• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mohawk Mountain 12/16/2008 NIGHT

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Date(s) Skied: 12/16/2008

Resort or Ski Area: Mohawk Mountain, CT

Conditions: packed powder, loose granular, frozen granular, 28 degrees, cloudy but no precip

Trip Report: I arrived to a nearly empty lot; there couldn't have been more than 20 cars. Inside, the lodge was empty. I paid my $20 (wishing I could have gotten there 3 hrs earlier to take advantage of the cheap midweek tickets) and got on the snow by 7PM. Went up the Arrowhead lift (which was EMPTY), laughing to myself the whole ride up about how this trail used to scare me. Last year, I started my season on Mohawk's WROD on the same trail. I was expecting far worse snow conditions but it wasn't bad. Skied my way down the trail (only seeing 2 boarders and a skier on the way down) and boarded the same lift. Repeat. The next time up, I decided to take a connector to Wildwood. I don't think I had skied the top of Wildwood before (for some reason, I think it was bumped up the couple of times I was on that side of the hill during my first season). No real problems going down other than my right heel started to hurt. Up that lift. Got cold on the way up; the fan guns that were blowing snow on the adjacent trails made for a chilly ride. The top part of Wildwood was a bit steep by my standards, but I did just fine... and fine again... and again... and really, the night got to be very boring. If it wasn't for the boot dialing in issues, there would have been no excitement. 1 hour in, I was getting antsy and ready to head home. Maybe it's because I've gotten used to skiing with others recently, or maybe I've just outgrown Mohawk... I don't know. I started changing things up, trying to make challenges for myself, doing faster top to bottom runs on Arrowhead (which were getting to be fun). But I spent a lot of time thinking of what else I could be doing, what I'd be doing tomorrow, swearing off fast food (and planning my "good-bye to fast food" apres-ski meal)... Not my usual Zen skiing experience. :-? At 9:30ish, I called it quits. Of course, it started to snow just as I was bringing my gear to the car.

It was nice getting out, and I LOVED that there were no crowds...heck, it was like having the mountain to myself mostly! But... it just wasn't that great of a night. Next time will be better.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Most of my skiing normally is solo, though this was the first time this season that I was without any ski partners. Sundown was supposed to be closed all week so Sunday night I planned on going to Mohawk early in the week... then I heard the potential for snow and hoped that there might be some falling tonight, so I went, even though Sundown is re-opening Wednesday. No new snow, but that's okay. I would have had to wait until Thursday to ski at Sundown so even though it was a boring night, I'm glad I got out.

In some ways, boring is good for me. It means I'm getting over some of my fears.

Greg

Staff member
We've all had boring solo nights like that. Skiing with others is definitely more fun. Still if you pushed through the monotony, you probably built a bit of skill without even knowing it. Good on ya!

o3jeff

Maybe if you posted in the T & E forum and mentioned you would bring cookies you probably could of got some takers!

At least you got out which is better than what most of us did.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
:lol: You won't let me live that down now, will you, Jeff? :lol:

I actually wanted to go solo; sometimes it's nice to work on technique without having to worry about what others think of it. :D Like I said, I never used to mind going by myself. But I'm starting to realize how much more fun it can be to ski with others, even with those self-conscious concerns. Next time I'll post in T&E... and bring treats. ;)

Glenn

Getting out, even under not perfect conditions (be it weather or skiing buddies) can be just fine. As they say, even a bad day of skiing is better than a good day at work.

Glad you were able to get out, relax and make some turns.