• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow says they cleared a bunch of new woods.

bdfreetuna

http://www.wintrymixcast.com/single...illington-Sunday-River-Vail-and-Mount-Snow-QA

Listened to this podcast right now. Guy representing Mt Snow says the biggest new thing is they cleared a lot of woods, great lines, lots of em, etc.

So Mount Snow as of now (or last season), the woods were pretty limited. The woods skiers left of Olympic are really nice. Another decent shot somewhere towards the other side of the North Face area. A short thing over towards Sunbrook. And another short, badly cleared thing lower in the middle mountain.

Question about the new woods: Are they going to be on the map? If not, where are they? The guy was making a big deal about all their new woods and I'd kind of like an idea where to go so I'm not spending my day at Mount Snow skiing the sides of the trails cautiously hoping to find something.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Peaks traditionally shades the gladed areas on the trail map, but doesn't name them. At least that's the case at Attitash and Wildcat

slatham

Apparently the silver lining to the delay in EB5 money has been using excess personnel to clear glades!

Based on past behavior, they will at least identify the gladed areas.

But if you love glades, then hit Magic!!!!

bdfreetuna

I figure there's kind of limited area for woods at Mt Snow because for the most part their trails are so dense there's not a lot of "woods" in between. But if they cut a bunch of short shots all over the place it would make the mountain a lot more fun.

Tin

71841924.jpg

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
The fact that this thread had 6 posts before getting a post like ^^^^^ amazed me. Proof that Alpinezone is still in summer mode.

There's no such this as tree skiing south of Killington, other than at the most amazing mountain in the entire skiing universe which represents all that is good and wholesome, Magic. Besides that, tree skiing doesn't exist. The wild unicorns attack the gapers unlucky enough to enter such woods. It's all flatly groomed boulevards with higher person-to-trail densities than an 1890s Manhatten Tenement building. The only place worthy of skiing south of the VT/NH border is Sundown, which reigns king of the Flatlands. All other Flatland ski areas are mere mortals compared to the godliness of ski Sundown, where the moguls are always round on it's 500 feet of insane vertical gnarliness.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Thanks for the post and the link to the podcast. I have recently discovered it and enjoy it. However, whenever I listen on iTunes at work I cannot pause it and have to listen all the way through or lose it. :?:

thetrailboss

Staff member
The fact that this thread had 6 posts before getting a post like ^^^^^ amazed me. Proof that Alpinezone is still in summer mode.

There's no such this as tree skiing south of Killington, other than at the most amazing mountain in the entire skiing universe which represents all that is good and wholesome, Magic. Besides that, tree skiing doesn't exist. The wild unicorns attack the gapers unlucky enough to enter such woods. It's all flatly groomed boulevards with higher person-to-trail densities than an 1890s Manhatten Tenement building. The only place worthy of skiing south of the VT/NH border is Sundown, which reigns king of the Flatlands. All other Flatland ski areas are mere mortals compared to the godliness of ski Sundown, where the moguls are always round on it's 500 feet of insane vertical gnarliness.

It has been a really long time since there were any Sundown threads.

bdfreetuna

Mount Snow is pretty lacking in tree skiing besides Olympic woods which IMO ranks up there with the good stuff. Steepish and tight up top, opening up gradually, and covering most of the vert of the North Face pod.

If they open up something new rivaling that I'll be impressed. I just don't see where they'd put it.

tree_skier

my guess is they cleaned up some of the "official" and well used "Unofficial" areas. There was a lot of blow down and ice damage going back more then a few years especially in sap tapper, the plunge and dark side of the moon. Also Moose Hood went from 30 yards wide to a single toboggan track. So clearing up those would big help.

Sundown in the "right" frame of mind can be fun. Lots of laps, but midweek skiing can be had. You just need to set your expectations....

reefer

my guess is they cleaned up some of the "official" and well used "Unofficial" areas. There was a lot of blow down and ice damage going back more then a few years especially in sap tapper, the plunge and dark side of the moon. Also Moose Hood went from 30 yards wide to a single toboggan track. So clearing up those would big help.

X2. Plus Fantasticks. I'll say 7/8 years of neglect (at least). They were in tough shape. I was thinking of setting up some type of work day because I was skiing there a lot back then, but then I re-discovered Magic..........................
A couple of those pics. on the blog are definitely Sap Tapper and Fantasticks.

Last edited:

Highway Star

Actually there's no really decent reliable tree skiing south of Stratton.

DJAK

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
skitheeast.net
Thanks for the post and the link to the podcast. I have recently discovered it and enjoy it. However, whenever I listen on iTunes at work I cannot pause it and have to listen all the way through or lose it. :?:

Feel free to toss out topic ideas. Unfortunately since it's my hobby not my FT job (plus raising kids) I have to keep the time I sink into it under control, but still always interested to hear topic suggestions. Season 3 should be underway in early October in some fashion.