• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mis-mounted bindings?

C

cgulla

I recently purchased a pair of Volkl Vectris 184 cm shaped skis with 8.1 marker bindings from a friend this past season, that had been skiied on maybe 10 days total. But from Day One, I had trouble controlling the tips, and ended up with black toenails. The tips are slightly unstable at any speed, and I guess I was overcompensating by pressing down with my toes. I'm a decent skiier who has tried a few pairs of very similar rental skis with no problems.

I suspect that the bindings are mounted incorrectly, but do not know how to go about figuring out whether they are or not. Any suggestions?

Greg

Staff member
cgulla - I'm not a ski technician but it sounds like the bindings might be mounted too far back. Typically the ski will have a mark to help gauge the mounting location. As I understand it, this mark should roughly align with the middle of the boot. I would take the skis to a respectable ski shop and let them have a look and fix if necessary.

Did your friend have any problems with the skis?

C

cgulla

Thanks!

:beer: Thanks, Greg! Glad to hear back so quickly. Maybe I am not so crazy about this theory. I'll see if I can look up a shop around here, but the best one is the one that mounted the bindings in the first place.

The guy who sold me the skis did not have any problems with them. However, due to knee problems, he did not use them too much, and switched to boarding.