• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Month long trip to Colorado......

Tonyr

Holy cow!
Yea it was pretty horrible. My wife and son sat outside in the cold and snow the whole time while I waited in line. With so many different places to chose from to ski I think it will be a long time before we go back to ABasin. They would certainly have to get their ticket situation straightened out first.

Last edited:

LonghornSkier

How much snow from a base perspective do you think Crested Butte needs to open the whole mountain?

After the latest storm, they're at 33" of base. I've got a late January trip planned.

Bumpsis

Awesome trip - thanks for sharing the stoke!! Loved the pictures. Telluride has been on my list for the longest time. Somehow I have to find a way of getting that one in. I've been there in the summer/early fall for hiking. The town had a similar vibe to Crested Butte.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Awesome trip . I was fishing on Dillon reservoir in August and afterwards drove through Keystone it was surreal with the all the smoke and orange sky . I didn't get many bites while fishing but had a great time with the scenery . There's a Ridge on the Snake river arm of the reservoir that has a row of houses built on a cliff , worth driving past for the awe affect .

Tonyr

How much snow from a base perspective do you think Crested Butte needs to open the whole mountain?

After the latest storm, they're at 33" of base. I've got a late January trip planned.
By late January almost all of their terrain should be open from what I’ve heard. By mid Feb your safe but there are area's off of the main peak and north face that sometimes never open if it's a really bad snow year. We had a great time even without all of the extreme terrain open, you will too. Crested Butte is a special place.

Tonyr

Awesome trip - thanks for sharing the stoke!! Loved the pictures. Telluride has been on my list for the longest time. Somehow I have to find a way of getting that one in. I've been there in the summer/early fall for hiking. The town had a similar vibe to Crested Butte.
We liked the town of Crested Butte a little better but there is nothing prettier than Telluride. The terrain is awesome there, not quite as rowdy as Crested Butte but alot more diverse. It's also higher end if that is important to you. Telluride is definitely worth a visit over ski season.

Tonyr

Awesome trip . I was fishing on Dillon reservoir in August and afterwards drove through Keystone it was surreal with the all the smoke and orange sky . I didn't get many bites while fishing but had a great time with the scenery . There's a Ridge on the Snake river arm of the reservoir that has a row of houses built on a cliff , worth driving past for the awe affect .
We love Keystone, it's such an underrated ski area. The scenery is beautiful.

Tonyr

Here are my 2 photos of the day from Vail. That's a picture of Roger's run and an unmarked glade off of the Skipper. As you can see no one skis in the unmarked trees here!

Conditions are outstanding with over 85% of the mountain open including Blue Sky Basin which we will try and hit this weekend. It is crowded here on the slopes and in the shops and restaurants.20201230_131712.jpg20201230_120831.jpg

Tonyr

These aren't the best pictures but here are some shots from the North Rim at Vail yesterday. Some of the areas you can drop in at are ridiculous along that rim. You can ski around to easier spots, once you get past the very top part the bumps are pretty good down below. The South Rim is much easier to ski around trouble spots.

I was not successful on this attempt BTW. As soon as my right ski landed it hit a rock and popped off. You can see the landing area in one of the pictures the coverage was awful. One and done on that!
20201231_125434.jpg20201231_125029.jpg20201231_125327.jpg20201231_125316.jpg

jimk

That looks like what I know as Prima Cornice:

Attachments

• prima cornice vail.jpeg
    prima cornice vail.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 4

Tonyr

Yes they look very similar and have similar steepness. Prima Cornice is still not open for the season though. North Rim is marked as a single black but they had signs right in front of the entrance that said extreme terrain like the do before you would enter Prima Cornice. The run is definitely very challenging especially if you ski down the first entrance, it's mandatory that you'll leave the ground.

The trail that flows right from North Rim under the Northwoods Express lift is a good one too. Im not sure if it even has a name but that line down from the top of North Rim's first entrance then under the Northwoods Express lift has to be one of the toughest inbounds runs at Vail.20201230_135105.jpg

Last edited:

dblskifanatic

Great pics of A Basin! That Beavers run you took a picture of is probably one of the steepest blues I have ever been on. Pali trees are awesome and the bumps over there are almost always perfect.

The trees in Beavers are fun because you can link nice turns in there. That was our home mountain! Still is technically since we have passes there and proabably will get more days there this year than any where else. Too bad Montezuma Bowl was not open or Land of the Giants.

The snow in the Vail and A Basin pics looks awesome!

Tonyr

Great pics of A Basin! That Beavers run you took a picture of is probably one of the steepest blues I have ever been on. Pali trees are awesome and the bumps over there are almost always perfect.

The trees in Beavers are fun because you can link nice turns in there. That was our home mountain! Still is technically since we have passes there and proabably will get more days there this year than any where else. Too bad Montezuma Bowl was not open or Land of the Giants.

The snow in the Vail and A Basin pics looks awesome!
Yea I heard the Montezuma bowl was great, unfortunately that area was closed while we were there. Come to think of it, that blue in the Beavers is probably the steepest one I've ever skied, it should be rated a black. The Pali trees are awesome! They were the highlight of the day.

dblskifanatic

Yea I heard the Montezuma bowl was great, unfortunately that area was closed while we were there. Come to think of it, that blue in the Beavers is probably the steepest one I've ever skied, it should be rated a black. The Pali trees are awesome! They were the highlight of the day.

Glad you got it! I am jealous as we moved back east. Still have a season pass there so a February/March trip is in the planning stages. another in April and one in May. Spring skiing there is awesome as well.

Tonyr

Glad you got it! I am jealous as we moved back east. Still have a season pass there so a February/March trip is in the planning stages. another in April and one in May. Spring skiing there is awesome as well.
Do you stay in Keystone when you ski ABasin?

Tonyr

That is a nice town, so is Silverthorne nearby.

Tonyr

Thanks Nick we had a great time! Utah is next......