• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow 12/08/06

BeanoNYC

Date(s) Skied: 12/08/06

Resort or Ski Area: Mount Snow

Conditions: Groomed Man Made Snow

Trip Report:

A friend of mine got caught up on some home plumbing and couldn't make the trip...bummer. I got to the Mountain alone around 8:15 all set to make the 9:00 first chair. As I was booting up in the lobby, I started talking to this guy from CT. We ended up hitting it off and skiing the whole day together. He posts on ASC's season pass holder site and hopefully he'll join us here at AZ.

The Summit Express was broke! So we lined up for the Summit Triple around 8:45 only to find out that we would have to wait on that one too! After all was said and done there was no lift service until about 9:45. :( The ride on the summit triple was frigid to say the least. We took two runs down Upper Canyon>Canyon>Standard. It was bulletproof corduroy, but fun none the less. By the end of the second run we were downright freezing. (As it turns out, it was around 10 at the base and in the negatives, with wind chill, at the summit; patrol kept warning everyone about frost bite.) After warming up we headed up the Summit Express (finally open!) and made it over to Chute on the North Face. Great snow and we had it all to ourselves. We made quite a few laps on chute then headed back down the main face to give Deer Run a try. Deer Run was empty and we took advantage and shot down real fast. After lunch we went down river run and back to the North Face for some more turns. Our last two runs together was
U. Canyon>High Traverse>Upper Overbrook>Canyon>Standard. It ended up being the best runs of the day for me. We had a quick :beer: then John went to Wilmington for the night in preparation for KMart tomorrow. I went up for two more runs; Deer Run at mach speed and finally U. Canyon>High Traverse>Upper Overbrook>Canyon>Standard for old times sake. All in all after a crappy start it ended up being a great day thanks, in part, to another lonely skier I met while booting up.

A few notes before the pics:

1) Snow guns were going all day but I'm not sure how much good they did considering the wind was blowing the snow everywhere except the intended trails.

2) I think I forgot to mention this about Killington and this trip to MS reminded me. ASC is offering free bag check now!!!! It seems that they're trying to discourage people leaving their bags unattended in the lodge.

Now for the pics:

Upper Canyon
47b6cc29b3127cce8054c4fd218600000016108EZt2bFq5c6

Exhibition is not quite there yet
47b6cc29b3127cce8054cff6611000000016108EZt2bFq5c6

Deer Run (dogleg left)
47b6cc29b3127cce8054d2f7a0b700000016108EZt2bFq5c6

Guns 'Blazing
47b6cc29b3127cce8054c37c619c00000016108EZt2bFq5c6

thetrailboss

Staff member
Nice report and pics, Beano.

Killington was good yesterday PM. Lots of crud and some pow to be had. The place was packed for a Friday. Report coming soon...

Newpylong

Cool report. I had a good time there midweek. Good to see them expanding some terrain... I only have a couple other buddies who I ski with and they usually can't make it when I can. If anyone wants to get some runs at Mt. Snow or the Big K/Pico sometime let me know (I have an All east pass but Mt. Snow is my home mountain). Solo can be fun but gets old quick....

BeanoNYC

Cool report. I had a good time there midweek. Good to see them expanding some terrain... I only have a couple other buddies who I ski with and they usually can't make it when I can. If anyone wants to get some runs at Mt. Snow or the Big K/Pico sometime let me know (I have an All east pass but Mt. Snow is my home mountain). Solo can be fun but gets old quick....

I'll let you know next time I'm going up!