• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow 4/12

tree_skier

Arrived at about 9, I had a hard time getting the kids moving. Temp was in the 50's with some sun. Went straight to the face and skied everything. Jaws had a few bumps and was excellent, Olympic also had some small bumps and was very nice everything else (Challanger, timbers, chute, free fall and Plucket)was pretty smooth with plunket being my daughters favorite of the day. there was some heavy showers from 10 to just about 11 and the kids needed some encouragement to stay out but cleared up with the sun coming out around 11:30. about noon we went back to the front side and hit upper ledge which was very nice but was getting a few bare spots and then hit the bumps on ego which were fabulous.

All in all an excellent day. They still have an incredible amount of snow and could be 100% open if there was staff for the lifts.

vcunning

Yep, it was a great day . . .

An odd question for you . . . you mentioned that you had heavy showers between 10 and 11? Was that on the North Face? We were on the main face at that time and didn't see any showers. It was a little foggy at the top, but by 10:45 we started to see bluebird skies.

Just curious. We saw heavy showers at 7:30, but nothing after that.

Newpylong

Just a a reminder - if you can foresee yourself wanting to ski throughout April and do not feel like travelling much further north, then by all means make a visit to Mount Snow! They will stay open as long as the skiers keep coming, but if things slow up substantially, they will shut down. There is tons of snow left, please make the trip!

tree_skier

Yep, it was a great day . . .

An odd question for you . . . you mentioned that you had heavy showers between 10 and 11? Was that on the North Face? We were on the main face at that time and didn't see any showers. It was a little foggy at the top, but by 10:45 we started to see bluebird skies.

Just curious. We saw heavy showers at 7:30, but nothing after that.

Yes that was on the face. It was quite heavy but being as it was fairly warm not too uncomfortable.

tree_skier

It is most of the pitch. Ego Alley has been the primary race training/race hill although it is losing the homolagation for next season, so it has a ton of snow on it. The seeded it a little over a week ago. It gives you about twice the length of beartrap with very good lines

Greg

Staff member
It is most of the pitch. Ego Alley has been the primary race training/race hill although it is losing the homolagation for next season, so it has a ton of snow on it. The seeded it a little over a week ago. It gives you about twice the length of beartrap with very good lines

Awesome! Thanks for the info!

jaywbigred

I was there Saturday and Sunday.

Some comments:

1) they do have a ton of snow, even as some bare spots were forming, elsewhere the base looked deep.
2) The sustained bump line that I skied were all on the main face: Exhibition, Ego Alley, and a short section on Yardsale.
3) reviews of the trails listed in 2) -

Exhibition - a shortish field, with weird troughs. I couldn't quite place what was wrong with these bumps, but I had trouble with them, and watched a number of people eat it pretty good. I think it was something to do with bumps having been formed when the snow was faster/harder, and the spring conditions on Saturday. It was difficult to a rhythm going.

Yardsale - A short, steepish field that was actually pretty nice on Saturday but got a little crusty when it was cold on Sunday.

Ego Alley - this was the best of the bunch, with the longest field on the mountain (that I found--didn't ski too much on the North face). These were the bumps they seeded earlier in the week that had the feature pic on the website. They were decent, a nice rhythm was had without any difficulty. Obviously, not the worlds steepest trail. Also, I think most people would be able to tell that these were definitely seeded bumps; I found the shapes somehwat odd, in a very rounded sort of way. Overall I give them an A for effort and a B- for skiability/enjoyability.

4) It was snowing when I left on Sunday.

jaywbigred

Also, I have video to post, but I am still waiting on mods to let me know when AZ will support embedding from Photobucket....(there is a thread about this in the Support forum...)

2knees

Also, I have video to post, but I am still waiting on mods to let me know when AZ will support embedding from Photobucket....(there is a thread about this in the Support forum...)

throw it up on youtube. i need to see this. i really really really need to see this.

Greg

Staff member
I was there Saturday and Sunday.

Some comments:

1) they do have a ton of snow, even as some bare spots were forming, elsewhere the base looked deep.
2) The sustained bump line that I skied were all on the main face: Exhibition, Ego Alley, and a short section on Yardsale.
3) reviews of the trails listed in 2) -

Exhibition - a shortish field, with weird troughs. I couldn't quite place what was wrong with these bumps, but I had trouble with them, and watched a number of people eat it pretty good. I think it was something to do with bumps having been formed when the snow was faster/harder, and the spring conditions on Saturday. It was difficult to a rhythm going.

Yardsale - A short, steepish field that was actually pretty nice on Saturday but got a little crusty when it was cold on Sunday.

Ego Alley - this was the best of the bunch, with the longest field on the mountain (that I found--didn't ski too much on the North face). These were the bumps they seeded earlier in the week that had the feature pic on the website. They were decent, a nice rhythm was had without any difficulty. Obviously, not the worlds steepest trail. Also, I think most people would be able to tell that these were definitely seeded bumps; I found the shapes somehwat odd, in a very rounded sort of way. Overall I give them an A for effort and a B- for skiability/enjoyability.

4) It was snowing when I left on Sunday.

Thanks for such a detailed review of the main face bumps! Are the Exhibition bumps on Upper Exhibition, or the section of Exhibition skier's left of Ego? Bascially, can you hit all three of these fields in one run?

throw it up on youtube. i need to see this. i really really really need to see this.

Yeah - YouTube that sucker. I looked into the Photobucket thing. It gets tricky there since the "variable" is an entire URL that seems to vary, not a single identifier, like YouTube.

jaywbigred

Thanks for such a detailed review of the main face bumps! Are the Exhibition bumps on Upper Exhibition, or the section of Exhibition skier's left of Ego? Bascially, can you hit all three of these fields in one run?.
No, I believe not. the Exhibition field begins below where the last entrance to Ego that gets you into that [Ego] field from the top is. I believe you can get to Yardsale from both. As a bonus, they had a little park setup in front of the Grand Summit Hotel you could get to from all 3 bump runs; you could get to the lowest rail (beginner, wide style) and the two lowest jumps (a kicker and a table top) plus one more jump that was formed at a trail convergence (between 2 low blues---no traffic at covergence at all) that was a defecto last jump for the little park,as everyone who went through the park hit it on the way to the list.

Yeah - YouTube that sucker. I looked into the Photobucket thing. It gets tricky there since the "variable" is an entire URL that seems to vary, not a single identifier, like YouTube.

Ok, here goes:

Last edited:

Newpylong

The bumps definitely look widely spaced. I can't remember them ever seeding bumps at Mount Snow, so what the hell, good attempt I guess. Maybe more next year.... : )

I bet they will be real nice in the next few weeks.

jaywbigred

The bumps definitely look widely spaced. I can't remember them ever seeding bumps at Mount Snow, so what the hell, good attempt I guess. Maybe more next year.... : )

I bet they will be real nice in the next few weeks.

I'm betting they will get nice. I woudln't say they were widely spaced. Just a little weirdly shaped. Definately needed decently quick feet to stay in the zipper imho.

2knees

very nice! damn good rippin.

the bumps and lines just look a bit premature. You can still see the roller shape in them. nothing a little traffic wont tighten up. I'll be there thursday. It'll be interesting to see what ego alley looks like by then.