• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow VT, Friday Jan 26, 2007

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Date(s) Skied: Friday Jan 26, 2007

Resort or Ski Area: Mount Snow VT

Conditions: Extremely hardpacked, snowmaking dust atop

Trip Report:

Here's a quick report for those who might be considering MS this weekend.
Mr. Weather Guesser got the temps right - started at -2F Base, -10 summit, but I think it only warmed to +4 at the base.
So the conditions were not as bad as I thought they might be. they were way off base on the winds forecast. Calm all morning, then, there were a few gusts around 1-2pm but that was about it.
It was the temps that brought me in about once an hour.
Backlava was the best investment made all season.

Only about half the trails were opened. I was astonished to see so many closed blues.
It was extremely hard-packed, with some pilings here and there of windblown snowmaking.
It skied off fast. Get there early for the best snow. It will be gone by about 11.
There wasn't much pow on the trail edges, you couldn't be fussy.
The greens were good cruisers for a little bit, but they were scrapped off too.
I think if you stay on green as beginners, you are all set. Beginners progressing to intermediate would have a hard time on blues. solid intermediate skill will be ok on blues.

People seemed to follow me around. I'd find something good, with some pow, like LODGE, get a couple runs in on "untracked windblown", then the third run, I saw all kinds of people on it and it was almost entirelys scraped off.
Frankly, the blues skied like the blacks, largely because they were all groomed out.
I stayed on Grand Summit chair most of the day because it was fast; you could lose all your heat just sitting on the chair. I swear, the "outpost" chair on the northface is the slowest chair in the world. I was frozen stiff when I got to the top.

Pick of day? Well, uh, um Exhibition, top to bottom. Stay to skier's right, under the chair. Ski in the grass. Yes, I said ski in the grass. It's not OOB. It's got nice, soft, floatable powder, with lots of grass portruding. You don' t get hungup on the grass at all.
try it. I must have done the fallline down it 5 or 6 times. that's the only challenge today for me.
Everything else was just damn fast.

South bowl didn't look pretty, but it looked poachable, except that it's a fishbowl, kinda hard to do it discretely. The ski patrol were being a wee too strict, yelled at one fellow who ducked at rope to take a 20' shortcut back to open trail. hmmmm....

They say nastar will be open tommorrow. Promised todya, but it didn't run.
canceled at last minute.

they could use more natural. There were lots of blues they weren't even trying to make snow on. they looked like rockpiles. Other looked poachable,
I'll post pictures later. I only have pics of top and bottom. The air was too damn cold to stop and take my fingers out of my gloves.
MS is the only thing around with snow on it. roads, yards are generally clear, except for dusting maybe.
Stowe/MRG/Bush/BV/Smuggs/Jay got all the goods (I was luck to be there last week).. If you have a choice, go to Northern VT. If not,
stay with the areas that have good snowmaking. I can't imagine what kind of shape magic is in.

as I traveled S. on I91, streams of humanity poured north in their 12mpg mega-truck-limos.
I suspect the areas are going to be mobbed this weekend with the weatherguestimators saying we will have "moderating temps"
It's going to bring out the masses. If you must go Saturday, catch the first few chairs before the posers arrive at 1030.
It will scrape down fast. An inch or two are expected this weekend, that will sooth the wound only a wee bit.

This may be as good as it gets (who knows, my guess is as good as the weatherguesstimators), so if you are hesitating, I woudn't.

MrMagic

a true skiing Hero!! glad to hear some people made it out despite the cold.

was there a lot of snowmaking?

BeanoNYC

I'm sorry I didn't know that you were there Bill, I would have met up with you for a few turns. Carinthia was the best for me today. Upper and Lower Nitro were fun. North face was fun (except for those wacky roller/moguls on Fallen Timbers) My buddy made it down Ripcord...I didn't want to even give it a try today with everything so bulletproof. We had made mention that everything seemed "overgroomed" today. Just too hard/groomed and fast on everything.

As far as the temperature...Patrol told me it was -16 at the summit with windchills in the -40's .... I was bundled up, big time, so who knows for sure. No pics for the same reason as you. We called up the snow report this morning and got a great laugh when the guy said "If you're skiing today you are hardcore ... and I respect that." It was our mantra for the day.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
snowmaking

a true skiing Hero!! glad to hear some people made it out despite the cold.

was there a lot of snowmaking?

Suprisingly not. I think there was snowmaking on only one trail going on, somewhere around Overbrook trail. BTW, Snowdance (Blue) trail was crappy. I would have thought they would be piling it on. Kinda strange, since everywhere else I've been has been pumping like made/you couldn't avoid it. What are they thinkin???

My record for skiing in the cold was at Saddleback in '83. It was -20 at the base at 8am, it warmed all the way to -5. One warming stop for every run. I was suprised yesterday, I got 3-4 runs inbetween warming stops. Either I'm faster, snow's shorter or my memory is fading... all of the above?

Last edited:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
nope...

I'm sorry I didn't know that you were there Bill, I would have met up with you for a few turns. Carinthia was the best for me today. Upper and Lower Nitro were fun. North face was fun (except for those wacky roller/moguls on Fallen Timbers) My buddy made it down Ripcord...I didn't want to even give it a try today with everything so bulletproof. We had made mention that everything seemed "overgroomed" today. Just too hard/groomed and fast on everything.

As far as the temperature...Patrol told me it was -16 at the summit with windchills in the -40's .... I was bundled up, big time, so who knows for sure. No pics for the same reason as you. We called up the snow report this morning and got a great laugh when the guy said "If you're skiing today you are hardcore ... and I respect that." It was our mantra for the day.

Hmm, I wonder if I made it all the way over to the left side of the resort. I usually don't pay attention to trail names (I'm a wanderer both in terms of resorts and and trails. I have to look at the map when I write the trail report and guess where I was!) I usually don't hit the same resort more than once each season.

Last edited:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Here are the photos

Here are the photos. Sorry, best I have, too damn cold. Taken with camera phone.

Oh yeah, and Mount Snow has Bag Police now too. BRAVO! But they do one better, they have a FREE staffed bag check, so you can (a) feel good about not getting it stolen and (b) make better use of space. This is probably an area where Sugarbush's new lodge operations could learn something from.

Last edited: