• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Missing persons

WJenness

On Tuesday something got me to thinking about a girl I went to high school and college with...

Her name is Maura Murray.

She disappeared after a minor car accident in Haverhill, NH over 4 years ago (Feb 9, 2004 to be exact).

This girl had seemingly everything going for her. Dean's list college student, long term boyfriend who she was planning to get engaged to, great athlete, etc. etc.

Timeline of the whole story is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maura_Murray
Her family's site about the situation is here: http://www.mauramurraymissing.com

I remember where I was and what I was doing when I saw her face pop up on the tv screen with a giant MISSING banner above.

There are so many unanswered questions about the whole situation that thinking about it just makes my brain run and run in circles.

I really hope that some day there will be answers. I feel the worst for Fred Murray (Her dad) and the rest of the family.

It's all very strange for me to think about someone just disappearing like this. I mean, we obviously see it on the news pretty often, but when it's someone you've known for years, even peripherally (I wasn't close friends with her, we were on the track and XC teams together in high school and cheering for during / congratulating after races was about as much as we ever talked), the game changes, a lot.

When I find myself in this contemplative reflective mood over this, I find myself looking around at my good friends, wondering if anyone of them (or myself) might some day meet a similar fate. Or was it a fate at all? Did she want to disappear? If so, why? Is she still alive and hiding? Is she buried in a shallow grave? etc etc...

Have any of you known someone who just disappeared like this? Were they found? How long did it take?

This is my brain. On overdrive... thanks for reading.

Also, since most of us spend time up north, if on the (several) million to one shot you happen to somehow see this girl, please drop a line to the family...

-w

Missing for 4 years??? I would guess 99% of people missing that long are gone forever..reminds me of the movie Big when the kid ended up on a milk carton..When I was a little kid I used to be nervous of getting kid-napped due to all the videos we used to watch in school about not talking to strangers..Who knows maybe just maybe she will turn up..I saw something recently about a someone who was a hostage in South America for nearly a decade..the family had given up all hope and she was freed.

WJenness

It is so, so strange with Maura. There has been so many extensive searches, leading to nothing. I wish we could find out what happened! Flowers are still left at the accident scene.

How far away is the accident scene from Lincoln?

I'm going to be up at the Highland Games at Loon next weekend, and I almost want to take a ride over that way... just because.

-w

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
Probably about fifteen twenty minutes away. A friend of mine lives around the corner from the accident scene. I will get you directions if you like.

Highland Games!! Always a good time, I love the drummers! The Scotch tasting is fun too! Now as I think of it, the fiddlers that come down from Canada are easy on the eyes as well!:beer:

WJenness

Probably about fifteen twenty minutes away. A friend of mine lives around the corner from the accident scene. I will get you directions if you like.

Highland Games!! Always a good time, I love the drummers! The Scotch tasting is fun too! Now as I think of it, the fiddlers that come down from Canada are easy on the eyes as well!:beer:

Thanks.

I sent you a PM.

-w

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Reading the wiki is heartbreaking. :( How could the ball have been dropped so many times? It seems like there should have been some answers... this really struck me:
Late October, 2006

* Volunteers lead a two day search within a few miles of where Maura's vehicle was found. In one particular area, a closet of an A-Frame house, cadaver dogs went "bonkers," identifying the likely presence of decomposed human remains. A sample of the carpet was sent to the New Hampshire State Police - no tests are known to have been conducted.
How was this not tested if they retrieved a sample?

It's all just so sad. :( And scary....

WJenness

Reading the wiki is heartbreaking. :( How could the ball have been dropped so many times? It seems like there should have been some answers... this really struck me:
How was this not tested if they retrieved a sample?

It's all just so sad. :( And scary....

Agreed, that one floored me.... There's always the chance that the information in wiki is wrong, particularly considering that the police never released the information on the case (which would be a reasonable decision if they actually had a shot of charging anyone), there's really no way to know.

-w