• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mosquitos!!

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
When we were in Bethel, ME yesterday late afternoon, we were constantly being bitten by mosquitos. We paddled on the Androscoggin, and from getting out of the kayak, putting them on the car we had to keep swatting. Even while driving up to SR with the windows open they had gotten in for a ride and to keep biting.

How are the 'sqeeters where you are?

drjeff

This little sucker

41KS46QRS4L._SL500_.jpg

keeps most of my backyard skeeter free all season long! :)

Terry

They are vicious here. I was putting in wood last night and I bet I lost a pint of blood. The second hatch are always more hungry for some reason.

drjeff

A bug gas chamber?

The good ol' Mosquito Magnet. I was skeptical at first, but after seeing the dramatic improvement it made at my business partners house, I picked one up for my backyard 2 summers ago. It's made a HUGE difference in the mosquito population in my backyard, and we can now eat out on the patio anytime we want without bug spray/citronella candles or tiki torches going and not get a single bite all evening long!

Grassi21

The good ol' Mosquito Magnet. I was skeptical at first, but after seeing the dramatic improvement it made at my business partners house, I picked one up for my backyard 2 summers ago. It's made a HUGE difference in the mosquito population in my backyard, and we can now eat out on the patio anytime we want without bug spray/citronella candles or tiki torches going and not get a single bite all evening long!

i picked one up but didn't start running it until july. they say you should start in the early spring to eliminate the mommies before they breed. drjeff, do you get the occasional bite or are you completely squito free?

i noticed a huge reduction but started to wonder why we were getting some random blood suckers. the propane ran out two days ago and i have been too busy to replace the tank. i noticed a huge spike in activity from not having run it for two days. the tank will be replaced tomorrow! :) eager to see how it does next season when i start it earlier in the season. but so far i am convinced.

Hawkshot99

Maybe they just dont like me anymore:cry:. Have not been bitten in weeks but friends sitting right next to me complain like crazy and lay on the bug spray.

snoseek

I got bit by one in early july:-D.

I hope they go away before I visit back in two weeks.

bvibert

Staff member
They were out in full force tonight in Burlington, CT. :angry: I've been skipping the bug spray on my rides lately because I hate that stuff and it hasn't been bad before tonight.

drjeff

i picked one up but didn't start running it until july. they say you should start in the early spring to eliminate the mommies before they breed. drjeff, do you get the occasional bite or are you completely squito free?

i noticed a huge reduction but started to wonder why we were getting some random blood suckers. the propane ran out two days ago and i have been too busy to replace the tank. i noticed a huge spike in activity from not having run it for two days. the tank will be replaced tomorrow! :) eager to see how it does next season when i start it earlier in the season. but so far i am convinced.

I'd say that over the course of this year, between myself, my wife and my kids, we've had maybe a dozen bites, and most of those have come when we're out by the playscape which is a couple hundred feet from the Mosquito Magnet and abutting woods on 1 side and a farm field on the other. We just don't get bit in my yard since I've had the MM, and I most certainly do get bit as I'm out on the golf course given where some of my shots land from time to time :rolleyes:

As for keeping up with the tanks, I'm upto 4 20lb tanks that I own at my house now. 2 tanks for the MM and 2 tanks for the grill. That way I'm never without a replacement tank.

ctenidae

I grew up in central Arkansas, and our town is surrounded by flooded rice fields all summer. Every summer they host the Mosquito Fest, because Stuttgart is the rice, duck, and mosquito capital of the world (World Championship Duck Calling Contest is held in November). I think I developed an immunity to the little blood suckers. I hardly ever notice them.

Of course, growing up around agricultural pesticides may have something to do with it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
We live near a swamp and they are brutal at night. I purchased one of these though

thermacell.jpg

called a thermacell and it works quite well. pretty much will keep a 10 x 10 area mosquito free