• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most Intimidating Trails

bvibert

Staff member
Chute to Liftline at MRG -- It's a straight shot and moderately wide. It's bumped up, steep, and icy a lot. However, the intimiidation factor is having all those skiers on the Single hovering just above you. You know they're judging you. There's a pressure to perform at your best -- and not blow a turn or sideslip, or get into a wedge or fall...You get the picture.

I agree with that!

Newpylong

Anything that gives you "pause"... more to think about how to get down with my dull edges :)

Someone fell on Lower O at K in front of me on a slick day and they disappeared until they slid out at the bottom. That's a long way...
Ripcord at Snow looks downright nasty from the bottom. There is a reason why everyone skiing by stop and watch people come down.

ScottySkis

I have and while the trail "the Rumor" was steep there wasn't a pucker factor because it was wide and there was a run out. If you fell you would slide without any fear of hitting anything. My kids flew down it and I had to keep up so not much thinking about it and just did it.

Sometimes they have huge moguls and that makes it really expert.

steamboat1

Chute to Liftline at MRG -- It's a straight shot and moderately wide. It's bumped up, steep, and icy a lot. However, the intimiidation factor is having all those skiers on the Single hovering just above you. You know they're judging you. There's a pressure to perform at your best -- and not blow a turn or sideslip, or get into a wedge or fall...You get the picture.
Have you ever skied Chute before it gets bumped up? It's actually not that steep & would be an intermediate trail if it was groomed regularly.

bigbog

Having been out so few times over the last few seasons....I'll just be happy to be getting more days in..
Need to get something with a little more umph...than my Head iM72s....and with a little more width underfoot. Really wanna hit JayPeak, the Bush...Burke this coming winter.

Last edited:

MadMadWorld

The only marked trails in the east that intimidate in any condition is Smuggs Liftline and Black Magic at Magic. In my mind, having an audience is a huge factor as to whether a trail is intimidating. Another criteria is if I can injure myself without skiing it really hard. Black Hole and Tramline fit that mold.

The Slides too for the injury factor and the fact that it's the only marked area in the northeast to have ever have a recorded avalanche (correct me if I'm wrong)
Sent from my SCH-I545 using AlpineZone mobile app

Last edited:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
defintiely been on both of those when they are rock hard. better have sharp edges. Lower O is a way longer slide than Upper V. though.

Think Upper V is a bit steeper. With Lower O, I've sat in the lodge many times and watched people fall and just slide until they hit the trees at the bottom.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I'm surprised nobody is mentioning Jay's face chute's. For me that's definitely "Woooh - no way". Intimidated? Uh huh.

Savemeasammy

Liftline at Smuggs'. Narrow, steep - make that "Wicked Steep!"- and strewn with lift towers, rocks, and little cliffs. The trail itself is intimidating on it's own merits- having an audience watching adds a little intensity..! I can't wait to ski it again. I also look forward to skiing the tramline at Cannon and the Face Chutes to see how they stack up.
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1375400683.462802.jpg

wtcobb

I drive through the Notch daily for work now and look at the tramline and always think "how is that possible?" So narrow, so steep, and given that it's Cannon, often icy. Granted, there's no snow currently :-D

Can't wait to hit it this year.

I know its not east coast but this one section in mott canyon at heavenly was pretty gnarlyView attachment 9077View attachment 9078
Ill try and contribute to the east coast theme later

Sent from my iPhone
Skied Mott and Killebrew Canyon areas the only time I was at Heavenly and concur with the intimidation. It was warm so the snow was sliding and large chunks of granite below me kept me on my toes. Wasn't overly impressed with Heavenly, but it was the last day of a 6 day trip to Tahoe so we probably weren't at our finest!

skierbum

I had a pass at Cannon this past year and got to say that Tramline is probably the most technical trail I've ever skied. It's gnarly, with rock croppings popping out everywhere. The pitch isn't bad, but it's the rock dodging that causes the issues.

Got to Jay the weekend in April this year when we had that freak storm. Jay got a good 2 inches the first day and 5-6 the next day. Personally, skiing Face Chutes in powder was the most fun I've probably ever had on a trail. And I didn't do the glade part of Face Chutes, we traversed under the Tram Haus and took it from there. Once you get past the very large rock face, you have 4 or 5 turns and you're out. Those turns are the steepest turns I've ever taken on a trail, but the way they were that day, I wouldn't have preferred any other trail.