• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mittersill and Surveyors Tape

Puck it

I have been over 4-5 times this year and just noticed it today. Call me blind. It is along the chairlift line(orange). Baron's has orange also. Could be for the future pipe network. I have not noticed it until today when I went into the Birches. There was yellow tape on trees down the whole glade. I do not see why there would be surveyors tape in there.

4aprice

I thought I saw somewhere that the state of NH was going to make some sort of racing arena in the old T-bar area of Mittersill. I know that is above and beyond the original plans but it looked interesting and even included another lift.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Puck it

You are correct sort of. FSC is raising funds for it and it consists of a Super G course and snowmaking on Baron's. The old Taft slope which is farther skiers left then the T that you are talking about. The new T bar will along this SL and GS slope with snowmaking. It is the tape in the Birches that I am worried about.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I've been seeing surveyors tape at Mittersill for two or three years now. I noticed a lot more of it today. I saw the tape on Baron's and most concerning I've seen it in a few tree shots such as the chute near liftline. I can understand them flagging Baron's but they should keep outta the trees. Well, actually, on second thought... since Mittersill went on map, no one really maintains Mittersill trees any more so maybe that isn't a bad thing. :roll:

Do you wear a yellow jacket by chance? If so, I may have seen you today skiing liftline while I was riding the lift. I couldn't make out the skis, I was looking for the tram skis but I couldn't tell for sure but I think I saw them. If it was you, you were already skiing past my chair by the time I made the connection.

Couldn't believe they opened Mittersill today. If this was December, they would not have opened it in those conditions. I took two potentially dangerous spills (nothing serious, just potential) because of snakes and rocks. I'm fine skiing that stuff and taking the associated risks, but it is strange that Cannon (one of the most conservative mountains when it comes to ropes) would open Mittersill. Obviously they were going for bragging rights but they should have at least filled in the exit ramp. I've never had to jump off a chair before...

Puck it

It was me and I took a few core shots with the Skilogiks today by that point the legs were getting tired too. I had the music up even if you shouted out. I will be working the bases tonight.

I agree with your comments about the conditions. No base and soft snow leads to problems. I almost went into Saddle Sore but had second thoughts about the stream bed after seeing it running lower down Mid Hard. Bunny Direct was not bad but it had not seen any traffic when I went in. I had to jump from the lift the first time up when I did not feel my skis touch. I was WTF.

The tape in the tree shots has me really worried about what is going on. If only for marking and clean up. That is fine. I hope nothing more.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
You were making some damn fine turns down Liftline, nice skiing sir! I was surprised you had your Skilogiks out there today! :eek: I took a pretty big core shot as well. SS... I was more concerned about the rocks before the brook, pretty boney down there even in good conditions.

Tape in the glades... I am incredulously ambivalent. Part of me is like WTF and the rational side says that Mittersill is long since lost so who cares. Nice being able to do in one hour what used to take me all day to do. But even with only, what, maybe a few dozen people total over there? It goes fast. Mittersill no longer draws me to Cannon unless the lift is closed. With the lift open, I am starting to find you get better conditions sticking to the more well known routes rather than going into the area's best glades. It is just too easy for everyone to pick off their favorites one by one... so the rational side of me shrugs when I see that tape even while the emotional part is crying.

Puck it

You were making some damn fine turns down Liftline, nice skiing sir! I was surprised you had your Skilogiks out there today! :eek: I took a pretty big core shot as well. SS... I was more concerned about the rocks before the brook, pretty boney down there even in good conditions.

Tape in the glades... I am incredulously ambivalent. Part of me is like WTF and the rational side says that Mittersill is long since lost so who cares. Nice being able to do in one hour what used to take me all day to do. But even with only, what, maybe a few dozen people total over there? It goes fast. Mittersill no longer draws me to Cannon unless the lift is closed. With the lift open, I am starting to find you get better conditions sticking to the more well known routes rather than going into the area's best glades. It is just too easy for everyone to pick off their favorites one by one... so the rational side of me shrugs when I see that tape even while the emotional part is crying.

Thx.
I forgot to throw the old Monster 88's in the truck. Oh well, nothing my ptex gun will not fix. My best run of the day was first tracks down Profile under the chair and ripping thru the slot to Lost Boy's. It was a rinse, lather, repeat run.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Same for best run!! I got first public chair up Cannonball Quad and just was dumbfounded at how good Profile looked. Can't remember the last time I skied that trail, I couldn't resist. Ripped it straight down skier's left.

Cannonball

If you guys are there to ski with on Friday I may go to Cannon also. Had been considering BW since I have a free midweek there and the snow preservation is so much better. We'll see.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
If you guys are there to ski with on Friday I may go to Cannon also. Had been considering BW since I have a free midweek there and the snow preservation is so much better. We'll see.

If the rest of March is add cold as they say it's going to be, you won't have too worry about snow preservation yet, and can saved your voucher for April.

Cannonball

If the rest of March is add cold as they say it's going to be, you won't have too worry about snow preservation yet, and can saved your voucher for April.

True that! Let's hope. Just need to keep work cool with me continually disappearing for days at a time. By April I'm usually treading a very thin line. Thank god for smart phones.

Puck it

True that! Let's hope. Just need to keep work cool with me continually disappearing for days at a time. By April I'm usually treading a very thin line. Thank god for smart phones.

Just like Cooper Harris in Eurotrip. And he get a promotion too!!!

004EUT_Jacob_Pitts_022.jpg