• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Moguls moguls moguls!

Greg

Staff member
But am I ready for the Institution? :daffy:

There is no "ready". All are welcome. Hoping for some nice spring bumps to set up there in the next week or two.

Glenn

I'm looking forward to getting to Sundown! Spring there sounds like a blast.

Thanks Jay! If you see me under the lift, feel free to yell to keep my arms quiet. HA!

GolfingOwl

Looks to me like bumps are making a come back. They make skiing our local mountains so much more fun. Spent the weekend banging away at Camelback and there were certainly plenty of others on them as well. Had to spend several minutes at the top of the lines waiting for the carnage to clear several times the past two days. I've done more and better bump skiing in the Pocono's then ever before this year.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I agree. My 8-year old now loves moguls and we spent a day last week at Elk hitting the moguls (they have 3 runs they let bump up) - most mogul skiing I've ever done in a day.

Moguls do make these smaller mountains more fun. Glad to see Camelback is doing more of this. In the past, they actually let a green run bump up, which is almost unheard of.

Greg

Staff member
I agree. My 8-year old now loves moguls and we spent a day last week at Elk hitting the moguls (they have 3 runs they let bump up) - most mogul skiing I've ever done in a day.

Moguls do make these smaller mountains more fun. Glad to see Camelback is doing more of this. In the past, they actually let a green run bump up, which is almost unheard of.

I love reading post like this. So are moguls making a comeback? 2010 - the start of the mogul revolution? The 2000's sucked for bumps.

4aprice

That green run is Lower Cleopatra and it was in great shape last weekend. I think its one of the best training mogul runs around and I ski it alot. BTW I think it ranks higher then a green with those bumps on it, I've seen alot of people struggle with it. Between Camelback, Blue and Elk its been easy to stay in the Pocono's this season. If this storm pans out and Northern New England doesn't get more help from Mother Nature I may change my Mid March trip to the Catskills and Pocono's and save the hotel bill.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

GolfingOwl

Poconos Bumps

That green run is Lower Cleopatra and it was in great shape last weekend. I think its one of the best training mogul runs around and I ski it alot. BTW I think it ranks higher then a green with those bumps on it, I've seen alot of people struggle with it. Between Camelback, Blue and Elk its been easy to stay in the Pocono's this season. If this storm pans out and Northern New England doesn't get more help from Mother Nature I may change my Mid March trip to the Catskills and Pocono's and save the hotel bill.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Yes, that is it. Haven't skied Camelback in a couple years but I think it is great to have greens with bumps. Most mountains you are limited to blacks/double blacks and it is hard to learn. In the Poconos, most of the black bump runs ice up quick.

Elk has the best bumps in Northeastern PA. Was at Blue this year and skied some of the bumps - glad they are adding more bump areas. Sno has huge bumps on White Lightening, which is a true double black with the pitch and moguls, but they should add another area they let bump up that is not as steep. Jack Frost really needs to have more bumps. While small in size, they have a very liberal policy with allowing to ski in the trees (which yields some great bumps), which keeps things fun. To make things more interesting, they need to devote one of their "blacks" to bumps. They do let half of one of their blues bump up from time to time.

BTW - I am no great bump skier but am getting better with practice (at least now I can do multiple bump runs in a day and not be spent). And now that my son likes the bumps, I better learn quickly or my 43-year-old legs won't keep up.

neil

I'm a snowboarder, and I normally hate the bumps I've inadvertently had to go through on the east coast....BUT I just got back from a few days in Utah, and while they weren't huge bumps they were soft enough that I could turn in and out of them with little to no problems* and they were a lot of fun.

*I normally find I can't turn my board quickly enough on hard bumps so end up going side to side down the bumps which sucks.

GolfingOwl

Jack Frost really needs to have more bumps. While small in size, they have a very liberal policy with allowing to ski in the trees (which yields some great bumps), which keeps things fun. To make things more interesting, they need to devote one of their "blacks" to bumps. They do let half of one of their blues bump up from time to time.

Here I go opening my mouth and this shows up on Jack Frost's website:

"We are planning on letting the bumps migrate out of the glades on skiers right of Challenge slope, bump Floyds, bump side of Thunderbolt and some other areas off of Lightning for this weekend."

drjeff

i see this is slated for Ripcord.. i thought Beartrap was "THE" bump run @ Snow???

The trail name may have changed (Ripcord back in the day was called Slalom Glade), but the GLADE-IATOR is back where she belongs this year! And it's got some serious FANs that look forward to the sliding down the hill that day. Folks better not DUCT because I'm sure it will be captured on TAPE, and with the likely level of competiton, one will likely need to be a fast as the winner of the Kentucky DERBY to have a chance this year! :)

2knees

lets be honest, this is more of a free skiing contest than a bump comp. I've never seen real bumps on the 2nd half of that run. Its completely vertical.

ERJ-145CA

Mountain Creek lists 5 bump runs today and Hidden Valley lists 3 ungroomed runs in their mountain report today. Even Mt. Peter is not going to groom their 3 blacks, and they're always groomed.

Last edited:

ERJ-145CA

Here's a few pictures from Mountain Creek today:
Pipeline looking up from about 1/3 of the way down:
MC_Pipeline_03-08-10.jpg

Pipeline looking down:
MC_Pipeline_03-08-10_4_.jpg

Straightaway from the Cabriolet:
MC_03-08-10_5_.jpg

MC_03-08-10_4_.jpg

MC_03-08-10_3_.jpg

Last edited:

jaywbigred

Here's a few pictures from Mountain Creek today:
Pipeline looking up from about 1/3 of the way down:
MC_Pipeline_03-08-10.jpg

Pipeline looking down:
MC_Pipeline_03-08-10_4_.jpg

Straightaway from the Cabriolet:
MC_03-08-10_5_.jpg

MC_03-08-10_4_.jpg

MC_03-08-10_3_.jpg

ERJ, how'd those ski? Were the lines good?

Btw, Mt. Snow was all kinds of bumped up this weekend and skiing fantastic! I am sore as all hell today.

4aprice

Btw, Mt. Snow was all kinds of bumped up this weekend and skiing fantastic! I am sore as all hell today.

Skied Stratton Sunday after Magic Sat (all bumps) and I gotta say Stratton had some really good bumps. Upper Lift Line, Lower Spruce, Free Fall, Tamarack lift line under the Ursa Chair, and Bear Down were great. Some fun Glade runs too. I hadn't been there in a while and was quite pleased.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

ERJ-145CA

I only skied Pipeline once today and didn't ski Straightaway at all. I skied Pipeline at about 10:20 this morning and it was still pretty much frozen. It's probably very good now because it was 53 degrees when I left MC this morning at about 11:30. I had to leave early because I have to get ready and pack for my trip to Bromley tomorrow.:smile:

I really don't know what I'm doing in the bumps yet because I always avoided them. But for some reason I started purposely going into them after the big snow storm a couple of weeks ago. It's fun when they are soft but I don't have the bump skills yet for when they're frozen.