• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Moosilauke 12/26/16

wtcobb

Carriage Road tour this morning. I managed to get up the Class VI road despite it being unplowed (and me having put on my boots at the lower stop - driving stick in boots was the sketchiest part of the day).

Skin track is fine form. A few water bars with picky crossings on the lower third of the trail, but all's well after Hurricane.

I made it up not quite to Glencliff where the trail started to deteriorate quickly, so I decided it was time to click in and enjoy the downhill. Past Snapper was posthole city, which made for a chossy ride down. But manageable.

From Snapper to the runout was just beautiful. Chalky, squeaky snow and fast skiing today.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1482784763.054913.jpg

Good stuff below Snapper.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1482784794.843791.jpg

Bumpy road above Snapper.

The junk started falling just as I made it back on the road. Good morning to be out.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

granite

I'm planning a first time tour of Moosilauke some time this winter. Which trail head is the best start for a first time tour? Is it pretty easy to follow the routes?

becca m

nice report! re: best route - Carriage Rd!!!! Very easy to follow/find up to treeline. Above treeline - careful in a whiteout.

wtcobb

nice report! re: best route - Carriage Rd!!!! Very easy to follow/find up to treeline. Above treeline - careful in a whiteout.

Thanks! Agreed on Carriage Rd as easiest ascent/descent. Hikers do not frequent the trail as it has a very long approach compared to Glencliff/Gorge Brook. The trail is still blazed from the hiking trail and is very obvious - also frequently skied so you'll be following tracks all day.

Monday I didn't head above treeline - I stopped just shy of the saddle at the Glencliff trail junction. On the saddle where there's more sun exposure the snow was significantly shallower - a lot of rocks and bare ground. Tonight/tomorrow should take care of that as well as the water bars down low!

Above Snapper the trail also gets steeper and narrower - combined with the postholes from hikers it was tougher going down through this section. The only other skier out there that day turned around at Snapper, and I could see why.