• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most snow in the east?

BeefyBoy50

So I was looking on UnofficialNetworks.com today and they posted a video from Ryan Dunfee of TGR about Vermont backcountry skiing. The video wasn't loading on that site because it has a crappy server and a lot of ads, so I looked it up and watched it on video, which you can see here:

http://vimeo.com/31435641

Anyway, the description of the video says "Situated five miles up a private road and a stone’s throw away from the Canadian border, Lodge Theory sits on a ridgeline that collects more than 400 inches of snow annually as storms roll in off the Canadian plains – an absolute anomaly in a region where powder skiing is still largely considered to be nonexistent."
Now I understand that the region in this video is filmed near Jay, but the description claims that whatever pocket of woods this lodge is in gets even more snow than Jay- a mountain widely regarded as the snowiest on the East Coast due to the "Jay cloud" and orographic effect and other things I don't quite understand.

That got me thinking and I figured some of you would be more knowledgeable on the subject-
1 do you think these claims are bogus?
2 What actually is the snowiest place in the east (if it's not Jay, as average snowfall totals would lead us to believe). This could include non-ski area places (for instance the Presidentials) although I figure whatever area gets the most snow is likely to have a ski area on or very nearby it.

MadMadWorld

Jay does get more than other mountains in that area but not as substantial as they like to claim. The lodge was up near Gravity Bowl and I will leave it at that before I become hated by more locals.

ScottySkis

The most snow in the east happens at Syraucuse NY where all the snowmobiles heven for them. Maybe snowlover moved their?

Cornhead

From Wikipedia:
The Tug Hill Plateau of New York State has the most snow amounts of any non-mountainous location within the continental U.S.,

I can personally vouch for this, never saw, or skied, so much snow at once. I hope they stay in business, they're for sale. Snow Ridge may be only 500ft, but it is a special place. It's fun skiing pow when everyone else has squat.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Puck it

I can personally vouch for this, never saw, or skied, so much snow at once. I hope they stay in business, they're for sale. Snow Ridge may be only 500ft, but it is a special place. It's fun skiing pow when everyone else has squat.

Or skiing snow when everyone has none, like when I was in high school.

Cornhead

Or skiing snow when everyone has none, like when I was in high school.

I live in Binghamton, SR is 150 miles one way, but because it's lake effect snow, 90% of the drive is usually on clear roads when they get snow, another bonus. Makes for the ideal hooky spot too, "Maybe he really is sick, it didn't snow last night.";)