• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Desert Island, ME 12/31/12 - 1/1/13

jerseyrob

Our local weather forecaster was calling for 3-6 inches of new snow to fall Saturday night into Sunday. I fell asleep around midnight with about 4 inches already on the ground. Just before jumping into bed I checked the radar and there was a massive storm sitting right on top of us, circulating moisture out of the Atlantic. I remember thinking to myself that it seemed pretty odd we were only going to squeeze 6 inches out of it. I figured it must be warming up and turning to rain, as most storms do on the island. When I awoke around 7:30am, Sunday morning, we had 18-20 inches of light powder on our picnic table and it was still snowing HARD!!! I, anxiously, checked the mountain forecast for western Maine, thinking I was missing a powder day, and realized they had only received around 4 inches. The winds were blowing hard and the plow guy was stuck in our driveway so I decided to spend the day shoveling out and hanging with the wife, besides, the weather for Monday looked bluebird!! We planned to check out some local spots we had done a little "selective" cutting on last fall. The weather forecaster was correct this time and the next morning was, in fact, bluebird. After a six minute drive from my front door, we started out in waist deep drifts............I put together a short edit of a few of the moments from the last couple of days I'd rather not forget. If anyone is thinking of a winter visit to Acadia National Park, don't forget your skis! This island is filled with possibilities when there's enough snow!!

snowmonster

Holy sh!t!!! You did it. Congratulations, man! I've always wanted to ski Mt. Desert Island ever since I saw the tour in the Goodman book. Haven't seen a TR from there until I saw yours. Thanks! Great grab!:beer: Man, I'm jealous.

WWF-VT

Very cool - I did a bunch of hikes in Acadia last summer and thought there would be some fun places to ski.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
So this is Cadillac mountain? Until this thread I never even heard of desert island :lol:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2