• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Marc's Sunday or: cutting trees without landing them on the parents' sunroom

serious tree stoke!!! I don't even own a chainsaw but there is an ax at work if I ever have the urge to cut down a tree..

I LOVE when folks cut wood with their teeth. Gives me something to fix all work day long :)

I really hope you're joking although I know a bartender who chipped one of his back teeth opening a bottle with his teeth..a bottlecap opener seems much better..

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Nice work on the tree cutting Marc. On Sunday I cut down a large Yellow Birch that had broken off 25 feet up. Went down pretty nicely (didn't need wedges). I cut off the stump after falling the tree. When I got the stump to the house I tried to split it and my maul just bounces off. I'm going to try wedges next.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Nice work on the tree cutting Marc. On Sunday I cut down a large Yellow Birch that had broken off 25 feet up. Went down pretty nicely (didn't need wedges). I cut off the stump after falling the tree. When I got the stump to the house I tried to split it and my maul just bounces off. I'm going to try wedges next.

I have had some yellow birch be absolutely horrible and some really good to split. A lot depends on the wood.

Wait until we've had a few consecutive very cold days. Wood that's frozen through is much easier to split.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I have had some yellow birch be absolutely horrible and some really good to split. A lot depends on the wood.

Wait until we've had a few consecutive very cold days. Wood that's frozen through is much easier to split.

The tree was completely frozen on the stump (I cut it down in single digit temps). Many times the butt piece is the hardest to split no matter what kind of wood it is since the grain is twisting into the root system. I split a couple pieces from the other end of the tree and they cracked pretty easily.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
The tree was completely frozen on the stump (I cut it down in single digit temps). Many times the butt piece is the hardest to split no matter what kind of wood it is since the grain is twisting into the root system. I split a couple pieces from the other end of the tree and they cracked pretty easily.

Yup, that's true indeed. Sink a wedge into the trunk side if the grain is garbled on the stump side. I love the feeling a getting a tough piece to cower under my might and mechanical advantage.

Terry

My grandfather always told me that you split the top end of a tree and the bottom end of a woman. It has been good advice so far!

wa-loaf

I took this photo on my honeymoon in Bavaria years ago, but I think Marc would appreciate it:
44_wood2.jpg

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I took this photo on my honeymoon in Bavaria years ago, but I think Marc would appreciate it:

I need to build a woodshed like that one!
Currently, I have a makeshift plastic covered lean-to framed with small cedar and fir poles. It only holds 3 cords so I had to stack 1/2 cord under my deck. I'd like to build something more permanent that holds at least four cord.

wa-loaf

I need to build a woodshed like that one!
Currently, I have a makeshift plastic covered lean-to framed with small cedar and fir poles. It only holds 3 cords so I had to stack 1/2 cord under my deck. I'd like to build something more permanent that holds at least four cord.

It's actually the side of a barn.