• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow--recommendations for "must-dos"

JohnQ

I'm headed to Mount Snow with my family on Wednesday evening and skiing Thurs-Sat then headed home to avoid the crowds. We had initially planned to arrive Thursday evening but with the potential for some good snow we wanted to be in place before it hit.

I'll ski anything that doesn't involve air time, my girls just turned 7 and they're solid '5' skiers. Still working on full parallel turns and have only been on groomers. They're fearless, though. My wife doesn't ski and will be snowshoeing or some other activity. We're staying about a mile north Mount Snow. My question is what should we absolutely do while we're there for 3 days. Restaurants, tubing, fun things for the kids, etc.

Glenn

I like the Saloon for good, fairly priced eats and drinks. The Last Chair has a huge arcade which the girls would probably love. Tubing is fun, certainly put that on your list. High Country offers some good snowmobile tours. If you did that midweek, it would most likely just be your family and the guide. Brattleboro isn't that far away and has some good places to eat. Manchester has some good eats and the outlets as well.

Euler

For kids (and me) Snowdance can often be a ball...it's the widest trail I've ever skied on...really unusual for the east coast.

For some mellow, forgiving natural terrain, if we get a decent amount of snow on Thursday consider taking them on either of the "Dippers" (there is a short, steep pitch at the end of this..you can see it from the base of the Sunbrook Quad on lookers left.

Over on the main face, consider "One More Time" as another option for low key, ungroomed terrain suitable for advancing beginners. As of right now, there is a loot of exposed grass, rocks and ice that might or might not be intimidating for beginners, but it's certainly nothing "dangerous". The rocks are smooth and when you hit one you more or less ski right over it.

Hope you have a great time!

JohnQ

Thanks, guys. Appreciate the guidance. This will be the girls' first "mid-sized" mountain experience so want them to have fun without getting in over their heads. I'll probably put them in ski school the first morning for a few hours so I can get the lay of the mountain and figure out what they'll be comfortable on.

Food is always key but even pizza after a bit of tubing will probably be a good time for them. A friend is a member at Hermitage so he's sharing a couple of passes with us for Saturday over there. Will be a good relaxing day with no crowds after a two full days at Mount Snow.

One last question: are there good places to drop boot bags in the lodge so we don't have to change in the car? Where would that be?

ScottySkis

Thanks, guys. Appreciate the guidance. This will be the girls' first "mid-sized" mountain experience so want them to have fun without getting in over their heads. I'll probably put them in ski school the first morning for a few hours so I can get the lay of the mountain and figure out what they'll be comfortable on.

Food is always key but even pizza after a bit of tubing will probably be a good time for them. A friend is a member at Hermitage so he's sharing a couple of passes with us for Saturday over there. Will be a good relaxing day with no crowds after a two full days at Mount Snow.

One last question: are there good places to drop boot bags in the lodge so we don't have to change in the car? Where would that be?

They have a free bag check at Mountain Snow main lodge.

drjeff

The suggestions so far a good! The 3-4+" of powder I skied in with my family this morning should make it real close for Mount Snow to get a groomer or two on some of the easier natural snow terrain to take care of the bumps and thin spots that have formed due to skier/boarder traffic the last few days. Up until now (and it might not quite be there yet) they just haven't had enough base to put a cat on any natural terrain with more than a beginner pitch.

Also, for a safe, controlled, fun way for your kids to try a few park features, check out the Grommet learning park next to/below the Carinthia base lodge - its a mild pitch, lift served 100 yard long or so park with a few small jumps and short, flat, low height boxes and rails that lots of young (and sometimes not so young) kids usually love to play on for a bit!

Have fun! The snow is great now!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Also, for a safe, controlled, fun way for your kids to try a few park features, check out the Grommet learning park next to/below the Carinthia base lodge - its a mild pitch, lift served 100 yard long or so park with a few small jumps and short, flat, low height boxes and rails that lots of young (and sometimes not so young) kids usually love to play on for a bit!

Dr. Jeff, does Cooper's still have seeded moguls? Those are great for kids, especially if they're just learning the bumps.

And (for my own interest) how's Beartrap looking? Seeded or natural bumps?

drjeff

Dr. Jeff, does Cooper's still have seeded moguls? Those are great for kids, especially if they're just learning the bumps.

And (for my own interest) how's Beartrap looking? Seeded or natural bumps?

as of this morning the bumps on Cooper's weren't there. They do have a roped off 10 foot high or so jump there for the freestyle team to train on. They did have seeded bumps below the jump a few weeks ago for one of the weekend kids program fun races.

They did seed bumps center/left on Beartrap last week

JohnQ

The suggestions so far a good! The 3-4+" of powder I skied in with my family this morning should make it real close for Mount Snow to get a groomer or two on some of the easier natural snow terrain to take care of the bumps and thin spots that have formed due to skier/boarder traffic the last few days. Up until now (and it might not quite be there yet) they just haven't had enough base to put a cat on any natural terrain with more than a beginner pitch.

Have fun! The snow is great now!

Thanks. Thursday and Friday (in particular) should be fun if the storm moves inland. Thanks for the suggestion on Grommet as they will probably have fun trying some of that out.

C-Rex

For food, check out the Vermont Country Deli right off exit 2 off 91 in Brattleboro. They have AMAZING food. They also have a spot in the lodge that sells their delicious mac and cheese.

ScottySkis

For food, check out the Vermont Country Deli right off exit 2 off 91 in Brattleboro. They have AMAZING food. They also have a spot in the lodge that sells their delicious mac and cheese.

That is awesome deli. They have one in the hotel to at Mountain Snow.