• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Montage Resort good Skiing?

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

I love the Northface trails at Montage and the lack of crowds there. Northface has about 600 foot vertical but White Lightning has the steepest headwall in the region and Boomer is typically left to bump up from top to bottom and never get scraped due to low traffic. Lifts are slow but I would rather spend an exta couple minute on the chair than in line, and prices are reasonable and often discounted. Nice glades too when there is enough snow. Probably my fav place to ski in PA, though I go to closer places more often. Almost never drive the extra 45 minutes to Elk because I can be at a Catskills Mt with about 5 to 10 minutes more driving. than Elk.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Gonna hit Montage on Sunday. Got a decent base to build on covering the whole Northface already, and SnowForecast.com (do folks find them reliable?) is calling for 9-13" Sat followed by 5-9" Sunday.

Last edited:

skimagic

Hmmm. Nice fat numbers. Mainstream weather media is calling for 3-6 total in that area unless there is a Montage Cloud effect or more moisture squeezed out by the wind turbine farm.

JoeB-Z

Lifts are slow at Montage is an understatement. Painfully slow and I ride fixed grips all the time. The upper half is extremely mellow. Blue is a lot better. But really busy. For those not used to Poconos skiing, the crowds of intermediate skiers are scary. Lodges top and bottom and a few runs that go the whole vertical straight down the vertical. I used to visit those when my mom was in assisted living in Bethlehem.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Lifts are slow at Montage is an understatement. Painfully slow and I ride fixed grips all the time. The upper half is extremely mellow. Blue is a lot better. But really busy. For those not used to Poconos skiing, the crowds of intermediate skiers are scary. Lodges top and bottom and a few runs that go the whole vertical straight down the vertical. I used to visit those when my mom was in assisted living in Bethlehem.
Combined lift time and line time per run at Montage on a peak day is about 20 min less than combined lift and line time at Blue. I stick to the bottom half other than a couple TTB runs. Northface terrain beats anything at Blue.