• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Max distance for 3 day/extended weekend?

skiNEwhere

I don't think I could justify a flight for just 3 days. If it were 4 days of actually skiing then MAYBE I'd consider whistler, but that seems like a place I would want to stay 6-7 days, with one of those days to explore the area

darent

5 to 7 hrs, have done Sugarloaf many times over the years for the summit and spring skiing.

steamboat1

Lol... it's a minimum of 5 hours for me to get to my lodge near K. Did it 14 times last year. Skied last day at K (May 18). Left Sat. night about 6, slept, skied,& was home for Sun. dinner.

steamboat1

7 - 8 hours will get me to Sugarloaf. I can get anywhere else in New England or ADKS in less. Quebec is a 4 day minimum for me. Tentatively planning a 4 day Jay/Eastern Townships trip in March
Add at least another 2 hours (probably more) to get up to Quebec City from the Eastern Townships. That's all highway driving too.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Not skiing related, but what's the furthest anyone has driven in a clip without stopping for a night?

For me, it was Cape Cod to Atlanta in 1996, right after the Olympics. I was dating a girl from there who had very strict Southern Baptist parents. Her and I were both working on the Cape that summer. Her parents wanted her home for the Olympics and a couple of weeks visit before she went back to college. They refused the idea of her driving with a boyfriend all the way from Cape Cod. It was either her dad fly up and drive down with her (and her having zero desire to spend two days travelling with her dad in a car) or she would fly down and I'd drive her 94 Ford Explorer back home for her. The car had to be driven back to Atlanta because she was to be a sophomore and her college didn't allow freshman and sophomore's to have cars if they lived on campus.

I had a day shift on a Saturday tending bar and got out at 5PM and left directly after my shift. The highway getting off the Cape was jammed due to a tropical storm approaching and the accompanying mass exodus of tourists, so it took me 2 hours alone just to get off the Cape. I arrived at her parents house at 2PM the next Sunday. So, 21 hours straight in the car only stopping for gas and fast food. I literally walked through the door, said my hellos and went straight to bed in the guest room for a long nap before Sunday family dinner. I had been awake for 30 hours straight, 21 hours of which were driving a car, 7 hours bar tending. Never been so tired. AND, I had to fly out at noon the following Monday to get back to the Cape because I had to be to work for another bar shift at 10AM on Tuesday.

This is probably TMI, but her parents went to 4PM mass that Sunday while I was napping. Dear daughter woke me up ever so nicely while they were gone, snuck downstairs to the guest room again during the middle of the night and we found a secluded spot to test out the back of the 94 Ford Explorer on the way to the airport the next morning. The kicker is this Southern Belle was a "journal writer" and forgot her journal when she flew back to college two weeks later. Dad eventually found the journal and read the story of my 18 hours at his house in Atlanta with his daughter. Yeah, no bueno.

At 38, I have a hard time justifying driving much more than 5-6 hours for a weekend skiing, but at 20, I had no problem driving 21 to get laid. :lol:

crank

My friend and I drove my PLymouth Duster from CT to Denver nonstop. We were 19 and we took turns at the wheel. I think it took about 36 hours.

dlague

Not skiing related, but what's the furthest anyone has driven in a clip without stopping for a night?

For me, it was Cape Cod to Atlanta in 1996, right after the Olympics. I was dating a girl from there who had very strict Southern Baptist parents. Her and I were both working on the Cape that summer. Her parents wanted her home for the Olympics and a couple of weeks visit before she went back to college. They refused the idea of her driving with a boyfriend all the way from Cape Cod. It was either her dad fly up and drive down with her (and her having zero desire to spend two days travelling with her dad in a car) or she would fly down and I'd drive her 94 Ford Explorer back home for her. The car had to be driven back to Atlanta because she was to be a sophomore and her college didn't allow freshman and sophomore's to have cars if they lived on campus.

I had a day shift on a Saturday tending bar and got out at 5PM and left directly after my shift. The highway getting off the Cape was jammed due to a tropical storm approaching and the accompanying mass exodus of tourists, so it took me 2 hours alone just to get off the Cape. I arrived at her parents house at 2PM the next Sunday. So, 21 hours straight in the car only stopping for gas and fast food. I literally walked through the door, said my hellos and went straight to bed in the guest room for a long nap before Sunday family dinner. I had been awake for 30 hours straight, 21 hours of which were driving a car, 7 hours bar tending. Never been so tired. AND, I had to fly out at noon the following Monday to get back to the Cape because I had to be to work for another bar shift at 10AM on Tuesday.

This is probably TMI, but her parents went to 4PM mass that Sunday while I was napping. Dear daughter woke me up ever so nicely while they were gone, snuck downstairs to the guest room again during the middle of the night and we found a secluded spot to test out the back of the 94 Ford Explorer on the way to the airport the next morning. The kicker is this Southern Belle was a "journal writer" and forgot her journal when she flew back to college two weeks later. Dad eventually found the journal and read the story of my 18 hours at his house in Atlanta with his daughter. Yeah, no bueno.

At 38, I have a hard time justifying driving much more than 5-6 hours for a weekend skiing, but at 20, I had no problem driving 21 to get laid. :lol:

Nice hijack, but I will roll with it! I drove from Concord, NH to Fort Jackson, SC for my sons basic training graduation about two years ago. And a very long time ago I drove from Fort Polk , LA to Northern Vermont when I got out of the military and needed to be back to start school at LSC.

ScottySkis

I was in a car trip from Caly to NY with 3 other people we hit the south of USA but one was a travel agent so we got good discounts at a hotels the longest anyone drove or me was 8 hours or so. Such an awesome trip I loved New Orleans giving the beads to watch women take off their clothes any time of year fun memories.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I just drove to South Carolina (myrtle beach) and back non-stop (well, gas & food breaks).

16 hours down and 15 hours back.

The way down had 2 1 hour stops for feeding the kids. I'm surprised though they were really good for a 2 year old an d a 6 month old. I was pretty nervous to say the least taking them on a 12+ hour drive.

jimk

My friend and I drove my PLymouth Duster from CT to Denver nonstop. We were 19 and we took turns at the wheel. I think it took about 36 hours.
Yeah, but this thread is for humans, not 19 year olds;)

I just drove to South Carolina (myrtle beach) and back non-stop (well, gas & food breaks).

The way down had 2 1 hour stops for feeding the kids. I'm surprised though they were really good for a 2 year old an d a 6 month old. I was pretty nervous to say the least taking them on a 12+ hour drive.

Definitely worth extra gnar points for completing drives of that length with young kids!

IIRC I've made seven cross country ski road trips (~4000+ miles) over the years, one of those was done solo. Longest continuous stretch of driving was from DC to KC. That's about 1000-1100 miles and must be my limit because I've done that particular haul three times on the way to CO. Always had additional driver (s) in car for 1000+ mile continuous runs.

BenedictGomez

what's the furthest anyone has driven in a clip without stopping for a night?

21 hours straight in the car only stopping for gas and fast food.

Tie.

Central New Jersey to Central Florida. I've done that trek probably twenty times, and normally it's 16 to 18, but the 21 was a nightmare trip. After that trip, I forged a new routh through PA, MD, and rural VA, that specifically avoids Philadelphia, Baltimore, and DC.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com

I did that same drive this year, but being in NJ I have a 4-5 hour head start on you. The in-laws are down there, so we've done the drive a bunch of times. I only have 1 kid, but I did it with a dog, so I'll call it a draw.

Savemeasammy

I just drove to South Carolina (myrtle beach)

Before kids, and when the kids were very young like yours, we used to drive to my parents in surfside beach straight through. Now that our kids are old enough to be a nightmare for a 16 hour drive, we break it up with an overnight.

I've done a number of solo drives to Lake Tahoe from NH and back in college.

Longest non-stops were done with my Dad. Prescott, AZ to Memphis, and Memphis to NH. Both were in the neighborhood of 24 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk