• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most Over/Under Rated Ski Resorts

Conrad

Website
www.youtube.com
Underrated: Saddleback, although it isn't quite the hidden gem as it used to be.
For overrated, I would go with Killington and Sugarloaf. Yes they are some of the best ski areas in the East, but they aren't stand alone, top notch, in a different league like many people people make them out to be.

abc

Over rated I think MountainCreek with NYC people.
Mountain Creek at least has the terrain potential, on days when it's not being over run, that is. More terrain than Camelback or Jack Frost, which are also equally over-run?

I would nominate Okemo instead for the overrated.

Gilligan

For underrated, I'll go with Killington.
Once again, you speak the truth Mr. Zee. Especially on this board, Killington is the most underrated.

I also agree with some others that Okemo is the most overrated.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Underrated - Shawnee Peak, ME. Doesn't have a whole lot of steep terrain, but the vertical there has really consistent pitch with minimal runout, there's some really well designed trails, excellent grooming and snowmaking.

Overrated - Sugabush South. Yes, I love Castlerock, Paradise, North Lynx area, the Mall and the trees. It has a lot of great things to offer, but it also has some really bad run outs and traverses/congested connector trails and it also very much lacks good cruising terrain. I won't go as far as saying North is better, but North does have much more consistent pitch and better fall line skiing over longer vertical. My main reason for calling South over rated is because so few people ski North in comparison and I think many of them don't know what their missing.

Both - Killington. Those who love the place WAY overrate it at an irrational level. I understand why those who call it home want it to be successful, but I don't know of any mountain in the east that has such vocal fans cheering for their home mountain to be considered the best by all and want it to be the most popular ski area with a million people skiing there a season like the "old days". The fandome for the place is more similar to a city sports team than a ski area. Those who dislike it, WAY underrate it an irrational level. It really does have some kick ass terrain, well above NE average natural snowfall, obviously great snowmaking, bumps and it is Massive. That size really is a big advantage on low crowd powder days. Midweek or early/late season, I bet Killington tracks out slower than just about anywhere.

The place really is awesome, but it's not that awesome.

steamboat1

Overrated - Sugabush South. Yes, I love Castlerock, Paradise, North Lynx area, the Mall and the trees. It has a lot of great things to offer, but it also has some really bad run outs and traverses/congested connector trails and it also very much lacks good cruising terrain. I won't go as far as saying North is better, but North does have much more consistent pitch and better fall line skiing over longer vertical. My main reason for calling South over rated is because so few people ski North in comparison and I think many of them don't know what their missing.
Say what????

:blink:

abc

Both - Killington. Those who love the place WAY overrate it at an irrational level. I understand why those who call it home want it to be successful, but I don't know of any mountain in the east that has such vocal fans cheering for their home mountain to be considered the best by all and want it to be the most popular ski area with a million people skiing there a season like the "old days". The fandome for the place is more similar to a city sports team than a ski area. Those who dislike it, WAY underrate it an irrational level. It really does have some kick ass terrain, well above NE average natural snowfall, obviously great snowmaking, bumps and it is Massive. That size really is a big advantage on low crowd powder days. Midweek or early/late season, I bet Killington tracks out slower than just about anywhere.
That sums it up perfectly, not just for Killington either.

For everyone who consistantly chooses one mountain over the rest, it's because it live up to his/her expectation! No overrating at all. And if the rest of the world doesn't share it, then it's underrated! ;)

I bet even for the consensus over Okemo, for a family with a couple of early intermediate who just want to cruise on well groomed wide avenues, the place is perfect! The fact the rest of the "hard core" skiers of AZ'ers not going there only means it's ... underrated! :roll:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Underrated -

The place really is awesome, but it's not that awesome.

Some good points, some bad. I for one love it, do I rave about it, no. If it seems it at times, it's only because of all the vocal dislikes, just trying to be fair and give it a fair shake. Is it the best in the east, maybe, maybe not, depends on the day. Do I want it to be successful with a million skier visits, not really, who likes a packed mountain and long lines. Oh, and I don't know any mountain in the east with so many vocal opponents

skiersleft

Underrated - Gore = as good as many Vermont ski areas, but doesn't get the recognition. Arguably better than Whiteface.

Overrated - Hunter = Hardcore skiers seem to think its quite challenging and way better than Windham. It isn't as challenging as people claim, and it's not clearly better than Windham.

STREETSKIER

I know what I'm missing ,dont agree mt Ellen has major runout . Longer runs at south ! North has some decent cruising but its all the same ,its colder and less sun too !! Gets old quick ( for me)i like the park there keeps south safer . See you at lp .!! If it weren't for tha silly slide brook chair it would have been sold years ago

xlr8r

Overrated

JAY PEAK, yes I said it. The trees are fantastic, but the trails usually suck. The groomers are too narrow for the amount of traffic they get, leading them to always being scraped off. The place is so windy that all the snow just gets blown off the trails, and a lot of the time the place is only half accessible because lifts are on windhold.

SUNDAY RIVER Over reliance on their fantastic snowmaking, outdated lodges and lifts. Gets compared to Killington a lot, but IMO is not nearly as good. They seem to have won the Boston market, as everyone I know seems to vacation at Sunday River instead of places in Vermont, I don't quite get it

Underrated

BRETTON WOODS They might not have any steeps, but they do get a lot of snow so their glades typically ski very well. The trails, while low angle do have a lot of character, unlike the trails at places like Okemo where every trail skis exactly the same.

PICO Often overlooked and driven by, but everyone who goes seems to have a great time. One of the best places to be on a powder day.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Overrated

JAY PEAK, yes I said it. The trees are fantastic, but the trails usually suck. The groomers are too narrow for the amount of traffic they get, leading them to always being scraped off. The place is so windy that all the snow just gets blown off the trails, and a lot of the time the place is only half accessible because lifts are on windhold.

SUNDAY RIVER Over reliance on their fantastic snowmaking, outdated lodges and lifts. Gets compared to Killington a lot, but IMO is not nearly as good. They seem to have won the Boston market, as everyone I know seems to vacation at Sunday River instead of places in Vermont, I don't quite get it

Underrated

BRETTON WOODS They might not have any steeps, but they do get a lot of snow so their glades typically ski very well. The trails, while low angle do have a lot of character, unlike the trails at places like Okemo where every trail skis exactly the same.

PICO Often overlooked and driven by, but everyone who goes seems to have a great time. One of the best places to be on a powder day.

Dead on. All points except Bretton woods, never been there.

steamboat1

Okay

well, what's your point of contention. what do you disagree with me on?
Saying south lacks cruising terrain. Every thing off Gatehouse chair is a cruiser (Sleeper being my favorite). North Lnyx has a nice cruiser skiers right which is groomed most of the time (forget the name). Just about everything off Super Bravo is a cruiser with only a few exceptions & if you don't like the traverse over to Sleeper you can ride the Valley House chair. Actually I've spent the whole day riding just Valley House the area has so much to offer. Talk about a long cruiser with sustained pitch covering a lot of vertical take Jester off Heavens Gate into the miriad of cruisers off Super Bravo. Even Castle Rock run over at Castle Rock is an excellent cruiser if you are lucky enough to hit it after it receives one of it's rare groomings.

Run outs there are a couple but none that compare to the long run out under the lower chair at Mt. Ellen. As for congestion Downspout down to Heavens Gate can be congested but if you know the mountain there are several other ways to get there that see relatively little traffic. As for the traverse from Super Bravo over to Valley House like I said ride Valley House if you don't like it & plan on skiing that area.

Lincoln Peak area has plenty of terrain available for all ability levels. To say it's over rated because you feel Mt. Ellen is under rated makes no sense. That's like saying Stowe is over rated because Smuggs is under rated. I will admit that one of my favorite cruisers in all New England is Elbow into North Way or Which Way at Mt. Ellen but that takes nothing away from the terrain at Lincoln.

Last edited: