• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mont Sainte Anne - 3/14/2013

snowmonster

Date Skied: 3/14/2013

Ski Area: Mont Saint Anne, Beaupre, Quebec

Conditions: 18-23F; Minimal Wind; Sunny in the AM; Cloudy in the afternoon, Snowing by 3 pm onwards; South Side - Cream cheese turning into loose frozen granular in the PM as it got cloudy, North Side - Hardpack and slick; Bumps were frozen solid as were any natural trails; Glades closed except one (I think)

Trip report:

This is a tale of two sides of the same mountain. The rains that fell on northern New England also fell on Quebec and the return of arctic temperatures was going to make it an interesting day. However, the South Side of the mountain was hit by early morning rays and the temps in the early morning actually softened the South Side.

I started my day on the South Side. I skied La Crete hoping to duck into the glades on La Foret Noire. However, all the glades were roped off because of all the cover they lost and the frigid temps the night before. La Crete and La Beauregard were covered in corn snow/cream cheese and it was work trying to push all that heavy snow around. The South Side has amazing views of the St. Lawrence River and it was hard not to stare into the distance at the Ile d'Orleans. After working up a sweat on that side, I ventured to the North Side.

The groomers here were fast and slick. Perfect for just bombing down at maximum speed. La Melanie Turgeon was a moderately pitched black diamond with no one around. I just made laps there over and over again. La Printaniere on the same side had some soft snow and was perect for making a variety of turns.

I bounced between the North and South Side and even tried some of the beginner runs. West Side, which is their natural snow zone, was closed. The lift there wasn't even on. I'm sure that would have been bulletproof too and no fun.

Late in the afternoon, I saw some woods (La Sidney Dawes, I think) that were not completely roped off (I think) so I just jumped in just to see what it was like. Turned out to be solid bumps and I ratlled around in there for a bit. The snow started falling near the end of the day and my last run was down La Montmorency which was on the South Side. Nice soft bumps that were getting refreshed with some fresh snow. I could have skied until 6 pm but I had promises to keep.

It was a great day at MSA. Night skiing this season runs until this Saturday. The glades looked fun to ski because of the pitch of the mountain and the tree spacing but I'll have to save that for another day.

I'm glad that I finally got to ski a Quebec City ski area. Je ski Mont Sainte Anne!

Mont Saint Anne from the road
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1363321155.510940.jpg

La Crete (South Side) looking into the St. Lawrence River
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1363321209.724568.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1363321229.885391.jpg

La Melanie Turgeon (North Side)
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1363321367.857821.jpg

La Printaniere (North Side)
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1363321474.493035.jpg

Last edited:

FRITOLAYGUY

thats a fun mountain i skied it once i was the only person on the backside of it, boy that shot driving up to it sureeee looks very similar to driving up to okemo

ScottySkis

I was their when I was a kid. Thanks again for pictures and great trips reports I got to vi back soon.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::);):cool::thumbup:

Huck_It_Baby

Nice SM. Looks like you had fun! You missed some great spring turns in Smuggs back bowls last weekend!

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I was there couple decades ago. All I can remember is that it was cold and conditions were rock solid. I also do not remember seeing the St Lawrence so it may have been snowing lightly. One other ting I recall is as we drove across that flat plain before Quebec half the car became encased in ice while the other half (the driver side? ) remained ice free.

snowmonster

Nice SM. Looks like you had fun! You missed some great spring turns in Smuggs back bowls last weekend!
I hope you saved some for me! Glad you made some turned in there!

I was there couple decades ago. All I can remember is that it was cold and conditions were rock solid. I also do not remember seeing the St Lawrence so it may have been snowing lightly. One other ting I recall is as we drove across that flat plain before Quebec half the car became encased in ice while the other half (the driver side? ) remained ice free.

Perhaps you were skiing on the north side which faces the mountains and not the river. I can see how visibility can play a rols. In the afternoon, I was skiing in a fog.

Well done Professor , Laissez le bon temps roulez !!!

Encore!

Nice TR snowmonster......

Thanks, man!

Don't pass up visiting the Basillica of Sainte-Anne-de Beaupre while you're in the area. The marble & stained glass work inside is truely astounding.

Had to be a good Catholic boy and do a pilgrimage. And, yes, that church is stunning.

Considering going here the second weekend in April. Timely TR.

Go for it. I hope they get more snow though for your sake so you can ski the glades that I was not able to. We expect a TR!