and boarders, and not people who go a couple times per season for something to do, if they ski at all when they go. Plattekill has that vibe, no one does weekend trips to Platty. Hell, there's virtually no lodging nearby. The only people I've met there from the big city, own second homes in the area. One guy I met said he won't even tell his friends back home about it, for fear of it changing. Looking forward to skiing Magic for the first time...hope the lifts/lift are/is spinning!