• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Marc's Sunday or: cutting trees without landing them on the parents' sunroom

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
My parents had some trees that were close to their house they wanted down. My dad has seen me fall trees for firewood and has been impressed with my technique, which improved greatly after I got a book on the subject, and cut for a bit with a graduate of the forestry program at Paul Smith's in NY.

The trees in question were a poplar, a sugar maple and small (eastern?) cedar.

My old man doesn't like poplar trees close to the house because of their shallow root systems. The sugar maple had a split and was starting to die (although the trunk was still healthy) and my mom didn't like the looks of the cedar.

Sunday morning, my dad decided it was time to work on em since the ground was mostly frozen and partially snow covered. We roped all of them for a little insurance, but they all were straight trees. Well the poplar had bends, but they cancelled each other out for the most part. It was the hardest tree of the three to read, but I knew the center of gravity was not very far off the stump.

Below is the poplar stump, which was quite close to the dog pen (no dog in it of course).

0104091115.jpg

I cut a little high because although it doesn't show in the picture, from the ground to where I cut leaned back a fair bit (the house is about twenty feet to the left of the stump in this picture). I palmed a short wedge (not the one in the pic) but never needed to drive it in. The tree rolled a bit after the hinge broke because of a big limb that it fell on to one side. In retrospect, perhaps a more open face (I was about 70 degrees) and having the hinge hange on all the way may have been a better option, but then, I also wouldn't want to deal with an unbroken, loaded hinge on this tree either. Plus the dog pen is old and unused so wasn't of much concern.

Next up, the maple tree, which was the hardest off the three.

0104091206.jpg

Yours truely with my 372 and axe (and fine looking eggshell I got from work). I didn't take a picture of this stump, but it was about the same as the poplar. I left a good hinge, used about a 70 degree face and aimed to have the hinge break off only when it was almost on the ground. This had a flat, almost single plane canopy so there wasn't the risk of rolling like the poplar. I cut this one above buttresses so I wasn't cutting in the dirty snow.

This shows the proximity to the sunroom on the house-

0104091206a.jpg

Notice the dog pen to the right and the branches to the left near the sun room. This was as perfect as my aim gets.

The last tree was the smaller cedar. My dad asked me to show him what I was talking about with a 90 degree face and a hinge remaining unbroken, so I cut one on this tree. It was small, straight, and I don't think it had the height to reach the house if it went the wrong way so I demonstrated for him. Top cut about 70 degrees, bottom cut sloped about 20. End result, hinge hangs on to the bitter end.

0104091202.jpg

My dad retired this Friday, so now he's got some clean up work to do and firewood to stack. Good thing too, because I think he was getting on my mom's nerves.

Glenn

Nice work! Getting trees to fall in a certain spot is practically an art form. That's some impressive work right there.

drjeff

This thread so beats any mogul thread!

Nice tree falling work there Marc!

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
You're my hero.

Dog Pen, or Goat Pen?

Dog... goats are kept at my house-

There are no goats. No goats. At all.

This thread so beats any mogul thread!

Nice tree falling work there Marc!

Thanks doc. If you ever need one on the ground that's not near your house or powerlines, let me know. Be more than happy to do it just for the experience.

Marc's a lumberjack, and that's OK!

Seriously, nice work.

-w

I don't even really like scones that much.... though...

Grassi21

Great wood stoke. I need to clear some trees for the wood shed we plan to build in the spring. Unfortunately they are near some power lines so I need a hired gun to do the falling.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Great wood stoke. I need to clear some trees for the wood shed we plan to build in the spring. Unfortunately they are near some power lines so I need a hired gun to do the falling.

Yeap, don't want to screw around... not with primaries, anyway. But if you tell them you just want it on the ground and nothing else, it will defray a lot of expense in labor and equipment.

Grassi21

Yeap, don't want to screw around... not with primaries, anyway. But if you tell them you just want it on the ground and nothing else, it will defray a lot of expense in labor and equipment.

That is what I was thinking. There are 4 nice oaks that I want to clear.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Impressive work --

-- tell your dad to get re-acquainted with his skis and get outta teh house and give your mom a break :D

Haha, if he was to get on skis, there would be no "re" about it. Music, skiing, cycling and firefighting are all pursuits I've taken up separate from the rest of the family. They all think I'm a bit wierd/crazy.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
It's ok with my old man though, he'll be working on the family farm land enough that he won't bug mom. Plus she still works full time teaching because she likes it.

ctenidae

Haha, if he was to get on skis, there would be no "re" about it. Music, skiing, cycling and firefighting are all pursuits I've taken up separate from the rest of the family. They all think I'm a bit wierd/crazy.

I have a feeling that's not because of your (listed) extracurricular activities.

Where does one go to get a pair of hot orange safety chaps?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Provincetown.

Or eBay.

Or if you want to get bent over without going to p-town, buy a pair from your local Stihl or Husqvarna dealer.

drjeff

You see me with the battery powered saws-all wracking down the trees after the last ice storm .. I was so unsafe ..

I would have thought that you would have just whacked the heck out of them with that big 'ol wrench you're holding in your avatar!

drjeff

But a real vermonter cuts trees with duct tape. Official State Tool. Good for all applications. 8)

I thought a real Vermonter just used small hand saws that can be easily hidden in a back pack for tree cutting ;) Except of course if you're cutting on Big Jay ;) :eek: :spin: ;)