• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

MLB Postseason Thread

ComeBackMudPuddles

Dodgers win the NL pennant just because Joe Torre deserves to go to the series after the Yankees insulted him last season and let him leave. Dopes! And I'm a Yanks fan.

Yeah, totally insulting to be offered a $5,000,000 base salary with the opportunity to earn an additional $3,000,000 in incentives (for a total of $8,000,000 for one year!). I know I'd be pissed!!!

When you think you're bigger than the team and you're not even a player, you've got to go.

FRITOLAYGUY

Yeah, totally insulting to be offered a $5,000,000 base salary with the opportunity to earn an additional $3,000,000 in incentives (for a total of $8,000,000 for one year!). I know I'd be pissed!!!

When you think you're bigger than the team and you're not even a player, you've got to go.

Joe earned the right to walk away when he wanted too after what he did for that franchise. Im not saying the yankees would have made the playoffs if he was the manager this year but a good manager is worth about 5games a year with his pitching changes and decision making, the rest believe it or not is the players, that being said at least the games in sept would have been meaningful in yankee stadium

ComeBackMudPuddles

Joe earned the right to walk away when he wanted too after what he did for that franchise. Im not saying the yankees would have made the playoffs if he was the manager this year but a good manager is worth about 5games a year with his pitching changes and decision making, the rest believe it or not is the players, that being said at least the games in sept would have been meaningful in yankee stadium

I totally disagree with anyone "earning the right" to walk away whenever they want to. Tough decisions have to be made for the good of the team...Ripken should have moved from SS earlier and he didn't....Jeter should think about changing positions soon (he should have moved for A-Rod, anyway)....Torre didn't hit, field or throw a single ball during the championship run. Sure, Torre was lucky to be in the right place and the right time with that nucleus of players, but before that nucleus of players, he was a losing manager. I like Torre fine, but I can't stand the "Saint Joseph" persona he and his fans cultivated. And Torre can't be credited for doing anything for Manny.....

Torre would have made no difference this year, and the circus surrounding him going for it another year would have been too great (too many people were sick of him already). Also, I don't think anyone would argue that Girardi isn't a much better handler of the bullpen.

ComeBackMudPuddles

the goat will have the last say yet again ... I hope your enjoying yourself Manny ... will he turn out to be the Sox curse ..

Manny is incredible. I'm happy to be able to appreciate him without the whole Red Sox/Yanks thing getting in the way. How he could turn it on like a switch in LA like that is absolutely phenomenal....

But, I'd be nervous as hell if my team paid him $80-100 million for 4-5 years....

FRITOLAYGUY

I totally disagree with anyone "earning the right" to walk away whenever they want to. Tough decisions have to be made for the good of the team...Ripken should have moved from SS earlier and he didn't....Jeter should think about changing positions soon (he should have moved for A-Rod, anyway)....Torre didn't hit, field or throw a single ball during the championship run. Sure, Torre was lucky to be in the right place and the right time with that nucleus of players, but before that nucleus of players, he was a losing manager. I like Torre fine, but I can't stand the "Saint Joseph" persona he and his fans cultivated. And Torre can't be credited for doing anything for Manny.....

Torre would have made no difference this year, and the circus surrounding him going for it another year would have been too great (too many people were sick of him already). Also, I don't think anyone would argue that Girardi isn't a much better handler of the bullpen.

When i say walk away i know this is a business and if it happened again next year where they missed the playoffs like this year i can understand letting him go but to offer him that bogus contract after once again making it to the postseason i think he at least deserved another chance this year without all these crazy contract negotiations. All i gotta say is scoreboard baby whos playing in october right now, the one u let get away or the one u brought in? exactly.

FRITOLAYGUY

Well you know how the Angels just have the yankees number in the playoffs, well the redsox have theirs thats for sure. Heading back to boston facing the best modern day pitcher in the playoffs, i like my chances. I know there are questions about his health but i think the sox planned it this way, try to get a split with 2 very good starters this year and have him pitch the swing game on full strength, well turns out it could be the closeout game instead.

JimG.

Staff member

I'm not going to argue with you...results speak volumes.

Girardi isn't qualified to carry Joe Torre's jock.

deadheadskier

Staff member

I hear what you're saying, but Jeter should not have moved for A-Rod. Jeter is a better fielder in his sleep than A-Rod and Alex has proven that by playing Manny like third base for the Yankees since he got there.

Mind you, I'm a Sox fan......hate the Yankees. That said, I respect a class act and great ball player. I loved Mattingly, Paul O'Neil, Bernie and I love Jeter.....Arod....not so much. Offensively he's produced, but he's a freakin' disgrace to the pin stripes.

MR. evil

I hear what you're saying, but Jeter should not have moved for A-Rod. Jeter is a better fielder in his sleep than A-Rod and Alex has proven that by playing Manny like third base for the Yankees since he got there.

Actually by the numbers (fielding %) Jeter has been one of the worst SS in baseball for the last 5 or so years. The whole cult of Jeter is nothing but hype.

FRITOLAYGUY

I'm not going to argue with you...results speak volumes.

Girardi isn't qualified to carry Joe Torre's jock.

lol best quote ive seen on here in awhile. I was glad to see Torre and the dodgers move on, and u know all hes thinking is calling some folks back in NY and sayin scoreboard baby.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Actually by the numbers (fielding %) Jeter has been one of the worst SS in baseball for the last 5 or so years. The whole cult of Jeter is nothing but hype.

I didn't know that; I would never say he's gold glove over the past five years, but he has seemed solid enough, especially in the clutch.

In my defense.......I don't watch too many Yankees games ;)

ComeBackMudPuddles

Mind you, I'm a Sox fan......hate the Yankees. That said, I respect a class act and great ball player. I loved Mattingly, Paul O'Neil, Bernie and I love Jeter.....Arod....not so much. Offensively he's produced, but he's a freakin' disgrace to the pin stripes.

Actually, no, not at all. A-Rod was a gold-glove caliber SS (a real one, not a fake one like Jeter...And I am a Yanks fan). Don't think you can find many people who would say that five years ago A-Rod wasn't the better SS. I think he'd still be a better SS than Jeter. As far as third base goes, except for last year, A-Rod has been an above-average third basemen, so I'm not sure what you're talking about, either. I think you're just part of the ridiculous "hate A-Rod" club. I will never understand Sox fans' special vitriol for A-Rod, when it was Sox management's fault for screwing up the deal that would have landed A-Rod in Boston.